Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman iCN630V2 Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman iCN630V2 Released
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Navman iCN630V2 Released Reply with quote

Navman have just announced the release of their Navman iCN630 V2!

London, UK, January 2004: Driving has just become easier, thanks to Navman’s all new in-car satellite navigation system, the iCN630 V2. Loaded with the latest GPS (Global Positioning System) and European mapping technology, including 3D map view and Postcode search, the iCN630 V2 is guaranteed to be the safest, and ultimate way of navigating from A to B.

The beauty of the Navman iCN630 V2 is that the system can be easily transferred from car to car in seconds with no installation cost. Whether running around town in the Fiat Panda or dashing from Glasgow to London or Paris to Frankfurt in the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, users can decide on a whim in which car to install the system. Once mounted on the windscreen or dashboard, sit back and marvel at the iCN630 V2’s great new features.

The 3D Experience
Forget about staring endlessly at a hard to read A to Z guide while simultaneously negotiating the road ahead, because the Navman iCN630 V2 delivers an amazingly detailed and clear, colour 3D map view. Displayed on its 3.8-inch TFT LCD screen, the driver can choose any viewing perspective – from the most acute 3D angle complete with approaching towns and cities appearing over the horizon, to zooming out 200 miles to reveal an entire country wide 2D map of the journey. Whichever setting makes the driver feel at ease, the cars exact position will always be displayed on screen for added security.

What’s your postcode?
For the first time, the iCN630 V2 offers a five digit postcode search that will calculate the destination’s address even quicker, while improving the accuracy of its performance. Other options when planning a route include the ‘avoid area’ feature. Should prior news of road works or traffic congestion become known, just select the offending area and the iCN630 V2 will navigate around it via the quickest route. Not only that, should the driver unexpectedly hit a diversion, it will re-calculate your route to get the users back-on-track™ with out any fuss. For added safer guidance, the iCN630 V2 gives turn-by-turn voice direction, giving new meaning to the term ‘back seat driver’!

Set up and go!
Setting up the iCN630 V2 is very simple. With complete street level maps for 15 European countries on CD ROM (including UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Austria, Switzerland, Portugal, Spain, Norway, Denmark and Sweden), users simply connect the iCN630 V2 to their PC and download the relevant maps for their holiday or business drive across the continent. Also logged into the memory are POIs (Places of Interest) like, shops, cinemas, petrol stations, caravan sites, hotels, and historical sites, so users can organise their journey to the last detail.

The Navman iCN630 V2, is priced around £999 Inc VAT. For further information on contact Navman-Europe on t:01293 449 882 or visit the website at www.navman-europe.com
allyourbasekris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm seems very reasonable at only £1173 Laughing Oh not counting the cost of a pc at home.

Still if there is a market for it. Laughing
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're £174 over, it's £999 inc VAT. This is the price that the original Navman iCN630 sold for when it hit the street last year, although it's been discounted to £899 recently, it doesn't surprise me that we see the new version come back in at £999.
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So its finally out - can registered users expect a free update! Question

And I have already emailed Navman asking the same question!

If nothing else I need new maps and the existing bugs sorted. Maps because I live in the midlands and this new toll road has been built and it consequently has moved the M42 northbound about 100yrds west! And it confuses the GPS. 8O

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked navman.co.uk and it seems that the V2 is new bit of hardware as they are still selling the V1.

If this is the case and there is no forthcoming upgrade for the V1 then Navman can go stuff themselves if they think I'll buy their goods again.

Even if I'm wrong, shouldn't Navman have said that all V1 owners will be getting upgrades very soon with the V2 announcement?

The whole thing smacks of a cynical marketing ploy.

And I am also very wary of Tele Atlas maps because they have not mapped Ireland except for Dublin and Belfast - that will be a retrograde step for me because at least NavTech have mapped all of the major cities in Ireland and the adjoining roads.

So if I upgrade I will have LESS map coverage.
tasdisr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a reply from Navman on the new mapping software;

We have just completed testing the new software and maps for your unit.
We
have not gotten a definite date for release of the new software. I have
been told it will be released the first quarter of this year. We will
be
contacting all of our customers via email. You may also want to check
our
website from time to time for any updates.

thanks
Frank
StarKnight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have iCN630 V1... bought it last summer... it's not even an year old... with the great feature to upgrade the firmware simply downloading it from Internet... a feature so far never used because Navman never released an update (at least not publicly)... and V1 has a good firmware but far from being bugfree !

Now I see this new model and I'm asking:

- Is its hardware compatible with V1 ?
- Will ever Navman release an update to V2 for V1 owners ?
- Now that there are 2 new products (iCN620 and iCN630 V2) will Navman take care of us owners of their older products ? Or will we wait forever for a bugfixing ?

Hope to find an answer to my questions... soon or late...
tasdisr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have responded to Navman about whether this would be a free upgrade available to current owners of if there would be a charge. I will post the
response when received.

Thanks
Frank
MickH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be missing something here...

I would have thought that (from a manufacturers viewpoint) one of the main advantages of selling proprietary hardware is the ability to 'lock' customers into a medium/long term commitment of having to buy any future software releases to keep up to date, rather than being able to flit between different product manufacturerss.

If Navman forget about their existing V1 customers and concentrate on pushing the V2 system, they will have succeeded in alienating a good proportion of their existing customer base.
tasdisr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again,

Here is the reply that I received from Navman regarding the upgrade.

Frank, We have not gotten all the specifics on the update in regards to cost and distribution of the update. We will be sending out new cd's to everyone. There may be a nominal charge ($15) for the update. Thank you for contacting NAVMAN, USA

Thanks
Frank
anglefire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a reply from Navman UK and the upgrade is expected in the next 3-4 weeks and will be FOC. Existing users will be emailed.
Thumbs Up

Website

The answer is 42. Now what is the question?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there seems to be a little confusion regarding the iCN630V2 and upgrades, I have the following information available:-

- iCN630V2 will go on sale in February (date currently not formalised)
- V2 Software/Map Update will be free of charge to all existing iCN630 customers who have already registered their iCN630 via the Navman website, and you will all be contacted as soon as the update is available whether you are in the UK or in Europe, but you will only have 30 days to register for the update to receive it free.

- iCN620 - I am awaiting confirmation on whether there will be an update for iCN620. I would think probably not at this moment in time as the iCN620 has UK only maps (not Europe) and is new, but an update may be available later in the year.

- SmartST Pro - This update is for the iCN630 only, I am awaiting clarification whether there will be updates and whether these are FREE.

I will be receiving official information on this shortly and I will this as soon as I receive it.
StarKnight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very good news !
Can't wait to get the updates ! :D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update from Navman this evening is that Navman will not be providing an update to the iCN620 in terms of postcode support, route avoidance and 3D maps, but a map update will be available a little later and existing iCN620 customers will be notified in due course (over the next 3-4 weeks) and this update will be free to iCN620 customers.

This will set the iCN620 and iCN630 apart (as well as the iCN620 only supporting UK maps) and more so reflect in the Retail prices of both models.

Navman would also like me to pass on to everyone that they are offering these updates for a limited time FREE OF CHARGE to registered customers, and although not obliged to do so, they DO value their current customer base and have decided for this release that they will offer it FREE OF CHARGE, but as map updates and development time costs money, please do not expect all future updates to be FREE OF CHARGE.
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Navman Updates Reply with quote

It is good to see this big company offering FREE updates for maps etc....
Its a shame ALK CoPilot4 can't be as helpful....Why do the customers of CoPilot V4 have to be at the bottom of the pile...Well done Navman Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: