Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom ONE map: Where's the River Thames Gone ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom ONE map: Where's the River Thames Gone ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianux48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Tomtom ONE map: Where's the River Thames Gone ? Reply with quote

After many frustrations with Tomtom Navigator 5 crashing on my IPAQ, (probably more to do with the PDA) I decided to get the new Tomtom one (new eddition) europe. I have No complaints about the hardware, but the maps are considerably less detailed, major rivers, lakes and lanes are simply not there!. I made a direct scale comparison between the Nav 5 maps build5.210 (5430) and the 6.560 version (map 652) on my new "ONE". Sonning Lake in Berkshire , the River thames and several unnamed roads are just not there but are very clearly and acuratly shown on my IPAQ

I asked tomtom support if this detail was not included because this was a europen map and a due to space issues, and if I purchased the UK and Ireland so called detail maps would I get the same detail as my Nav 5 maps display.

Tomtom reply was "we use different map suppliers and maps are designed only for road Navigation", which does not actually answer either question.

I have noticed that UK maps on a tomtom GO510 seem to be the same detail as I was getting with my Nav 5. I am quite happy to purchase a uk and ireland specific map IF It will show the same details as my Nav 5 maps (and as I have seen on the current GO510). Tomtom seem unwilling or unable to answer this question.

Could these maps have been simplified in order to run on the slower CPU in the "ONE". I am hoping some other user has managed to find and answer they can share. Thanks in advance for any replies
ianux48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, how far does the Thames run on your maps, mine just stops at Staines !!. I have some side by side screen shots which illustrate my problem but I cant figure how to post them
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylegs wrote:
Well looking at my map data and browsing map I can see the Thames and all the bridges and the blackwall tunnel....So I am puzzled...

Thats on my Tomtom one v2 Regional UK and Ire map ver 660.1219

That's the reason. The TomTom v2 Europe has NavTeq seamless maps covering the whole of Europe, and many waterways, rivers, lakes etc are not shown. The TomTom v2 Regional UK and Ireland uses TeleAtlas maps, which show a lot of this information.

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
ianux48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
thanks for your help, I really wish I could post these screen shots as they are quite striking. I know these details are not required for road navigation, but I have got use to them being around, and frankly I find them helpful. The fact that the Thames stops at Staines is stupid, its still a considerable waterway way into Oxfordshire

The question to Toimtom was essentially, if I buy the UK regional map will I get the additional UK detail I have seen previously, if so i am happy to pay up. They did not understand the question or simply didnt want to answer it. So if anyone can check a ONE regional and see if the lakes and smaller waterway are included out beyond Staines that would be helpful, also if you can tell me how to post images here I am more than happy to do so. Thanks again

I even considered getting a GO 510, but after reading your post crazylegs, I am glad I steared clear. Smile
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could change your 'schemes' to see if another one shows the river....
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very probably due to the map supplier. I remember when I was using CoPilot 5 (Navteq map data) there were no rivers shown. I also have the TomTom ONE NE Europe (again Navteq map data) and that doesn’t show rivers. My other TomTom units that use Tele Atlas map data do show rivers.

Mind you, it may also be a space issue, as the TomTom ONE NE Europe uses a 1 GB SD storage card, of which only about 8MB is free

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
chookman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianux48 wrote:
the Thames . . . just stops at Staines !!.

This is because Thames Water has diverted it into their resevoirs. This is why they have been able to lift the hosepipe ban in Southeast. :D :D
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
It is very probably due to the map supplier. I remember when I was using CoPilot 5 (Navteq map data) there were no rivers shown. I also have the TomTom ONE NE Europe (again Navteq map data) and that doesn’t show rivers. My other TomTom units that use Tele Atlas map data do show rivers.

My little i3 showed rivers, that uses Navteq maps.

Privateer wrote:
Mind you, it may also be a space issue, as the TomTom ONE NE Europe uses a 1 GB SD storage card, of which only about 8MB is free
Regards,

I suspect that youve hit the nail there.

Scoobs

I'd be lost without it !!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoobydooby wrote:
Privateer wrote:
Regards,

I suspect that youve hit the nail there.
All the Western Europe Seamless Maps fit into 1GB. Mine does, and the Thames goes way back.Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
erniesone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add my useless information, on the Tomtom One V1 the Thames goes to Ashton Keynes but on the Garmin Nuvi 306 it goes a further 6 miles, past Kemble / Ewen.

(However, the Garmin maps make rivers look like a bit of string and do not zoom to actual width).

Any advance on that?
ianux48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: The Thames is back Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I bit the bullet and purchased the UK and Ireland (Teleatlas Map) and am happy to report that I now have the same details as I do on my old IPAQ, rivers lakes and unammed roads galore. The world of the seamless map is indeed sparse

The new maps would not fit on to the same memory card so I did a backup of my previous installation, deleted the maps and reinstalled the new map and postcode files, didnt realise the favorites would go as well. I took the opportunity to dump the TomTom speed camera files in favour of those from this site, as i have nearly ended up with a few points because tomtom dont reliably show mobile sites!.

so happy bunny for now Laughing
geedee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Maps Reply with quote

Ian

Could you not have used the old UK map from your IPaq ?.

I must agree with you on the Ipaq, as my 4700 keeps hanging after 30 or so mins,I have tried every hack including upgrade to windows 5.alas to no avail.

Graham
ianux48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham

According to the compatability chart on this site the Navigator 5 maps do not work with the new eddition one application.

The main problem with my IPAQ (3970) seems to be the card slot, quite often when I turned it on there were no maps found. Also using a bluetooth receiver with the old IPAQ was troublesome. i can really complain i got it for nothing and the software was not legit. It did me proud for 6 months or so.

I am very happy with the tomtom one (v2) and the only complaint is with the windscreen mount, which I feel could have been a bit better engineered.

Ian
geedee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Maps Reply with quote

Hi Ian
Thanks for the info. Since writing I have moved my butt and found that the N series aparrantly run Windows with the option of Symbian 9 as an add on. That would explain why they run the TT6 as well as the Ipaqs.

I am seriously considering TT One v2 but I would like one with BT for hands free calling, mainly for my wife who would prefer not to use an ear piece.

Unfortunately, most if not all of the hands free BT units are full of all sorts of tricks which we do not require, but unfortunately add to the cost.

It is a pity TT have not added BT (hand free) to the one, but I am sure this will happen.

Graham

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: