Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Where to get the maps of Singapore & Malaysia
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to get the maps of Singapore & Malaysia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Where to get the maps of Singapore & Malaysia Reply with quote

Hello,

As I will be doing my bid for the Degree Confluence Project (www.confluence.org) next month, I'd like to know where I can get the maps for Singapore and Malaysia.

And, while on the subject, what would happen anyway if I were to power up my Medion in S.E. Asia without the maps for that region on-chip? Would I still be able to get a read-out of my position, coordinates-wise? Or would I just get a lot of bleeps, a blank screen and a bunch of data errors?

BTW, if you have a tip for us on how to use the unit without access to a car cigarette lighter plug, I'm all ears.

Cheers.

Raffles
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently investigating if there is a vendor of street navigation software for S'pore and Malaysia.

Yes, you can run your GPS application, and it should give you the normal position readout. Just no map position unless you use local maps.

As for the energy question - have a look if the digital camera rechargeable battery packs have the same voltage and connector as your GPS receiver (normally 5V). Depending on the capacity they can give you plenty of energy when away from the cigarette lighter. Since you are in S'pore you can also consider solar panels to run the setup or to rechage your batteries, both in the Medion and in the rechergeable pack.

If you had a Palm Pilot you could use this software: http://www.pilotzone.com/palm/preview/294527.html

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lutz.

I've also had word back from Navigon; they told me that no maps are available for that region. I'll have to try another vendor. It's a moot point, because all I need is the coordinate readouts, which you reckon will be displayed. You're positive about this? Do you get a blank screen, apart from the readout? Reason I ask is that the coordinates serve as proof for the Confluence.org project. I can't have error alerts on my evidence photo's, see.

As for the power issue, thanks for that tip. I'll build on it.

Cheers,

Raf
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out:

http://www.malaysiagis.com/related_technologies/gps/resources4.cfm

These maps are biased towards Garmins but with a bit of tweaking with GPSMapedit you may be able to export them to OziExplorer. I have not used the maps yet so I don't know about the quality of them.

The other thing you could do is use a scanned paper map with OziExplorer.

As for the co-ordinates, you should see these on your GPS status screen even if you have no map for that region.

Good luck!
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skip.

Bummer though, as I just found out that the confluence I'm after is 20 km off-shore. Doubt that those maps will cover that area.

No real worries, however, because all that's required is the coordinates; using these I can guide the fishing vessel that's taking me out right to the exact spot.

Let me just confirm that you've actually seen that happen, i.e. the coordinates are still displayed? If not, then I'll just get one of those GPS phones, no sweat.

Cheers,

Raffles
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
Thanks Skip.

Bummer though, as I just found out that the confluence I'm after is 20 km off-shore. Doubt that those maps will cover that area.

No real worries, however, because all that's required is the coordinates; using these I can guide the fishing vessel that's taking me out right to the exact spot.

I don't know your specific GPS but, pretty much any GPS will show your lat and long on the status screen. This is regardless of maps being loaded for the area or not.

Check out http://www.oziexplorer.com/ and then download a map from http://www.mapblast.com/ and calibrate it for use with OziExplorer.

It looks like N1 E104 is in the Riau islands which seems to be part of the Indonesian archipelago.

Good luck!
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actally, I'm after this one:

http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?id=18091 (3°N 104°E)

But I'll have a go at those sites, maybe I can get a map in there, after all.

Cheers,

Raffles
igurevich38
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handmap map of Singapore runs on PPC also. You can get it here:
www.handmap.net

For Malaysia there is a free map available for Perak that runs in Mapopolis 3 (not 4).
You can download the map here:
http://www.tourismperak.com/pda.cfm
And then download Mapopolis 3 (it's free) here:
http://64.208.105.215/downloadppc3.jsp
Don't download it from Mapopolis' main page (www.mapopolis.com) because it's version 4 and this map wouldn't work in it.

I think there is also a product called MapKing that has maps of Singapore and Malaysia. The web site is http://www.matlastech.com/mapking.htm. I am not sure if they have an English version, because everything I saw was in Chinese, but you can try contacting them. Also try contacting these guys, they seem to have some info about it as well: www.mapasia.com .
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igurevich38, you're a star! I'm going to do just that.

Many thanks,

Raffles
igurevich38
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came across another product called agisNavigator that has both Malaysia and Singapore maps. This one has full navigation.

www.asiagis.com.sg
Raffles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I browsed their site, but it looks as though they deal in maps proper, i.e. hard copies only. Or am I missing something? Do you see a download area there?

The actual region I'm interested in is actually offshore. You reckon those spots are mapped also?

Either way, Medion has assured me that even if I have not fired up the map for that particular region, I will still be able to display the coordinates for the confluence in question. This is my main aim of course, as I need to verify my exact location.

Would be great if I could see where I'm going, though ;-)

Cheers,

Raffles
igurevich38
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure which website you're referring to by not being able to find the software.

Here is the direct link to the web store to buy agisNavigator. It will probably be your best option as far as navigation:
http://www.asiagis.com.sg/agis/Shopping/store_front.asp?cat_id=Software

Bu the free options I posted before will be just as good for showing your location, they just may not tell you where to go next.
yaraee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapking recently released new maps for Malaysia and other cities, almost covers all major roades.it has pc and ppc version
http://www2.mapking.com/en/GetSoftware.htm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: