Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP Ipaq 6915 + TT6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Ipaq 6915 + TT6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: HP Ipaq 6915 + TT6 Reply with quote

I am just bought a HP Ipaq 6915 with an authorised version of TT6 on. Is it true that the Ipaq has to download a file periodically to enable the GPS and TT6 to continue working? I am sure I read it the other day but dammed if I can find it now!
Thanks for any info. Looking forward to using TT again after going to Navman and my other unit which is a Nuvi 660.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly, but it helps. The GPS unit in the 6915 is an AGPS, or Assisted GPS; this means that you should regularly download a text file with updated satellite orbit data, in order to speed up lock-up timings (it can and does, if you set it to do so, do this automatically for you); without this data, it'll take longer to gather the required into to get a 3-d fix on your position. It downloads this via GPRS/Data over your phones' data link, via your Phone's Service provider - if you haven't got a data download quota built-in, this might come as a rude shock - I got nabbed for a tenner or so extra in my last bill from orange due to this.

Hope this helps.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, didn't know about this. Can I download this over Wifi instead which I can do at home? Is it only downloadable by GPRS?
This puts a whole new slant on buying this machine!! I also read that you can get a ten day "fix" but, again, can't find this. Any ideas please?
Doug
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read up a bit more! I understand you can download these files by Activesynch which is obviously much cheaper than GPRS. Is there a website somewhere where I can read up how to set up the pda to do this? I only get the machine today and the guy said the software disk was missing. Is this going to cause me a problem and if so, where can I download the software files I need. I obviously don't need Activesynch V4.2 or Outlook as I have these. Do I need the Quick GPS fix application or should it be installed in the ROM?
Thanks
Doug
ianbr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been running an HP6915 and Tomtom 6 for a while now.

The cheapest and best way of getting the AGPS files is via activesync and your desktop internet connection. This makes the updates free but you will need to install a program that is on the disc that comes with the HP6915. The disc is labelled "Getting Started CD" but I don't know if the programs on it are available as a download.

With this software the process of getting the AGPS files is completely automatic once you are synced to your PC.

On the 6915 go to Start - Settings - Connections - Quick GPS Connection - Settings - Untick "Initiate GPRS Connection for Updates" if you don't want to use your phone data link for the AGPS downloads - ie you can opt to just do the downloads via activesync if you want.

Having the current AGPS file makes tomtom superfast in getting a full satellite lock. It takes mine about 4 or 5 seconds once the main tomtom screen is up to get a full lock. I can also get a full lock in the middle of the house with it.

Best of luck getting the disc you need.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, found out that after syncing the phone last night. And what you said about quick sat fixing is absolutely spot on! I sat in my living room, well away from the window and got a fix within seconds. Stunning!
The only problem I have now is that some keys on the blurdy keyboard are not responding and the damn thing has to go back to HP on Monday for a fix. Not a good start. Love the phone though and the guy gave me the activation codes etc plus all the codes for a reinstall of TT6 if it gets wiped. I think that is all I will need, I hope.
Doug
ianbr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Just in case you haven't yet discovered the dedicated Ipaq 69xx forum pages at Mobility Today there is a good discusssion on AGPS at.... http://mobilitytoday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14337.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: