Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - VIP. PLEASE ALL HGV DRIVERS READ THIS.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

VIP. PLEASE ALL HGV DRIVERS READ THIS.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
123dixie123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: VIP. PLEASE ALL HGV DRIVERS READ THIS. Reply with quote

Hi all. I bought a Tom Tom 510 yesterday to replace my RAC 110 satnav with Route66 software because I was sure that it would be far better. Well I wasted my £ ! The TT doesn't do any industrial estates. Neither can you search by just tapping in the name of a place. You have to go through the task of Town then street then if your lucky you have to scroll through all of the names to find the one you want. Thats if its in there. The icons are in black and white. The sreen display is poor compared with the RAC model AND you cant' do fastest/shortest route for lorrys which you can again on the other. I used it for the day today side by side and it couldn't find half the places the rac one could AND it was SLOWER to recalculate!!!
I am sorry to say this to you folks with TTs they ARE nowhere as good. Alright mine doesn't do some of the cleaver stuff like dif voices or the bluetooth phone feature etc but at least the RAC one has an Mp3 function. I AM SO DISAPOINTED! So its going on ebay. I just wanted to warn all you other fellow truckers as the whole world thinks TT is the bees knees.
Now that I have loaded the low bridges and all the speed cams etc onto mine useing the Garmin POIs as advised and I am going to keep that one and stop thinking the grass is greener elsewhere.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't disagree more, I think the Tomtom is just right for my job, I honestly don't mind taking the extra 20 seconds it takes to input an address, (thats if I haven't already pre-planned my route), surely no matter which unit you use you have to have some input or is the RAC model psychic?

I would have thought you would at least need to enter a town and road on the RAC unit just like you do on the Tomtom or am I missing something?

My 710 has shortest/fastest routes etc, and i'm sure the 510 is the same.

If it is only a day old why not take it back to where you brought it and try and get a full refund instead of losing out on E-bay !

To old to die young.
123dixie123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go. Someone who hasn't tried mine saying he couldn't disagree more.NO you don't have to input the 'city/town' then 'street' on the RAC. you just enter a place OR steet OR the postcode and it finds it.
You say "I would have thought you would at least need to enter a town and road on the RAC unit just like you do on the Tomtom or am I missing something?". Thats my point , yes YOU have to input town and road. Try entering just a small place miles from nowhere.It hasn't a clue without the 'city/town' which you may not know. I don't always have a full address and manage very well with my unit.
What happens if you only have an ind est name? Your knackerd , I'm not! Sorry mate you are so wrong. Trust me. I'v tried both.
123dixie123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS
As for 'fastest/shortest' routes on the TT it doesn't have a 'Lorry' fastest/shortest its only a standard setting.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

123dixie123 wrote:
you just enter a place OR steet OR the postcode and it finds it.

.It hasn't a clue without the 'city/town' which you may not know. I don't always have a full address and manage very well with my unit.

Sorry didn't mean to disagree 8O I do apologise.

Ok so if you had to go to :- "High Street, Epping, Essex, EP1 12A," are you seriously telling me you only have to input "High Street" and it will take you to "High Street, Epping, Essex, EP1 12A," or you can enter "Epping" and it will take you to "High Street, Epping, Essex, EP1 12A."

To prove your point perhaps you could input "Cambridge Road" on your RAC unit and tell me where it takes you.!!

I am obviously missing more than I thought, because if "your" system can do that then I want one.

To old to die young.
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity you didn't go to somewhere like Halfrauds just to test drive the 510.

A bit of research and you would have found out how 'poor' the TomTom units are by comparison & saved yourself all the hassle. Hindsight, eh!

I generally use postcode navigation or POI ( providing it's in there ) for my PSV/Coaching on a 710. Never had an problem. If TT couldn't find it, I always carry a detailed map and use that to locate the area & can plot a GPS position to get me close enough if street level/town won't do....

Horses for courses, old dog / new tricks, etc.., etc.., insert further proverbs & analogies here......

I originally went looking for an Indago ( or whatever its called ) as it was heralded as Professional Driver equipment ( PSV/HGV friendly ) but the price back then was so prohibitive I found it easier to adjust my route planning and save myself a bundle of cash then buying a TT 300. Now using TT Go is second nature & so what if it takes 30 seconds longer than some other unit. I rather like my 300 & 710.

Ask yourself:
Do I really need (tomtom) Go-faster stripes on my SatNav?
Is life really that short ????????????????
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Route 66 software has a few unusual methods of entering destination which take some getting used to, for example full post code support is not present (at least not on the version I have), but you can enter a short code combination of postcode and road name etc PR4 Mill will generate a list which contains near the top Mill Lane Warton Nr Preston.

To use your example above I would enter EPP HIG and on the first page of listing is High Street Epping Essex (considerably less typing than "High Street" but 7 characters entered and it does find the correct location most of the time - it does take some getting used to, if the application had full postcode support I it would be a great software package, I still use it from time to time as I like the routing and TMC information - Mike
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: VIP. PLEASE ALL HGV DRIVERS READ THIS. Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
123dixie123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all again. Many thanks for the industrial pois web link. If I keep the TT I will use them. Yes my Route66 does FULL postcode and yes I do agree that it is dif from the TT. Yes I can just put in the road name and most of the time it will bring up all the UK roads with that name. Agreed you then have to scroll down to the one you need etc. Happy days.....
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

123dixie123 wrote:
Yes I can just put in the road name and most of the time it will bring up all the UK roads with that name. Agreed you then have to scroll down to the one you need etc.

That is why I disagreed with you initially, you rubished the TT Go and yet it is exactly the same as the system you was bestowing as far superior !!

There are no systems that I know of that can do what you stated, I.E. "you just enter a place OR steet OR the postcode and it finds it."

Obviously the postcode would do it, but not just putting a street name in.

To old to die young.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as someone who has used the tt and route66 my version doesnt have postcode support

the tt user interface i find easier yes the tt does do indusrial estate well the big ones ie park farm in wellingbourough is in there put in rutherford drive and you get the ind estate name give it some time then see how you go

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
greggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all i have been using sat navs for 6 years, ( all makes and models) and believe me tom tom is by far the best, as a trucker since 1973 it as only let me down once. and i only go to ind estates. when you get your paperwork for the day it should have the address and postcode, if not then i sugest you the traffic office to do theire job prperly so you can do yours. or work for a proffesional co.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greggy wrote:
hi all i have been using sat navs for 6 years, ( all makes and models) and believe me tom tom is by far the best, as a trucker since 1973 it as only let me down once. and i only go to ind estates. when you get your paperwork for the day it should have the address and postcode, if not then i sugest you the traffic office to do theire job prperly so you can do yours. or work for a proffesional co.

100% spot on Thumbs Up

To old to die young.
monacosteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in a 40ft motorhome, i have just done a 3 month tour of europe
and my tt 710 did not let me down at all. I have had 3 sat navs
and this is the best by far
steve
Eurotrucker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 910 Spot On.... Reply with quote

Hello all....
Im a continental trucker and have been using the tomtom 910 since it first release without fault. Never been lost with it yet.
Dont know why people with no tomtom have to slag it off. I have used it in most of europe and it spot on.......
Shame it cant do the driving for me, But I suppose you get what you pay for...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: