Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quest 2 v Rider v Zumo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest 2 v Rider v Zumo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mannlamb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Quest 2 v Rider v Zumo Reply with quote

Hello All, and happy New year.
Can I pick your brains ....

I have a quest (1) which works really well but.... for long trips it doesn't have enough memory. (Couldn't download all the maps I wanted for France and Spain last summer). This spring I'm off to Italy (motoGP yeeehaaaar) and will combine a two week holiday around the Alps. I know that the Quest 1 won't hold all the maps I want. So my question is.....
I have read numerous reports that the quest 2 is very slow to calculate and is a dissapointment - is this right ? (we all go wrong and take a wrong turn from time to time, but i understand it takes the quest 2 an eternity to recalculate ??)
Am I better off with a Zumo ? (or even a rider)

I'd really appreciate any feedback from anybody out there whose used both and can help me make my decision.

Thanks very much

Giles.
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
DON'T BUY A QUEST 2
If you read on here in the quest section you will see lots are people are unhappy with there Quest2 and have even sold or returned it at a loss and bought a Quest 1 again.
I have given it a review in the review section.
I cant comment on the Zumo or the Rider but if you like all the features of the Quest you will probably be dissapointed with the Rider as your gonna lose most of them.
Somewhere on here i think in the quest section somebody spoke to Garmin at the NEC and they said that the Zumo used the same mapping and routing system as the Quest 2 but the chip is quicker so should hopefully resolve the Quest 2 issues.
Whatever happens don't buy from Global Positioning Systems as a few people have had problems with them if they are unhappy with the item they receive.
I'm having to consult with Trading Standards to try and get my money back on my Quest 2!!
Des
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you need to see a review here's one , sorz its not on here
http://www.yournav.com/content/review/250/Garmin_zumo_Riders_Bigger_Brother.html
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much as soon as i get the money from the Quest2 back I'm going to have on of these it looks the dogs.
Since i have the ear piece in my helmet from the Touratech installation on my bike ill have audio so no need for the bluetooth
Des
Lardyboy66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Rider v Zumo Reply with quote

Owned both and there is no comparison - Zumo every time.

I own a TOMTOM 910 for the car anjd I think its fab but the Zumo for the bike is just so much better for the bike no contest
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are indeed happy with your Quest you might consider buying a second. This is what I have done as it gives me a spare GPSR and I can load as much mapping as I will ever need for a tour. You can apply online to Garmin for a free unlock code for your second Quest to share the same mapping

To my mind NOTHING yet compares with the Quests portability and ruggedness (threw it down the road at speed - trashed the bike and the external antenna - Garmin replaced the aerial for free but sadly not the BMW!)
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kritou wrote:
.......If you are indeed happy with your Quest you might consider buying a second.

I did mean a secondhand one!
mannlamb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your replys. (what a cracking tool the net is!)
And what a good idea Kritou, of buying a second, second hand quest. hadn't thought of that at all. Will have a look round at the London Bike show in Feb, but may well search ebay for a second quest 1.
Thanks very much.
Giles.
LuigiSV650
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hI GUYS
stupid question but as the quest isn t for a motorbike in particular how do you hear the instructions ?
Kritou
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stick the Quest in a £15 RAM cradle and to that attach a £15 RAM-ACQ which allows you to conect to your helmet
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuigiSV650 wrote:
hI GUYS
stupid question but as the quest isn t for a motorbike in particular how do you hear the instructions ?

I don't bother with sound, I just look at the pictures. Laughing

Welcome by the way!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: