Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP 4700 overheating
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP 4700 overheating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mobile
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: HP 4700 overheating Reply with quote

I have a problem with my HP 4700 overheating when using TT 5.1 and I have to wait for it to cool down before using it for any length of time. Is this normal or have I got a faulty unit? I would appreciate any feed back from the membership regarding this matter.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is "normal" - TTN5 utilises the iPAQs processor to the maximum which drains the battery fast and produces a lot of heat. Use a program that is written more economical, like i-Go.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mobile
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: HP 4700 overheating Reply with quote

many thanks for your prompt reply and advice. I was going to upgrade to tt6 but the overheating problem is too much to bear. What is i- go?. Thanking you in anticipation
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other consideration is a utility normaly used to overclock the processor speed, something like XCPUScaler, but rather than speed the processor up, use it to throttle it down to around 350Mhz this will reduce the heat build up significantly, it also reduces the battery drain.
You might have to play around to work out the best speed to use as this will be a trade off heat vs performance, but I have found it quite useful to conserve battery power on certain devices - Mike
mobile
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: 4700 overheatin Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I will try the underclocking idea and see what happens. Thanks again for your good advice. Ken W

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: