Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT One V's I3 & A Few Questions..........
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT One V's I3 & A Few Questions..........
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marbar2k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: TT One V's I3 & A Few Questions.......... Reply with quote

Hi,

I currently have a Garmin i3 and I have got a bit bored and want a new toy. I am looking at a TT One from argos ( I know thats not the best price but i have some spare nectar points to spend)

How do the 2 units compare to each other? I quite like the idea of touch screen rather than the wheels system.

Is there any difference between the UK & europe bar the maps as they are the same price?

Can you add custom voices and the speed cam database ok?

I have search the forum but i got confused with some of the answers

Many Thanks!!
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TT One V's I3 & A Few Questions.......... Reply with quote

marbar2k wrote:
Hi,

I currently have a Garmin i3 and I have got a bit bored and want a new toy. I am looking at a TT One from argos ( I know thats not the best price but i have some spare nectar points to spend)

How do the 2 units compare to each other? I quite like the idea of touch screen rather than the wheels system.

Is there any difference between the UK & europe bar the maps as they are the same price?

Can you add custom voices and the speed cam database ok?

I have search the forum but i got confused with some of the answers

Many Thanks!!

Can't help on the comparison.
The One V2 either comes badged as a 2Regional (GB)" with Teleatlas mapping or "Europe" with the navteq mapping. otherwise (like the 510/710) are identical.
Yes you can do all the extra add-ons/speed cams/voices etc.

See here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=50045
Ramases
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TT One V's I3 & A Few Questions.......... Reply with quote

Hi marbar2k

I have an i3 and a TT One V2 (my wife wanted a satnav and I wanted a new toy too, so I got a new one and passed the i3 to her Smile

I love both units. The i3 is simple to use and to add POIs etc. It has basic Europe maps and is completely stable in use. The windscreen mount is excellent if you don't want to move it from car to car (when it can be a pain to get a good "grip") but once in place it is easy to get it into the right position. Routing is generally excellent and any map quirks I have found are also present on the TT as well. The TT is much more customizable and if you like tinkering with your gadgets then this will give you a lot more play with. Routing seems comparable with the i3. The mount is easier to get a "grip" with but it is quite stiff and I find it a bit awkward to get the TT one and off - though the upsaide of this is that there is absolutely no vibration of the TT at all.
marbar2k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies, i was going to sell the i3 first then get the TT1, but i have just reserved a TT1 Europe in argos for £199, and i am going to pick it up tonight!

How much do you think i will get for my i3, brand new in box, new registered and its the bigger memory version?
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone from an i3 to tomtom one v2 europe Laughing .

Its not quite all good news, here's what I consider that the i3 does better (I'm still learning what my TT is capable of, so if any experienced TT one v2 users can correct me-please do).

TT doesnt grab the realtime clock from the satellite.

TT doesnt auto switch into night colours.

TT only alerts you to the upcoming poi camera locations, (as opposed to the i3 which also continued to bong until you were below the given speed limit).

TT needs many more camera poi catagories to be able to show the correct speed at a specific locations (24 catagories-versus 5 on the i3).

on the whole, the TT is much more configureable if you want that, and the benefits outweigh the small negatives many times over.

just an additional thing, I initally bought a uk/ireland version which I played with for 24 hours, I then decided to take it back to Halfords and pay the difference for a european version, I found immediately that the touch screen was quite a bit slower in responding than the UK version that I first had-so much so that I took it back to Halfords and asked them to open up another brand-new one which they did, and it was exactly the same, I'm guessing that the europe maps is a greater overhead for the processor, although the virtal TT when using tomtom home software is instantanious which negates my argument somewhat.

HTH

Scoobs

I'd be lost without it !!
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoobs, i've noy tried the 'uk only' version but my 'europe' version has no screen lag at all, in fact its pretty instantaneous (biggest word i've used all week :D )...
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
(biggest word i've used all week :D )...

All year! Wink

The only delay on the V2 Euro will be finding an address cos it's got a bigger database to scroll through.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:

All year! Wink

which is only 5 days ..... Wink

even when you calculate a route from the uk to paris for instance , its damn quick...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoobydooby wrote:

TT doesnt grab the realtime clock from the satellite.

It does the minutes if you poke the "sync" button...

Quote:
TT doesnt auto switch into night colours.

The One doesn't, but the big ones do.

Quote:
TT only alerts you to the upcoming poi camera locations, (as opposed to the i3 which also continued to bong until you were below the given speed limit).

True

Quote:
TT needs many more camera poi catagories to be able to show the correct speed at a specific locations (24 catagories-versus 5 on the i3).

Does the i3 do this by just lumping all of the camera types at a certain speed together into one file?
If so, you can do exactly the same thing on the TomTom. It's down to how people format the databases not the hardware. I used to merge all the speed files together with POI Edit when there was a version of software that dropped the POIs down to 24 categories!
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It is surprising just how many members (me included) seem to have exchanged their Garmin I3's for the new TomTom One. It's good to see a few familiar names now appearing in this forum also... hi Zogman (to name but one!)

I looked at the Nuvi's at the last UK Motor Show, but wasn't really won over, and am glad now that I waited for the TomTom's new baby. I think it's amazing just how much the technology has improved in the last couple of years.

Like others, I am a bit surprised that it doesn't automatically switch into night-time colours though, but I much prefer the touch screen. Mine has actually come 'unstuck' a couple of times, so I will probably have to either use a bit more 'spit', or else give the windscreen a good clean first!

I went for the UK version, as it was quite a bit cheaper in the post Christmas sales, and I rarely (if ever) drive in Europe anyway. As I am the impatient type I picked mine up in PC World, and took advantage of their half price offer for the official carry case and strap.

Am going on a 600 mile round trip over the weekend, so that will be a good test as how it performs. First impressions are very favourable indeed though... definitely a 'keeper'!

David
rory1968
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: tomtom v i3 Reply with quote

My wife had my old i3.I got a 710.she started to complain about wheel,liked touch screen.I sold i3 on ebay for£118 and it was 14 months old!. I would definately recommend the TT one europe over uk/ireland only.European tomtom has navteq maps which are far better than teleatlas.more POi's and new roads which are not on the latest Teleatlas maps.I dowloaded navteq maps onto my 710,so,I'm happy and my wifes happy.Hope this helps,Mike
marbar2k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i picked it up tonight and so far i am very impressed with it (although it did crash before and would not turn on)

is there any POI collections like the ones MaFt did for the i3?
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Another ex-i3 to TT One v2 (EUR) convert here...

For all you missing the Garmin's auto-colour switching at dusk/dawn, suggest you groove on over to: http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/suntime.php?lang=uk

...where you will obtain gratification! 8)

Aitch
Pootle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:o Think I'm going to make the leap to Tom Tom as well..... Someone I work with has a one v2 europe which I have loaded cams onto etc. for them but as yet I have never taken it out. Think I'm gonna be blagging it for a trip this week to see how we get on.....
(A)nd
(P)roud
-----------------------------------
i3, V8, V2.7, WAAS EGNOS.
Audio V2, Simpsons Voice File
-----------------------------------
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pootle wrote:
:o Think I'm going to make the leap to Tom Tom as well..... Someone I work with has a one v2 europe which I have loaded cams onto etc. for them but as yet I have never taken it out. Think I'm gonna be blagging it for a trip this week to see how we get on.....

do it, you know you want to.... :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: