Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS, FM transmitters & PDA sound output
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS, FM transmitters & PDA sound output

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: RDS, FM transmitters & PDA sound output Reply with quote

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum.

I've just got an Ipaq5450 to use withGPS in the car. Looking at options to output the sound at a reasonable level, I've noticed fm modulators and transmitters to relay the sound throughthe car speakers. I was wondering if there are any experts out there who could tell me if it is possible to have some form of sound activated RDS type transmission (57KHz I think) to break into the normal radio/CD use only when an instruction is made by the GPS navigation program (TT in my case) It would be handy wouldn't it!

Merry Christmas

Malcolm
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're testing a Qubit PDA Sound Amplifier which does just this although it is hard-wired in and does not use an FM Tx. In a similar way to a Cellphone Carkit which mutes the car audio when a call is received, the Qubit will mute the in-car audio and transmit the PDA audio either over the car speakers or a seperate audio speaker.

Initial impressions are excellent, watch out for a full review early in the New Year.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good (Pun?)

When you say hard wired, I've already got a muting car kit (Nokia cark) installed into an OEM (Renault Espace) wiring loom. Will I still be able to use the Qubit? I know you said wait for the review, bit if the answer is no I need to look elsewhere. At the moment I have a pair ofbattery operated PC speakers lying on the dashboard, not ideal!

Regards

Malcolm
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not, the mute function works in the same way and unless the two fight over muting I don't forsee any problems. I'm testing it in my Jaguar which also has a Nokia Carkit with Mute and so far they both work without any problems. The Qubit has a high/low volume setting and for me 'low' is sufficiently loud even at motorway speeds.

I'm waiting on a cost price for this unit but it's high quality, comes complete with an external speaker and if you'd rather not hardwire it can be plugged straight into an accessory 12v supply and will be working in 1 minute Smile

Read the .pdf data sheet here.
TMC-Guru
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Mut function Reply with quote

Most modern car radio's do have a mute connection on them Just check the schematics of your car radio. Unfortantly it is not standarized so you need to talk a guy at carkit service point who might have the info you need
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
We're testing a Qubit PDA Sound Amplifier ...

Initial impressions are excellent, watch out for a full review early in the New Year.

Which New Year? Smile

Did you do a review?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly did back in the New Year! Now if you had been paying attention you'd have known that ;)

See http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/qubit-sound.php which can also be found via GPS Accessories | Other Accessories .

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: