Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mounting Solutions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mounting Solutions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vmp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Mounting Solutions Reply with quote

Hi Folks

I'm no stranger to GPS systems nor their mounts, I've tried a few Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I've currently got a PDA of which will be used for my GPS requirements. It probably won't be a totally SatNav option as I don't really find they help much. I'm still more of a map person for that ;)

However. For the PDA I'm looking for a way to mount it.

The complicated part means that the mount would have to be portable. There are a variety of vehicles I use at work (about 12 different ones I could be sent in, from 3.5t Nissan Cabstars, to Iveco/Man 7.5t's). My own car is a Peugeot 205.

Affixing this mount to the dashboard isn't going to work for those that have suitable dashboards aren't exactly suitable (even tank/gaffer tape doesn't stick!).

I have previously had windscreen suction mounts that have used one suction cup and a gooseneck arm. These are good for a time. They usually last 6 months - a year simply as for each different vehicle I use a different configuration. I've not tried vent mounts either, nor do I know what are suitable Sad

One thing I have seen a while ago was where the system used 2 suction pads, but I've not found that again or seen any reports of its usage.

The PDA is a phone as well so most the time it'll be coming with me when not in the vehicle ;)

I've bought a GPS Bluetooth unit which is easy enough to use and place, so the PDA doesn't need to be within view of the windscreen anymore, which is good. I think...
Vmp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Just found all the subsections at the bottom of the screen Embarassed Embarassed 8O 8)
Vmp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right.

I had a Mio168 and used the stock windscreen mount with that. It was a had a suction clamp for the windscreen. This however failed after 6 months. The plastic wore away inside the clip from being used about 3 times a day (on, off etc). When I am out at work I remove the mount from the windscreen when I'm not driving as it's an encouragement for people to break in and nick things...

I've had a RAM suction mount. This lasted about 6 months as well. It's a twist lock bracket which is all very nice but being plastic that also wore down. If it had been metal then it would have been different.

If you open the suction clamp up there is a metal bar that goes across the centre of the device. When you twist the grips it slides around and pushes it into place. That wore down Sad

I've still got 3 old RAM suction mounts here. They, er, work great as lamp stands at home :D I think they'll finally go in the next clearout :D :D

Having looked on the RAM website I think that is the only type of suction clamp they use... Feel free to enlighten me ;)

See the twist suction lock to the windscreen? That's it.

Do you want to see dismantled photos??
Vmp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the info in : http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/hrmounts.php reference to "No more innovation?" But I don't know where I can buy that. I'm googling for it but there doesn't seem to be anything out there Sad

I am reluctant to buy RAM mounts after my experiences with them. Many people probably have no problems with them, but I do. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Vmp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8) 8) Right, I've now found that Gps4Less will do what I want :D

www.gpsforless.co.uk

And they're local as well to me ;) Wolverhampton is only an hour away, so I will probably visit them to buy it, if I'm buying it :D

Alas no other replies here, but at least it's hear for someone else to read up on :D
Vmp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh well, doing well here 8)

Finally got me 2gb MicroSD card, loaded all my mapping software up, my GPS came from Addonsworld.co.uk (eventually) and all is good.

But GPS4Less haven't bothered to get back to me. Still might look into other mounting solutions...

But it still would have been nice for a professional company to actually respond to emails.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: