Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Endless trouble downloading and installing cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Endless trouble downloading and installing cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LizCarnell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Endless trouble downloading and installing cameras Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm having endless trouble downloading and installing cameras for the TomTom Go 500. I've registered and subscribed but I'm finding the whole process upsetting and annoying.

I seem to be in some sort of loop where I cannot find the actual link to use to download the cameras. All I can find are endless pages of advice which don't actually provide the link. Perhaps there's something wrong with my subscription, I just can't seem to work out what's going on.

Can someone who has solved this problem PLEASE post a foolproof guide. Last time I tried to do it I couldn't work out how to actually add the cameras to my TomTom Go.

Not everyone who uses a TomTom Go has any technical ability on a computer so there is a clear need for very basic instructions that work. My email address is Edit once mikealder to remove e-mail address if someone would be kind enough to help.
Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz, Please have a read of THIS which shows you what to do, it was written for a different unit to the one you have, but if you ignore the Text To Speech bit everything else is relevant, by the way it is not a good idea to place an e-mail address in the forum it can attract spam, so I will remove it for you - Mike
LizCarnell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your help but I am still having problems. I've managed to get a list of cameras although it isn't laid out in the way it is on page 4 of your instructions but now I don't know how to get the Extract page up. Despite disconnecting and reconnecting the TomTom repeatedly it's not asking me to connect to the PC.
Thanks
Liz
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liz if you have an sd card reader try using that instead having the go connected to the computer

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
LizCarnell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alix but afraid I don't understand what I have to do with the card reader.

I didn't have anything like this trouble when I had my old pda and can't understand why I can't get it to work.

I'm going to ask my son to try to do it tomorrow.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the process is the sadem for the go as it was for the pda put the sd card in he card reader then open a window to file veiw then copy the .ov2 files and .bmp files to the map folder on the sd card

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
LizCarnell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't have a card reader.

I now seem to have got the files into Home, they are on the left of the two screens but I'm getting the message when I try to install each that it cannot install the item. It says there is a file included which should not be there. Safety_Cam_UK_30_Tomtom(2).c

Could this be because I have already installed them without realising it as they don't show up in the right hand panel at all. I do have other POIs which I think I installed but they don't appear in the list of POIs on the device so they don't seem to be switched on although they are on the right hand screen.

Sorry about this, I've spent literally hours trying to do it over the last two months and I'm really fed up with it because no matter how hard I try I'm not able to do it.
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Liz, don't lose heart. Sometimes you can look a problem smack in the face and still not see the solution, no matter how obvious.

What OS do you have on your PC?
When you open home. can you EXPLORE? ( click option on left screen menu )
Do you get a list on the right under My Go 500?
Do you have any POI's listed there?
Any pocketgps_uk_ names in there?

Also, without a card reader you should be able to plug USB lead from PC to 500 and use Windows Explorer or My Computer to explore the SD card. Can you do this? Can you see your map directory this way? ( GB_Plus, GB, Western_Europe, whatever ).

If you can, open the directory. Any pocketgps named files in there?

Don't fixate on the CONNECT question for now. Let's try to get the SD open and read/writeable.
LizCarnell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much to everyone who posted to help on this. My son has just read the thread and sorted it out within five minutes so he's also added other POIs as well as the cameras.
Liz
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LizCarnell wrote:
Thanks very much to everyone who posted to help on this. My son has just read the thread and sorted it out within five minutes so he's also added other POIs as well as the cameras.
Liz

So now lock him in a quiet room and don't let him out until he's written you exactly what he did, so you can do it yourself next time. Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: