Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom and there mapping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom and there mapping
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: tomtom and there mapping Reply with quote

What is it with tomtom and the tele atlas mapping, where i live there are numerouse "no right turns" and tomtom still tries to direct me into these turnings, some people on here mite think i'm bitching about these maps but i dont think i am, having paid nearly £500.00 for the unit and its out of date mapping..... some of these "no right turns" have existed before the first tom tom even went on sale and emails to the mapping companies seem to fall on deaf ears because these turnings are still on the latest mapping including roads that have been built 4 years ago and still dont exist on the tele atlas maps as far as i am concerned tomtom is an exellent product which is let down by this out of date mapping....i think that 2 years out of date mite be acceptable but not 4, is it fair that we should be paying out hard eared cash for the new mapping when some of the mapping remains this much out of date. Before anyone askes i'm running the latest v6.52.

TomTom 940 Live
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that this is off your chest - what was your question?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Now that this is off your chest - what was your question?
Well my question is Mr Lutz-is as i have already stated, i would have expected a more sensible reply but it looks like you dont understand what i mean so i will make my question a little larger"why are these maps so out of date" as i have already stated......is that better!!!!

TomTom 940 Live
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. The maps are so out of date because the mapping company (in your case TeleAtlas) needs to physically drive these roads with their surveying vehicle. Then the data needs to be post processed in India, then compiled into the master database, then sold to vendors like TomTom, then recompiled by TomTom, and then pressed on CDs and SDs and sold to users.

That process takes a while, and depending on where you live, can take forever unless you report map errors to TeleAtlas, Whcih you can do using the link in my signature.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Indeed. The maps are so out of date because the mapping company (in your case TeleAtlas) needs to physically drive these roads with their surveying vehicle. Then the data needs to be post processed in India, then compiled into the master database, then sold to vendors like TomTom, then recompiled by TomTom, and then pressed on CDs and SDs and sold to users.

That process takes a while, and depending on where you live, can take forever unless you report map errors to TeleAtlas, Which you can do using the link in my signature.
These map errors have already been reported to no avail and as i said some have existed even before the first model came out so there drivers arn't doing a very good job are they there are numerous no right turns and no left turns in my area alone and were i go to on a regular basis which is the east coast, but perhaps there drivers tend to ignore these.... here's one example, The Ricoh Arena in Coventry which is one of the biggest attractions in Coventry built 4years ago ...is it on there maps ..no it isnt i visit there regularly so i know where it is so i am 1 of the fortunate ones but there is a lot of people who need there sat nav to find it and it dont even exist....just to mention 1 of a few..

TomTom 940 Live
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferret save your breathe, all you will get here is the extended defense mechanism from various "mods", as you have already seen.
I agree, even allowing for the convoluted process of getting these maps to market it really isn't good enough. With todays technology i am sure if the military needed to pinpoint a road in the iraqi desert because of rumours of untold amounts of oil reserve they would have it available Laughing, but not for us it seems.
The problem in my opinion is like you hinted on, the fact that the people out there doing the collecting of info are just not doing it, whether it be laziness or what. Two years is acceptable four simply is not.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you blokes really want eggs with your bacon dont you....image how many roads/streets there are in the uk, a large amount, so it takes the map makers a while to 'get it right' and when they do the local council will change the road setup......anyway only a fool would completely rely on a sat nav's directions and if you're not happy with your particular sat nav ,sell it and get another one, simple solution me thinks..as for having a go at the mod, just look at how many posts he done and think of how many people he's helped in the past...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I am not even offended at being called a "mod" ...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry lutz, but with all those posts and GO GO GADGET bloke referring to you as a mod , i assumed you were one...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to the "mods" (in quotes).

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO-GO-910 wrote:
With todays technology i am sure if the military needed to pinpoint a road in the iraqi desert because of rumours of untold amounts of oil reserve they would have it available Laughing, but not for us it seems.

That's a ridiculous analogy! Can you imagine how much the maps would cost if the same amount was invested in the mapping for public devices as for the military!! Rolling Eyes

Just because you're using a sat nav doesn't mean you don't have to be alert for road signage and follow it, just as you would if you were using a paper map. Why is it so many people seem to think they can disengage their brain when they switch on their sat nav?
Samsung Galaxy S21
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
[ Why is it so many people seem to think they can disengage their brain when they switch on their sat nav?

as always i tend to agree with 'no one sweeta than anita'...when we travel, we use a sat nav, a map , we use common sense and look at the road signs...we always get to our destination..

anita what you doing here anyway...go back to the i3 forum women.. Laughing
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
And I am not even offended at being called a "mod" ...

I should think not!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
anita what you doing here anyway...go back to the i3 forum women.. Laughing

I have to keep an eye on what you're up to, zoggy! I miss you and your sweet talk in the i3 forum.

I suppose I should be grateful you only told me to get back to the i3 forum, unlike this member back in July:

wherethehellarewe wrote:
Anita,

Are you out of the kitchen again ? :D

Samsung Galaxy S21
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
sorry lutz, but with all those posts and GO GO GADGET bloke referring to you as a mod , i assumed you were one...

Go GO Gadget i would laugh but to encourage to name call is fuelling the lowest form of wit. Perhaps, there lies something.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: