Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Will never buy a TomTom again ! BBC Watchdog anyone ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Will never buy a TomTom again ! BBC Watchdog anyone ???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tadger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Will never buy a TomTom again ! BBC Watchdog anyone ??? Reply with quote

Basically I've now been without my TomTom One for almost 2 months now.... and to cut a long story short my experience with TomTom customer service has been the worst ever !!

So while I sit here, still without my device, and with no guarentee of when I will receive it I'm thinking I should get on to BBC watchdog so as to highlight to other potential customers about how bad the customer service can be...

So anyone else want to join the crusade ?? Let me know and if there's enough of you send me the details and I'll put something together....
chriiiiiiiis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experiences with TomTom customer support have always been great. Must be just you.
gotom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am personally very happy with my Tom Tom Go having previously upgraded twice and therefore consider myself a loyal customer.

However, I do think that the whole debacle with launching the RDS-TMC receiver that doesn't work for the majority of purchasers is something that consumers should be complaining about.

I've sent an email to the BBC Watchdog show already and if others do too then maybe we might see some action from Tom Tom. After all the product has been officially available in the UK for a month now with no signs from Tom Tom via their website that there is a problem with it or that they are offering any support for customers who have purchased one.
Solobay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three months without unit - not happy
Levels of service marked out of ten - zero as in no service at all
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try emailing them again? Also if they dont reply by email why not just phone TomTom Support?. Many company's never respond by email and TomTom support must recieve millions of them every day. I'm sure they just miss the odd one.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consumer programs will only get involved if there have been widespread major problems and it is deemed interesting enough.

I suspect although there have been reported issues with mounts, TMC receivers, etc Tom Tom has appeared to be making an effort to resolve them, and in the case of the droopy mounts has done so effectively.

Despite unhappy people on here I would imagine that with the quantity of units sold they may be in a v.small minority. It's probably true that most people who have a GPS don't bother to read or contribute to message boards, they might not even know they exist. Also it's a fact that those who are unhappy shout about it, those that aren't don't. Look at the percentage of complaining posts compared to all others on just this forum alone. They form a very small part.

So, while any problem is important to the person experiencing it, problems with Tom Tom units aren't probably out of the ordinary. They are just magnified on a forum like this.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:

Oh! for the day when we'll be able to edit our posts !!

Probably around the day TomTom release the street-level maps for Mars! Laughing
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your breath everybody, i know a member of the watchdog team, at the time they were investigating a scam called the money tree. A nice guy but believe me the whole team are just flat chat when it comes to stories, so unless this is a case of the customer getting fleeced then i don't think they will even look at it. BUT, i could be wrong, i could tell you the guy to contact but he would rip my head off. Laughing
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so we have two guys with genuine complaints and three leaping to the defense of tomtom.. not bad out of a total of about five posts..

i dont see any valid reason for people being without a unit for two or three months.. its shouldnt happen period..

we can assume that something like 95% of the units dont go wrong.. most people dont need the service.. its what happens to the unlucky but inevitable small percentage of units that do go wrong and need the service that matters..

the fact the majority are happy really has nothing to do with it.. they are bound to be..

trog
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lack of edit..

when i read "we can take five weeks to deliver" on tomtoms website.. that tells me something about them..

it seems they can also take three months to fix your busted unit..

trog
davideo0
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trog100 wrote:
lack of edit..

when i read "we can take five weeks to deliver" on tomtoms website.. that tells me something about them..

it seems they can also take three months to fix your busted unit..

trog

I sympathise with Trog.
But I speak as I've found. On the one occasion I had to return my device to Netherlands, and the one occasion I returned my remote control for replacement, UPS picked up the package on the same day, delivered in 2 days, Tom Tom had it back to me inside the promised 10 days. Tracking of the parcel enabled me to see where it was for most of the time, right up to the 'out for dispatch' notice.

I never use email to contact them on these occasions but telepnone their customer service. They have always been helpful.
Am I the only one who has had good service? I doubt it.
If I ever have to wait the length of time you have, I would be livid too but as far as I am concerned - well done TomTom!

Since buying my TT700 there must have been four or more software updates to keep me from feeling that my device is becoming obsolete.
How many manufacturers show any interest in last years models and are prepared, for free, to give them a new lease of life.
The latest, OK very delayed, map updates supplied at reasonable price recently also keep my device feeling new.

No, TomTom are by no means perfect but on the whole, I believe the customer gets a very good deal.
TTG 700, Firmware ver 6.520 (7690/061002),GPS v1.21, Boot 4.86, OS:1387,Map: Western Europe v660 , Tripmaster 1.6d, Offroad Navigator v1.5a, External antenna, External microphone, Motorola V3, Orange PAYG
davideo0
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn this lack of EDIT facilities.
My sympathies should of course have been with 'Tadger' not Trog.
TTG 700, Firmware ver 6.520 (7690/061002),GPS v1.21, Boot 4.86, OS:1387,Map: Western Europe v660 , Tripmaster 1.6d, Offroad Navigator v1.5a, External antenna, External microphone, Motorola V3, Orange PAYG
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trog100 wrote:

the fact the majority are happy really has nothing to do with it..

The title of this thread is 'Will never buy a TomTom again ! BBC Watchdog anyone ???' and the original point was about how bad TomToms service supposedly was along with a request to 'join the crusade'

It is precisely because of the fact that the majority are happy which makes it very,very unlikely any consumer program is going to show an interest.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i know.. but these things "electronic gadgets" are sold with known failure or return rates..

lets just pull a figure out of the air.. lets say 2% are expected to fail.. lets say for definite 2% of buyers are gonna be unlucky..

making decent provisions for the 2% "lemons" should be an expected part of the selling procedure.. they know there are gonna be X% lemons.. its cheaper to sell this way than check every unit..

now here come my main point.. if the 98% who dont get a lemon are the only ones that matter it enbables and encourages the seller to get a way with not making adequiate provison for the 2% of unlucky punters..

the 98" happy punters really dont count.. its the way the deliberately created 2% are treated that matters..

things like "we can take five weeks to deliver" really does show an arrogance and lack of customer respect that is over the top.. so does taking three months to fix a busted unit.. he he

in fact if the job isnt done within a month.. as a mark of respect tomtom should send out a new unit by way of compensation to the customer.. as for three months.. well i just cant quite imagine how.. except they dont give a wots-it

trog
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lack of edit..

i am one of the 98% by the way.. my unit works.. but i know sometimes i wont be soo lucky.. in fact sometimes i havnt been..

its getting all too comon with big e-tailers and the likes.. super fully automated sytems to sell u things but god help u if/when it goes wrong.. there are no "human" beings around to deal with your problem..

we really should care about the minority of unlucky buyers.. not echoe the fan-boy tomtom is wonderfull mantra..

for some.. tomtom really aint so wonderfull..

trog

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: