Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I have a Navigon TS 6000T Europe with Navigator 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I have a Navigon TS 6000T Europe with Navigator 6
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrislang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: I have a Navigon TS 6000T Europe with Navigator 6 Reply with quote

I bought a Navigon TS 6000T Europe with Navigator 6 package direct from Navigon on Nov 13th (Should have looked at the date! ) It didn't work properly from the initial set up and via various conversations and e-mails with their tech. support I returned the Memory Card for replacement on 21st Nov.
The replacement arrived last week but now nothing worked other than the Unit screen bringing up the Navigon Logo. After further e-mails to tech.support I have today returned the whole unit & Card to Germany for replacement!!

I chose the unit mainly on it's spec with built in TMC and on the map coverage which included Croatia where we intend to tour next year.

So I cannot comment on how good the software is, but obviously their quality control & testing proceedures need some improvement

Chris
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Chris. Do you think the problems you experieced were due to the hardware or the Navigon software? (They suggested replacing the memory card but was that actually where the fault lay?) Either way it may explain why there seems to be no sign of the 7000T version appearing, let alone pre-release reviews of it!
--

Cheers

Dave
chrislang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

I'm inclined to think that the Navigon Unit, the Hardware was partially at fault as the set up did not work at all with the replacement card. ( However I guess that it could have been a faulty replacement ! ) If you are interested I set out below a brief history of my experience so far:-

On my first short test journey the system worked partially with voice warnings but not Showing speed cameras or Speed limits although they had been selected in the 'Settings' menu .
Next trial was a 30 mile trip when the message 'Recalculating the Route' was shown for the whole journey, still without speed cameras or speed limit info but this time without voice information also! ( although the voice was there when pressing the louder/softer buttons on the Transonic )
After trying several soft resets I tried another trip yesterday evening when the same thing happened as soon as I started the Navigation it went onto the -'Recalculating the Route' message which again was shown for the whole journey , still without speed cameras, speed limit info and also without voice information ! ( although the voice was still there when pressing the louder/softer buttons

Also the only way I could find to adjust the brightness of the display was to go into settings and reduce the 'Daytime brightness' setting! surely not the correct procedure for this. Twice at various points an error message ' The Memory Card has been removed. The programme will terminate automatically' has been displayed although the card had not been removed and was still firmly in place , nor did the programme terminate!
I then did a hard reset and returned the unit to 'Factory Settings' but when I tried a short local navigation the unit initially displayed the 'Recalculating the Route' message which again was shown for a while, still without speed cameras, speed limit info and also without voice information ! ( although the voice was still there when pressing the louder/softer buttons. )
But then switched to the Navigon Logo as in the initial start up but not animated! and stayed there until I stopped and did a soft reset when it resumed the navigation with the continuous 'Recalculating the route' message
I then returned the Memory Card at the request of Navigon Tech Services and was sent a replacement one but when I attempted to Install the new card very little happens. First I made sure that the Transonic unit was fully charged then inserted the new card, the 'Navigon' Screen comes up, plays a chord, a removing old programmes message appears, then the 'Navigon' screen again, another chord, then nothing it just stays on the 'Navigon' screen I have done a Hard Reset but with the same result, even leaving the screen for 20 mins. but it just stays the same.
Now returned both Navigon unit and Memory card for replacement

Things are of course more hassle as I have to return faulty items to Germany as I bought the package on the Web as it was not yet available in UK. Crying or Very sad
Regards
Chris
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what a tale of woe! Yes, difficult to know where the fault lies! Hope you have better luck with the replacement.

On the subject of the 7000T model, I notice Amazon UK are now saying "In Stock" but they've bumped the price up from £340 to £390!!

So, given Chris' disastrous start, who's giong to be brave enough to try one???

--

Cheers,

Dave
PsiFox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that it's being sold through another company(like ebay shops).

If you click on the 5 for sale new and used Amazon shows a lower price but not in stock yet
chrislang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Follow up Reply with quote

My original Transonic TS 6000T + Navigator 6 package was returned to me just prior to us starting our Christmas travels
The navigator bit seems to be working fine now but in a 550 mile trip the display of speed limits only happened on motorways ( 70mph) no indication of other limits on other roads and it only notified me of 2 speed cameras and those were on adjacent roads whilst we were on the motorway ( I still have a snooper detector in the car which picked up more than 30 cameras on the same trip! )
More importantly the TMC did not work at all !! It was set on automatic but I also tried to tune it manually but no signal was shown on any wavelength.
I asked Navigon support to confirm that the Speed limit and Camera notification problems are caused by this version of my map software ( Navigator 6 ) and suggest a solution to get the TMC working ! ( I also checked the TMC aerial supplied with the unit. It appears to connect to the segment of the 4 contact 3.5m jack plug which is furthest from the tip - is this correct? )

Also in the letter that I sent to accompany the unit when it was returned to Navigon I asked that as the whole Navigon & Software package has been faulty from the start that they should refund my cost of carriage and I enclosed my two post office receipts so that this could be done.
I said that I was dissapointed that there was no reply from you, nor were the reciepts returned, the Service centre just returned my unit with a Delivery note! Perhaps they could also please follow this up

I got this reply :-

Dear Mr. Lang,

Thank you for your email.

Memory error:

The memory error is not a know problem, most likely the operating system on your PNA was corrupt and by switching it off you have resolved this problem and this should not occur again.

TMC problem:

Unfortunaly can the TMC problem not be solved that easy due the following reason:

TMC in the UK is not for free use and is encrypted, to use this TMC the software needs a program to decrypt this signal wich is not available yet.

This program will be available at the start from next year, how much this is going to cost we do not know at the moment.

Speedlimits:

Not showing the speedlimits can be caused by two possibilities:

1 The settings aren't correct (you can check this in the basic setting go to page 3 and check the show speedlimit setting this must be on Yes and not on no or only if exceeding).

2 This limits aren't available in the map material (this is not available in every street if it is available the limits will be visible).

Camera notifications:

In our MN 6 software are some known camera positions available, however not all "possible" locations are available in the map material.

There are firms who have developed software special for camera positions and ather POI's wich can be used in combination with navigation software.

More information about this you find in the internet forums.

Shipping costs:

The receipts are given to the auccount department who takes care of that, this takes some time we ask you to have some patience.

With kind regards

E. Verpoort

Navigon Support Team

I was particularly fed up about the non availability of TMC in the UK as prior to buying the unit I had checked with Navigon to see if it actually was available so I wrote back as follows:

Thank you for answering my questions very comprehensively, I did also have a reply from one of your colleages M A Metlach who suggested that if the 'Memory Low' warning re-occurs I should download the upgrade from http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/service_support/download_center/category/9/device_type/pna/software/none/358
However since the message has not re-appeared I shall leave well alone at present as you suggest.

I am much more preturbed however by the non availability of the TMC function in the UK as prior to purchasing my Navigon unit, on 5/11/2006 I e-mailed support.uk@navigon.com to ask several questions about the unit, number 3 of which was 'Is TMC reception available in the UK ( We notice it does not appear in your list of Free TMC reception countries ) ' to which your reply on 6/11/2006 stated ' We made sure that tTMC with MN/6 works in the UK' This reassurance was a big part of my deciding to buy your PNA rather than any of the many other units that were available to me! Please could you check this out again as obviously someone is wrong here and if your findings are the correct ones I feel very let down and would think that some sort of compensation is due !

Regarding the Speedlimits - The settings are correct and I can only accept that they are not included on the UK map material which seems pretty poor as it only appears to indicate on motorways - the UK town and city 20 mph & 30mph limits
predate the motorway system by many years so it seems very odd that this wasn't included.

Regarding Camera notification - I note the same problem but was interested in your comments about other firms supplying software for POI's which can be used in conjunction with the cuurent software. Could you please guide me to a scource for this please and is there additional space on the current memory card for this software to be accomodated.
Thanks also for the information regarding my shipping costs, I look forward to hearing from your accounts dept in due course.

Once again thank you for your full reply It's very difficult sitting here in the UK where there is no local contact or supplier to find out whats going on, and I was getting very dissapointed with Navigon, however your reply has restored some of my faith and will do a lot more if the TMC matter can be resolved quickly.

Thank you again for your help, and I wish you a Happy and Healthy 2007.
Chris Lang

Since then I have heard nothing !!

The Navigator unit is working OK from A to B but the Speed Limit and Speed Camera info leave a lot to be desired.

If any of you know more about the TMC Situation or upgrading maps with software that other firms have developed specially for camera positions and other POI's which can be used in combination with navigation software' I should be glad to hear where this is obtainable.

With the usual hindsite I do wish I had bought something that was available in the UK or at least had a Uk service Centre; the worst bit is not being able to get information quickly and having to return the unit or memory card to Germany for attention.

Sorry about the long diatribe but it might help some of the rest of you make your minds up about Navigon!
Regards
Chris
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, Chris. Pretty shoddy all round. What exactly is the point of alerting speed limits on motorways when there is a standard 70mph limit on them, anyway?

I hope your TMC problems are simply due to the need to patch into your car's radio antenna - the naff bit of wire supplied by Navigon is virtually useless to pick up TMC signals in the UK.

--

Cheers,

Dave
chrislang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Sadly the TMC problem is not the aerial, I've got a splitter tied in to my car aerial tried with it both before and after the amplified bit of the car Aerial feed (SEAT Altea) but no signal shown in either position.
I guess what they say about the encryption is probably right unless anyone knows different.
Thanks
Chris
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrislang wrote:
Hi Dave

Sadly the TMC problem is not the aerial, I've got a splitter tied in to my car aerial tried with it both before and after the amplified bit of the car Aerial feed (SEAT Altea) but no signal shown in either position.
I guess what they say about the encryption is probably right unless anyone knows different.
Thanks
Chris

According to the UK concessionaires, Talex, TMC comes "free for life" with the 7000 unit. They also sell teh 6000 unit but smply say that TMC is included. I e-mailed them a while agio and they were extremely helpful with all my queries... despite the fact that I've still held off ordering the 7000 from them. I'm sure they will be able to clear up the TMC issue better than Navigon themselves! www.talexgps.co.uk

--

Cheers,

Dave
chrislang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Total confusion now ! Reply with quote

I chased up Navigon support, not helped by the fact that the uk support seems to be handled by the Dutch support team! so I sent copies of everything to both.
This resulted in the following tthree repies in the last 12 hours!:-

"1) Dear customer,
thank you for work with Navigon. About your the first question, the TMC it is working in UK. It is not in our list, but it is working. For another side, to your question with the speed controls we can offer you, one extra software POi where the informations are very goods, but is not possible to download free, only we have in our shop for our clients like an extra. But the informations are working very fine.
I hope we helped you. Thank you very much
Best regards
M. Benedé
Support On-line NAVIGON

2) Dear Mr. Lang,
Thank you for your email.
Unfortunaly is the information i give you that the TMC signal is not free for use in the UK the correct information, this means you can not use TMC in the UK until the special programm is available wich Navigon is develloping at the moment.
A internet site for POI programms is www.poihandler.com
Your Transonic has left enough memory to use those kind of programms (they are regular very small).
For the missing speelimits in the map material we advice you to contact NAVTEQ wich is the supplier for the maps we use, they are happy to hear about errors in the map material.
You can contact NAVTEQ over the following website: www.navteq.com
With kind regards
E. Verpoort

3) Dear Mr. Benede, ( They are now confused also! I think they mean me)
thank you for your reply.
Pay TMC services are currently not supported by Mobile Navigator 6 on your device, only free TMC services e.g in Germany, The Netherlands etc.. According to the information I have, only Pay TMC Services are available in the UK. Thus, you will not receive any TMC traffic messages with your hard- and software combination. However, you can check whether the software recognizes the built-in TMC receiver. If the street sign with the exklamation mark appears at the top right, then the software has recognized the receiver (the symbol is red). If it receives TMC messages, it is white.
Currently, it is not possible to upgrade your navigation system in such a way, that it receives Pay TMC messages. We might, however, offer such a feature in the future.
If there are still open questions, please do not hesitate to ask us.
With kind regards

So I'm now more confused than ever! I have also following Dave's suggestion sent an e-mail to Talex to see if they can clarify the situation -

I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards
Chris
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris

I can confirm that Poi Warner does work with MN6 BUT they say that you must be using version 6.1. Check your version and upgrade as necessary.

For Dave it also works with the PDA version and Navigon have told me today that the upgrade will be out SHORTLY ( whatever that means) and we now know that the maps are 4/2006.

Having been a firm supporter of POIObserver I changed to Poi Warner only because I always used Google to translate the German website and Navifriends have changed their sysytem so that it doesn't show the actual address thus thwarting my attempts to read the forums.

Pocketgpsworlds speed cameras database is FAR better than the German ones and I shall still be using that!
chrislang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: New Upgrade helps Reply with quote

Still no TMC, but have done the latest free upgrade from Navigon ( can't give you the version as I'm away from home ) have driven from Dorset to Derbyshire today and it's now showing most Speed camera positions, a great improvement.
I had looked at POi Warner and thought I might try it
so thanks for that info Dave

Regards
Chris
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Upgrade helps Reply with quote

chrislang wrote:
Still no TMC

Did you not get a response from Talex about this?

chrislang wrote:
it's now showing most Speed camera positions, a great improvement.

But this isn't the same as simply posting the speed limit of the road which is, of course, what MN6 is supposed to do.

--

Cheers,

Dave
chrislang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

No I haven't yet had any response from Talex.

Speed limits - The only speed limits shown on yesterdays trip were 70mph on the motorway, Relative speed limits were show on most of the camera alerts however some 30 & some 40mph!

Still not perfect by any means but a little more usable as I have this kit.

Regards

Chris
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrislang wrote:

No I haven't yet had any response from Talex.

Hmmm... that doesn't sound hopeful, then. When I sent them a load of questions, they replied within an hour! Of course that might have been because they had a potential sale on their hands. I'll e-mail them again and try to get the TMC issue clarified.

--

Cheers,

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: