Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - rider or quest 1 or zumo??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

rider or quest 1 or zumo??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rasty2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: rider or quest 1 or zumo?? Reply with quote

What is the quick answer for Europe and UK travel, 95% on bike but some car use and maybe walking???

Preferably with all maps loaded.

Thanks Confused Confused
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quick answer is Zumo. Wink

The long answer....

Quest: They have good (12 hours +) battery life and they aren't much bigger than a mobile phone. A lovely little unit in it's day but utterly outclassed by the Rider/Zumo now. Too Slow, limited memory won't take full Europe maps. Not worth the money they are asking for them at the moment - don't get one.

Rider and Zumo both have touch screens, bluetooth and a few hours of battery life for use on foot - ideal for finding your way back to where you parked the bike!.

TomTom Rider: A mate has one and he is very pleased with it, though he had to return it for repairs when the SD card stopped working (TomTom customer services were a pain). A few people here have complained about the bike mounts on the Rider and poor service.

Zumo: I don't think it's out yet? Will interface to the excellent RAM mounts so you won't have trouble finding a way to mount it - what ever you ride. Has optional traffic integration.

The killer feature of the Garmins Zumo and Quest is that they come with Mapsource for the PC so you can plan your routes in advance on the PC and upload them to the GPS. You can also download a tracklog of where you went and create/edit/delete waypoints for favourite roads or points of interest. An absolutely killer feature for us bikers who want to take the "scenic route" rather than being directed up the nearest motorway!

When you buy:

Make SURE you are getting full Europe maps included and unlocked (they are expensive to buy seperately)

Check to see how much of the mapping can be loaded at one time, on units like the Quest you have to choose your maps very carefully to fit in the limited memory.

Check the map coverage for the areas you want to tour in (newer maps cover main roads in Eastern Europe - older ones have no coverage)

Garmin have version 9 maps coming out soon, make sure you get them when you buy.

Good luck!
rasty2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skippy - just the sort of stuff I needed to find out. Thumbs Up
New2GO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rider also fits RAM mounts and has itinerary planning on the PC and has the ability to record track logs via 3rd party software.

It will also integrate with TomTom Traffic through a suitable BT telephone.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New2GO wrote:
The Rider has itinerary planning on the PC

How do you do this, do you have to use Google Maps and/or some third party application to convert the route to a TomTom .itn file or is it officially provided and supported by TomTom?

I understand about the add on to record track logs and if (like me) you are happy tinkering with your unit then that's fine. However, none of this is anywhere near as elegant as the Garmin which supports all of this right out of the box. Plug and play like. :D
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to butt in Embarassed

New2GO wrote:
The Rider also fits RAM mounts and has itinerary planning on the PC and has the ability to record track logs via 3rd party software.

It will also integrate with TomTom Traffic through a suitable BT telephone.

which 3rd party application records track logs mate?
New2GO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some apps here.

http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/plugins.php?lang=uk
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New2GO wrote:
There are some apps here.

http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/plugins.php?lang=uk

thanks.

will have a look at those Thumbs Up
CheesyMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New2GO wrote:
The Rider also fits RAM mounts

Not strictly true. The Rider can be hacked to fit a RAM mount. The RAM diamond ball will fit the back of the Rider mount, but only two screws will fit rather than four and even they aren't properly secured.

Having owned a Rider for a short time I wouldn't touch another one. I'm looking for a sensible price on the Zumo 550 then I'm going to take the plunge. Besides, it looks like the Bluetooth is interoperable with more kit on the Zumo. That was a real pain on the Rider.

Mike
Lardyboy66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Rider or Zumo Reply with quote

I had my TOMTOM Roder for about a year and have to say that I loved the software (I also have a 910) but did have some issues:-

I couldn't use it with gloves.
The ear piece was uncomfortable in my Shoei lid
IT would not work with My Dinese Bluetooth lid
It suddenly would not charge on the bike - I thought it was the wiring !!!

Well I managed to solve all the above, due to the fact that it went flat whilst tryin to catch a ferry home, due to the fat that I missed it (got lost) so had a day to kill. As the rider was not working a put it in a hump pack on the back of the bike, which in time fell off the back of the bike with all contents lost - so all tomtom problems solved. Still clouds and silver linings etc. I too saw the garmin at the bike show and it looks great, but pricey (same price as the rider was) but I would rather pay the extra and get the tool for the job.

Now ordered the Zumo and waiting for its arrival
rasty2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the Zumo is the one but has anybody actually tried one yet? I haven't been able to find an objective review yet either. Anyone?
Lardyboy66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Garmin Zumo 500 Reply with quote

rasty2 wrote:
It looks like the Zumo is the one but has anybody actually tried one yet? I haven't been able to find an objective review yet either. Anyone?

Received mine today, thought I had ordered the 550 but got the 500 - it comes with UK and Europe maps and works really well and is deffinatley more suited to bike with loads of fixings and a proper mount cradle.

The software is a little bit trickier to use than the TOMTOM but thats probably because Im not used to it.

The PC software is great for working on routes before hand which you then simply download to your Zumo - it also charges off a normal usb charger which fits a number of my other items.

dont know how to organise POI's yet and I dont know if I can convert POI's from TOMTOM to Garmin

Overall a much better product although it costs more than the rider 374 instead of 255 it does seem worth it
ianrm1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Zumo, but it's the 550. I thought the major difference in price between the two models of about £100 was due to the 550 having the full European maps etc. Where did you get your 500 for £374 as I've only seen them for approx £450 - £479 inc VAT, over £550 for the 550 model
Great machine - the only fault seems to be a quiet voice for the sat nav directions when using the car cradle, although the MP3 vol level is better.
desd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Zumo 500 Reply with quote

Lardyboy66 wrote:
rasty2 wrote:

Received mine today, thought I had ordered the 550 but got the 500 - it comes with UK and Europe maps and works really well and is deffinatley more suited to bike with loads of fixings and a proper mount cradle.

The software is a little bit trickier to use than the TOMTOM but thats probably because Im not used to it.

The PC software is great for working on routes before hand which you then simply download to your Zumo - it also charges off a normal usb charger which fits a number of my other items.

dont know how to organise POI's yet and I dont know if I can convert POI's from TOMTOM to Garmin

Overall a much better product although it costs more than the rider 374 instead of 255 it does seem worth it

Did the 500 come with a car mount, and also are you able to install the European maps from the computer or are you stuck with the uk maps only??

D
ianrm1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the Garmin website it appears that the 500 doesn't have the car mount and power cable. Not sure about the maps though as it does have the Mapsource DVD with full unlock. Maybe the extra price over the 500 is due to the car mount etc and not the mapping.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: