Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin zumo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin zumo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nharrisn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Garmin zumo Reply with quote

Am interested in getting more info on the zumo, has an integrated speaker in the car mount but can't determine if it's through a connector or bluetooth, hopefully it is a connector which will put it ahead of the Rider in my thinking

http://www.garmin.com/products/zumo/#

Nigel
GPSJago
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here -

I reckon there's a few things that put it ahead -

MP3 on board
TMC - live traffic news
load OS maps for off road use
It tracks and logs were you've been

Most of all I hope it has a better implementation of Bluetooth than Tom Tom Rider - which doesn't doesn't have a stereo A2DP profile and won't connect with my itake blutooth eadphones very well (sound badly distorted). Evil or Very Mad

I haven't been too impreseed with the Rider it's OK - I'm just disapointed in a couple of areas that affect it's usability Crying or Very sad (such as the above and the way it always automatically zooms the display closer in than I would like!).

I do like the fact that Tom Tom is soooo configurable though (even down to changing menu/icon layouts!) are the Garmins that configurable?
Anybody know what version of Bluetooth other Garmin's use?

Cheers
Jago
GPSJago
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops sorry Nigel -

Forgot to add - I interpreted the specs to read that the car speaker is through the car mount (rather than a bluetooth connection). I guess the car cradle has a speaker built in which docks with the Zumo...

Jago
67coronet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nigel, i have a recently purchased a Garmin sreetpilot 2720 to stick on the trusty firestorm to get around the italian lakes. Ran it through an Autocom unit and it was bloody brilliant. I am not big on the techno front but after some reserch on this site and visordown decided it was the one for me.Waterproof, good back up(more than i could say for that load of shunters at TOM TOM when i had a couple of problems with their units in the past)and easy to use. Got it from the boys at sportouring they were gret. Also has a built in speaker with the car power lead-not blue tooth.
Hope this helps.
GPSJago
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Coronet

I think the functionality on the Zumo will be very similar to the 2720 (apart from no hard drive?) so interesested to see what you think of it -

Is it configurable? (I know you can change what info is displayed on screen but ca you change menu layouts etc)

Does it limit the menus/options whilst moving? (Driving safety menus?)

What's the mp3 player like? (Has it got random/shuffle modes? genres etc?)

Can you manually set zoom levels (or does it auto adjust after a few seconds?)

I too had dire responses from Tom Tom support so can sympathise Rolling Eyes
Cheers
Jago
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2720 does not have a hard drive it uses solid state memory .If it had a hard drive it would be useless for a bike as it is its damn good on mine into my Autocom which the Rider wouldnt do.

Rolling Eyes

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
67coronet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the delay in replying, work has been mad lately. The 2720 doesn't have an m.p.3 player but my phone does(palm treo 650) so i ran this through the autocom unit. As for how configurable it is? i couldn't tell you, haven't really played with it that much just plugged it in and used it-that must be a bonus point on its own! you can set the zoom levels easily, even with gloves on, actually you can do everything with gloves on. and the auto zoom is great when you enter roundabouts/junctions e.t.c. The long and short of it is i am not "bigged up" ( i think thats the modern saying) on all this techno' stuff which is why i read this forum. So when i found this unit would do what i whant it to do very easily and a lot more for me to learn i thought "thats the boy for me". Hope this helps
67 coronet
blacktiger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full specs for the Zumo are available on the Garmin website :- http://www.garmin.com/products/zumo/

And GPSW are taking advance orders :- http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod3232.html

Looks interesting doesn't it? I'll probably wait until my old Street Pilot 3 packs up.
nharrisn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this from Garmin customer support, made me happy anyway and zumo is probably the way I will go although still waiting more info on the Magellan 2200T....

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for contacting Garmin (Europe) Ltd.

Thank you for your interest in the Zumo, The unit itself does not have an
audio output but the bracket that the unit will connect to on your
motorcycle will have an audio output for you to plug equipment into.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Best Regards

Jimmy Blacknell
Product Support Garmin (Europe) Ltd

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 13 October 2006 04:12
To: Garmin Sales Europe
Subject: zumo

Before I place a "Pre-order" for the zumo Europe can you
please confirm if the zumo has an audio out socket, this is a necessity
required by motorcyclists to connect to on-board and aftermarket
sound/intercom systems. Hopefully you listened to motorcyclists and included it as you do with the Quest model, having only a bluetooth option for spoken instructions is totally inadequate for a true motorcycle gps unit.
Thank you
CheesyMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin UK seem to know a bit more than when I called them last month. I will be very interested to see the audio output and the mount - which is RAM compatible (hurrah!!).

I would be nice if the Zumo had bluetooth audio as well as the hardwire output. The existing Garmin bluetooth units (e.g. Nuvi) don't support bluetooth output, they only use bluetooth to talk to a mobile phone.

I tried find one to look at in the USA last week but failed miserably. Any info on when they are going to be available in the UK? Early December was the last I heard.

Mike
CheesyMike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... A lesson in reading a website before you post. I just looked at Garmin's website and it has been updated. It now confirms that the Zumo can talk to a bluetooth headset / helmet as well as a phone. Woo hoo!

Mike
Jelster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good look at the Zumo at the bike show last week.

1) It defo has a speaker jack suitable for an Autocom

2) It works with the Nolan Bluetooth Helmet, they've actually tested it.

3) Works with Bluetooth phone, and obviously the phone over rides the GPS

I actually put a bike glove on and used the controls, I found no problem there. I don't like music playing when I'm riding so I'm not that bothered about the MP3 player, but it's a handy addition for the car, as I have an "Aux In" socket.

It's also comes with Garmins desk top route planning software, so you can plan a route on your desktop and upload it to the unit - Brilliant !!

I'm seriously looking at one for next years touring.

Lardyboy66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re Rider and Zumo Reply with quote

I had my TOMTOM Roder for about a year and have to say that I loved the software (I also have a 910) but did have some issues:-

I couldn't use it with gloves.
The ear piece was uncomfortable in my Shoei lid
IT would not work with My Dinese Bluetooth lid
It suddenly would not charge on the bike - I thought it was the wiring !!!

Well I managed to solve all the above, due to the fact that it went flat whilst tryin to catch a ferry home, due to the fat that I missed it (got lost) so had a day to kill. As the rider was not working a put it in a hump pack on the back of the bike, which in time fell off the back of the bike with all contents lost - Embarassed so all tomtom problems solved. Still clouds and silver linings etc. I too saw the garmin at the bike show and it looks great, but pricey (same price as the rider was) but I would rather pay the extra and get the tool for the job.
philipe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Manual Reply with quote

You can now download the manual from Garmin. :P
stevelaughton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: zumoquestions answered Reply with quote

hi guys,

i have just bought the zumo on thursday.

and what a very nice bit of kit.

the answer to the question about the speaker....it is built into the car mount base. when you attach the zumo to it the instructions/music/phone come through the speaker, when you attach your mobile phone by bluetooth the speaker works as a hands free car kit, so no police fines any more by holding it.
if you buy one of those mp3 to cassete player connections from halfords etc, you can plug that into the speaker outlet and the instructions and music and phone calls come through the car stereo system.

i have been able to bluetooth my jabbra head set to the zumo, so if you want to use it in hand whilst walking or cycling you can hear the instructions, music, phone.

when looking for a poi, if you find it in the memory list, and it has a phone number you can call it straight from your phone by pressing the call button.
all very very clever!!!

you can load quite a few albums onto the zumo and as you play them they come through to your helmet when on the bike mount, as well as explained above.

"Autocom" are making a lead to connect it to their system. i have 1 of 5 made as a test to try out for them before they go on sale in the new year.
so far it looks good but the instructions are not loud enough above 60mph to hear in the helmet. and because the lead goes into the gps socket and not the audio socket the music does not get louder as the noise increases as it does when the normal music lead is connected.

it doesnt come with a head set as standard which i find strange? how would you use it with out one?

the mounting that come with itis pooh, it connects to the clutch housing bracket. i had to get an alternative ram from autocom, the mount comes out of the head stock, then it is great, just sits between the screen sides and does not bump any thing as it did before.

having problems with some of the software that connects it to the pc, but hopefully some one will know what i am doing wrong and put me right.

any further questions please ask

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: