Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Password protection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Password protection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Password protection Reply with quote

Greetings
A while back I seem to remember a radio discussion on stolen GPSs and some bigwig from Garmin saying that Garmin GPS had pasword protection, implying that stealing a Garmin would be a problem for thieves.
I have a 2720 but can't find anything about passwords. I might have missed something, but anyone know how?....Anyway if password protection not implemented, why not? Surely that would deter theft?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway if password protection not implemented, why not? Surely that would deter theft?

Because generally thieves don't think when they steal this sort of stuff. The grab what they can sell it for a tenner or a tenners worth of drugs. They don't think about passwords, leads or anything like that. If they do then they worry AFTER it been nicked and then dump it if it can't be sold on.

The only way to deter thieves is not to leave expensive stuff in your car or leave leads and mounts on view...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also PIN numbers for Mobile Phones don't deter theft either.

Always a way round them.
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Sure but why make it easy for them?
I agree with you that the thief won't bother as long as he gets money for his next fix, but IMHO after a while the demand will tail off when buyers realise its not worth buying - word gets round in the pubs, clubs, etc (ie the "market") that its not worth even looking at, say, a certain brand of GPS - and the thief will cotton on that its not worth the effort as he won't be able to unload it (as long as there is nothing else in open view in the vehicle), and hopefully move on.
This ofcourse will not protect from the simple minded "one born every minute" brigade but at least it would serve them right - imagine their thoughts, words and expressions Embarassed Idea when they realise they've been taken - AND they won't do it again!
In the meatime, as you say, take it away with you everytime.
But back to my original point: what was that Garmin bigwig talking about......
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sure but why make it easy for them?

Because it doesn't PREVENT theft!! You still have a smashed window and have lost your Sat Nav - password or no password. That drives up insurance and means i have to pay up for others carelessness. Besides as i said above Mobile Phones have PINs but they still get stolen regularly - no sign of demand for those tailing off.

Not every thief has their ear to the ground and cares about a Market etc. They will just nick it anyway. Do you really think they'll start trying to work out if its a Garmin or a TomTom on your dashboard? Or is it the 310D or 320D that has a Password? Or will they just nick it anyway and worry later?

Further to that there will still be a chance the owner a) won't have used a password b) will have used an obvious password or c) will have the password written on the back of the sat nav or on the dashboard.

Quote:
This of course will not protect from the simple minded "one born every minute" brigade but at least it would serve them right - imagine their thoughts, words and expressions when they realise they've been taken - AND they won't do it again!

If you mean the thief then of course they will! They will just cut their losses, toss it in the nearest bin or alley and nick another one. Or someone will find their way round the password like they can already with Mobile Phone PINs.

I'm sorry but Sat Nav theft victim have no one to blame but themselves, but they seem to miss the obvious. If you leave several hundred pounds worth of electrical goods in a car - what do you expect? Sadly everyone else pays for their error though insurance premium hikes. Thinking that a thief will be deterred by a password or will stop nicking because one Sat Nav they nick has a password is ridiculous.

Remove the Sat Nav and all equipment and there is nothing to nick.
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Also PIN numbers for Mobile Phones don't deter theft either.

Always a way round them.

Not Worthy Point taken!

But it hasn't made the manufacturers give up - phones still have PIN numbers

classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PaulB2005"]
Quote:

I'm sorry but Sat Nav theft victim have no one to blame but themselves,

Not even the thieving scrotes who nicked it??

That is the problem we are facing at the moment and why crime is so high, everyone seems to get the blame except the thieves themselves !!

To old to die young.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not even the thieving scrotes who nicked it??

Yes of course they are to blame but there might be thousands of reasons why someone nicks phones and Sat Nav - drugs, homeless, kicks, peer pressure etc. I'm not a "bleeding heat liberal" but a realist. I know they are out there and will try my damnedest to make it harder for them. If no-one left them lying around they'd never get stolen. Responsibility starts with the owner. Realise they are out there - blaming them won't stop them because they don't care. Stop creating the situation that allows them to operate and take responsibility for your possessions.

Quote:
But it hasn't made the manufacturers give up - phones still have PIN numbers

Mainly because people expect to have them and it'll stop husbands / wives / kids from snooping through the phone. However it'll not stop a thief nicking it as they don't stop and ask if you have a PIN on the phone before they mug you or nick it from your coat pocket / pub table / car dashboard!! You'd be surprised how many people don't use PINs.

My point is that passwords, PIN Numbers etc are all useless if it gets stolen in the first place. Stop leaving them lying around and they won't get stolen, then there's no need for passwords and PINs....
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of a contradiction above, Paul. You say that if Satnavs aren't left lying around then they'd never get stolen but then go on to say how a mugger doesn't ask if your mobile is PIN-enabled before stealing it from you.

If Satnavs aren't left lying around then they will still be stolen. It's very likely that fewer will be stolen but the ones that are will probably become muggings as opposed to smash 'n' grabs.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim. Thank you. Completely right of course, but will a password / PIN number still stop it being stolen - by mugging or smash n grab?

No. It might hamper the thief for a while whilst he gets it unlocked by someone who knows how to do so - as per Mobile Phones, but it'll be worth it in the end for them.

The best way to prevent theft is to remove the opportunity. It's easy NOT to leave it in the car. More difficult to avoid being mugged or the victim of a bag snatch. So many of the Stolen Sat Navs on this forum are "Stolen from Car" and needlessly so.

I'm NOT opposed to PINs and passwords as such. I use a PIN on my mobile but i know it takes seconds to circumvent, so it would still be worthwhile someone stealing it. I use strong passwords on my PC and Wireless Network but i know there are ways around them. I just object to the attitude that their presence will PREVENT theft. They won't. They create a minor inconvenience.

It's almost like people are adverse to removing valuables from their car.
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt it technically possible for a GPS unit to receive encrypted data from a satellite? If yes, wouldnt this solve the problem by reporting stolen GPSs serial number so they can be blacklisted and lock them selves when they receive a specific signal?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=37137

As this would only happen AFTER it was stolen then you would still have the broken window, insurance claim and loss. The criminal would then have to steal another leading to a possible increase in thefts.

Just don't leave it in the car.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read also

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=41698
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a report in today's paper, there is another reason for not leaving it lying around. Thieves look for the 'Home' address on the device then go and rob the place, assuming the occupants are elsewhere. Sad
So, if you must have your home location saved on your device, then just put it in the favourites as just another location, not on the Home tab. Idea
fartyass
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Pin Code Reply with quote

Full marks to TomTom for the pin code protection. A customer brought in a Go 910 that his daughter had managed to activate the pin code (she was looking through the family photos stored on there) left on her own.
Not Knowing much about the pin code I telephoned T/T & explained the customers problem.The operator had to find out the procedure for removing the pin. I had warned the customer that TomTom may charge for this, as it was not a fault. Long story ,short there is nothing we could do other than to return it to TomTom they insisted that the purchase reciept be sent with the 910 to confirm ownership.I was surprissed that there would be no charge for this. Hopefully word gets around to the tealeaf fraternity that a pincoded TomTom is worthless.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: