Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wireless Hotspot POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless Hotspot POI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisDev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Wireless Hotspot POI Reply with quote

I've created a tomtom POI file for wireless hotspots in the UK. I've emailed it to Dave, so it should appear on the site soon. Please let me know your comments (email in the Readme file or post here)

At the moment it only covers The Cloud, BT Openzone and T-Mobile, but that's still just under 2000 sites. I've had to convert the postcodes to Lat/Long using CodeSearch so I hope they are accurate as I can't verify every single one! The problem I have is getting a postcode list of all the sites as most hotspot providers only have a search facility which makes it very time consuming to convert them. The Cloud have been very helpful here.

If anyone wants to add other providers, let me know. I will try to keep it updated as often as possible as I expect the number to grow considerably over the next year or so.

For those people like me who travel in the uk a lot, being able to find the nearest public broadband connection should be quite useful. Navigate to it, park up outside, download email, drive off! :D
Dodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very useful, Chris. Thanks for your time, it must have taken a lot of effort! I'll give it a try this weekend Smile

Dave.
Scoof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: WIRELESS HOTSPOTS Reply with quote

Chris,

This sounds good. I take it that you don't end up with a bill in the post! Is it a 'hit & run' job after a quick download, or can you just sit and surf as you please? Question

Scoof.
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Presumably you have to pay/buy a card for these though?

--ian
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichilton wrote:
Hi,

Presumably you have to pay/buy a card for these though?

--ian

Ian,

Yes, you have to pay. With BTOpenzone, one option costs £6 for one hour's use in 24 hours. Another is £15 for a full 24 hours. They also offer monthly subscriptions, although I don't know the cost of these.

I don't know anything about the other two providers, but I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to find out.

Obviously you need a wifi capable laptop/palmtop/PDA as well.
steved
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT/Microsoft are currently offering a free months access to BT Openzone wifi sites. You need to register at the following address and they then send you the password and login info.

http://www.btopenzone.com/windowsmobile/

The month only starts after you first login, so you can apply now and use when you need to. There is nowhere that you need to enter what wifi enabled device you have 'just' bought, so doesn't seem to be a limit on who can apply (apart from an IP address check to stop you applying multiple times with different names). Offer is open till 26th July.

Steve.
simonlewis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Wireless Reply with quote

Does anyone know about the poi that is constantly updated by people who show all the wirless networks available. I don't mean the ones by bt etc..i mean ones people find by walking around streets etc!!!
Dodgy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wireless Reply with quote

simonlewis wrote:
Does anyone know about the poi that is constantly updated by people who show all the wirless networks available. I don't mean the ones by bt etc..i mean ones people find by walking around streets etc!!!

Check out www.consume.net

Dave.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: