Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hibernating TMC signal
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hibernating TMC signal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Hibernating TMC signal Reply with quote

I posted this on the Garmin thread with no response.

"This is my hibernation time of the year, I curl up for most of the winter and plan my next years seasonal work.
Last Friday I got a call asking for a traffic update from my TMC. Switched it on in the car and hey presto no signal, I took a drive as we needed some supplies from Sainsbury at Bracknell and still no signal.
5 days on and driving around Surrey and Berkshire this morning including Slough and M25 Heathrow area and it seems the TMC signal has joined my winter Hibernation.
Can anyone in the area tell me if there is a problem in this part of the south east ?

Should have said that my TMC runs with Nuvi 350 "

Anyone here having problems around the South East or do I go for yet another replacement ?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hibernating TMC signal Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
Can anyone in the area tell me if there is a problem in this part of the south east ?
I may well travel through that area tomorrow, so might be able to report back on whether there appears to be signal or not, although on my last trip through the area there was little signal (and both my kit and their kit was working fine).
Quote:
do I go for yet another replacement ?
For what reasons have you had replacements so far? What have you done to the unit since replacing it (firmware upgrades, adding POIs, adding maps, adding musci etc.)? Which car charging cable do you have (it is the 6025 cable)?
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's swing for replying, my first TMC just would not work, this second (TMC11) one has been fine since I got earial splitter ( well documented on here) and wired it into the car earial. It takes power from the Nuvi so that should not be a problem.
I'm getting no signal at all around Woking, Guildford, Ascot, Slough , Windsor and Bracknell areas.
So any info if others are getting a signal would help!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, now if it's a GTM11 on a car aerial splitter, then I would generally expect it to work in those areas.

Someone else must have recent experience of this area... anyone?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hibernating TMC signal Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
Although you obviously know the area and where you do and don't expect to get signal better than I, I drove through the rough area to check.

My routes was M4 (from way out west), M25 round to J23 (London Colney).

My feelings were:

Around Reading - I actually got a TMC signal! That's a first! I was roughly around J11-12, and had plenty of data. Having studied the transmitter map, I would now expect this, but had never seen traffic data there before.

Further east - nothing, when I arrived at the M25 (which is the closest I got to Staines). Based on the transmitter map, again I would expect this.

I would expect Bracknell to be covered by the Reading transmitters, but Staines does look too far away for reception from Reading, although it should be able to pick up signal from the South London masts.

Have you checked the GTM diagnostic page to see what it's saying?
mrgthomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hibernating TMC signal Reply with quote

swing wrote:

Have you checked the GTM diagnostic page to see what it's saying?

Swing

How do you get on that mate ? Like I said earlier all I got was your subsciptions are not yet active ??? Confused
mrgthomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing

I believe it was you that just emailed me. If so I have replied and will require that POI please.

Cheers

Gaz
mrgthomas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Swing it wasnt you.

It was infact Mr Mike Alder - Cheers mate your a star ! :D
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a signal all the way out of london down the M3 I only lose the signal at about the Chobham area but this is a bit of a dead area anyway. but would get signal back when I park up at my garage in Bagshot. To be honest, the reception in this area is not good anyway, but I haven't seen a good reception in bagshot for a few months now.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get into the diagnostic menu for the GTM:

Go to View Map, and then press the bottom left hand corner (Speed or ETA) to bring up the Trip Computer page. From there press and hold the Average Speed button. Then press Next 6 times, and you'll be on the GTM page - the important value is the "Level" number.

Please be careful in those diagnostic menus, there are all sorts of things you can press which may affect your unit's operation.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostom, hi neighbour!
I'm just along the road from you. Local car radio dealer in Lightwater sorted out aerial splitter and a connector for my GTM 11.
Since getting it I had no problem getting signal in Lightwater, Bagshot, West End or Chobham, Bisley, Ascot etc until a week or so back!
Now - NOTHING
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost
I'm gona check this properly today on my way home, just to see where it cuts out on the M3. I know chobham common is a dead zone for all communication but i always got it back at least once before bagshot.

I'll let you know.

I have standard navman ariel, no need to change while it still works.
(last words) Confused

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remember though that the Navman uses the iTIS Holdings service on Classic FM, whereas cantgetlost is using the Trafficmaster service on his Garmin, so where one does or does not get signal does not necessarily mean the other will or won't work.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I've just resorted to pulling out the car radia cradle and checking that I had not lost the connection.
But as I thought, I was right that i had taped the connectors of the aerial splitter and the radio works fine. I drove from the BP garage at West End today past Bagshot and Bracknell to the M4 and up past Marlow to the M40 and on to Brackley and returned about an hour ago. Not once did I get a signal.
Unit set to auto so should find RAC live or the other signal I guess, but zilch signal there and back Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
I think it may be on its way to Romsey if I can't get any clear indication re a signal problem.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you get on the GTM diagnostic screen?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: