Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Amplified car aerial splitter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Amplified car aerial splitter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main 2 websites are...

1. Navigon - Here

2. GNS (the actual manufacturer) - Here

GNS only accept Euro bank transfers, whereas I believe you can buy with a credit card from Navigon, but they may not carry the full range of the GNS units.

The final option is to keep an eye on the German ebay site for private / business sellers selling the right cable...
diabeticpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also this link........

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/671

Price €50.00 incl P&P & VAT.

Hope this helps
diabeticpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also this link........

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/671

Price €50.00 incl P&P & VAT.

Hope this helps
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a DIN Y adapter to tap the aerial on my VW BORA.

I got it from http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/antenna_adaptors.htm Part number PC5-105 £7.99. Worked a treat - got TMC on my GTM21 at home for the first time - well worth the investment. NB there is already an amplified aerial fitted to the car.
Alsone1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichDem wrote:
Thanks for the replys guys, as ever this site is a great resource. I saw in Halfords yesterday an FM amplifier for £14. The guy in Halfords pulled my radio out for me (I have a 54 plate Mondeo) So I know what the fitting looks like.

Are you sure you actually got an amplifier though?

I went to Halfords and they were selling auto leads accessories.

The guy tried to sell me an "amplifier". However, a quick look at the instructions inside the box showed that its actually an amplified antenna feed that feeds power up the outside braiding of the cable to an existing amplified aerial on the roof.

It seems the guys at Halfords are selling these like hot cakes as amplifiers.

In fact even the Autoleads website is misleading as far as I can see:

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/antenna_adaptors.htm

I bought the PC5-91 a month ago which is described as an amplifier on both web site and in the main title on the box. However read further down on the box and it says:

"Din to Din adapter - use to seperate / feed 12v from / to amplified aerials".

The instructions inside also suggest its a power feed device for OEM amplified aerials that use braid fed power such as those found on Ford Galaxy's NOT an FM signal amplifier.

I'd check carefully the instructions inside your box, because any improvement might be down to the main aerial connection but it certainly doesn't seem that Autoleads sell any amps. Please feel to correct me if you can find one (ignore the PC5-91) description for the reasons above.

Last edited by Alsone1 on Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alsone1 wrote:
In fact even the Autoleads website is misleading as far as I can see:

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_fitting_kits/antenna_adaptors.htm
Whilst I don't disagree that things could be clearer, and I can't comment on the instructions provided within the box, but one thing I have to comment on - that's not the Autoleads website - their website is www.autoleads.co.uk - your link is just to a company who sell Autoleads equipment.
Alsone1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

I downloaded their full product cataliogue but still couldn't see an FM amplifier although I did skim throuhg it quickly.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - but I don't believe Autoleads themselves advertise any of their products as amplifiers. In the PDF they certainly have the adaptors to support cars that already have built in amplifiers (ie some of those listed as boosters on the nexxia website) - but these are designed to allow you to fit a third party headunit to the car, and still provide the 12v feed to the amplifier.
jonasolof
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote an extensive comment on the GNS splitters but can't post since I'm told that I'm using not allowed HTML tags. Sorry, I'm not using any tags at all, nor did I post any links or use smileys.

In short: The center wire in in the GNS TMC splitter is connected to the car radio antenna cable over a capacitor. However, the shield is not DC insulated although there is room for a capacitor if one wants to include one in the splitter housing.

Yes there is a balun in the splitter, to what impedance matching is done they wouldn't tell.

GNS will give IBAN and BIC numbers for payment over internet bank. No charges if you use euros. Delivery is done with UPS, they might send by post if you ask them.

It seems common pracrtice is to ground the splitter tmc shield to the car radio. Not necessary, it is grounded that way already via the splitter. Why not try to ground it (over a capacitor) to the Nuvi TMC receiver housing.Just cut some plastic away.
Nonny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwfox wrote:
You can carefully take the plastic end off the GTM 21 cable so if you need to you can put it back on, there is a little flap on it which you can remove to reveal the cable.

Grateful if you could tell me how the cable is actually attached to the plastic end. I've lifted up the small flap using a pin, but have not opened it completely for fear of breaking it off. Is the flap hinged? If I am brave enought to open it completely, what will I have to do next in order to remove the cable from the plastic end and how easy is it to re-attach it if I need to?

Shame there are no alternative cables to the Garmin GTM21, i.e. ones that allow you to easily attach an external aerial!

Nonny
[Garmin Nuvi 660]
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flap comes right out - its more of a rubber insert really. Can't remember how the cable was fixed inside - maybe it was knotted, but you will see once you get the flap off.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the black plasic end off the cable. It is then possible to re-insert the cable. You would need to trim it down such that there was no copper cable showing as this would impede the re-fitting. I must say I hadn't noticeda flap - will have a closer look.
Nonny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to cut it in the end. My Subaru aerial is not amplified, so I've just run a wire from it to a convenient location under the dash and attached a mono jack plug to it. To the cut end of the GTM21 I've attached a mono jack socket. I've only tested it parked on my drive, but the signs are good: according to the Nuvi admin screen the signal strength from my local TMC transmitter (Tapton Hill) improves by 30% and the status LED constantly glows green when it's connected to my car aerial. When I disconnect it the status light immediately goes orange and the signal drops away. Will test in anger over the next 3 weeks whilst touring the South West. Here's hoping......

Thanks for all the advice.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonny wrote:
according to the Nuvi admin screen the signal strength from my local TMC transmitter (Tapton Hill) improves by 30% and the status LED constantly glows green when it's connected to my car aerial. When I disconnect it the status light immediately goes orange and the signal drops away. Will test in anger over the next 3 weeks whilst touring the South West. Here's hoping......

From what level to what level was the 30% improvement? And can you please post your experience, preferably quantified where possible, particularly the thresholds at which you receive or don't receive updates while you are touring. Remember that in the hidden menu TMC screen you can see the message counter going up as they are received.
You might also be interested in my post here:
www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=57828
paulweustink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonny wrote:
according to the Nuvi admin screen the signal strength from my local TMC transmitter (Tapton Hill) improves by 30% and the status LED constantly glows green when it's connected to my car aerial.

Hey thanx, great news (I have a c550 with the same problem)!

How did you connect the GTM21 wire to the antenna lead of the radio? Did you use some kind of antenna splitter?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: