Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Multiple Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiple Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalMedia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Multiple Maps Reply with quote

How do we add multiple maps to a new SD card ?

I have an Australian Card and a Canadian Card and now have purchased a 2GB SD Card that I want both maps on so that the originals can be put away.

Using the CD supplied I can backup/restore one card at a time, but cannot put both maps onto my new card without hanging the tomtom at the splash screen.

ANYONE done this yet ?!?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTS of people have done this... but how many have done it using the backup routines on the CD or via "Home" is another matter.

All you need to do is copy and paste the ENTIRE contents of your main card onto the new blank one using Windows Explorer, and then copy just the map folder from your other TT card onto the new one in the same way.

Make sure you have "Show hidden files and Folders" selected in Windows Explorer / "Tools"menu / "Folder options" / "View" Tab; and while you are at it I would suggest DE-selecting "Hide extensions for known file types" in the same place too.
DigitalMedia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

I have tried using the supplied CD, the downloaded Home software and Windows Explorer (my settings always show hidden/sys files and extensions) without success.

The SD card appears to contain just over 1 mg of a hidden partition, but all else is copied over to my new card. This works, then taking the Map folder from the other card over.

Using WExplorer it goes to splash screen and turns off. Using the CD to backup it sits at splash screen and goes no futher.

Also, noticed now with HOME software, it updates to version 6.1 but when restarting TT it shows Version 5.45.

No further advanced.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid I've never heard of any hidden partitions!

The above has twice worked for me, the only thing I can think of is that some people have reported is that the Gos can be picky about the speed of the card and also certain brands.
DigitalMedia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the SD card. I was suspecting as much with speed/voltage it runs at.

May try to get my hands on another brand and try again.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What application are you using on the 2GB card? v6.11/6.14 had problems with cards over 1 GB. You need 6.15.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some older card readers wont read bigger cards..

but if windows is set to show hidden and system files and stuff.. the totmtom card should just show up exactly like a cd would or any other portable media device..

the entire contents of the card can be copied to a folder on your desktop and from there onto any other sd card.. the new map folder is simply added to the contents of the oiginal card.. each map is self contained in its own folder..

u dont need home to make backups either..

trog
DigitalMedia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trogg,

I have done that many times with the same result. The TT hangs at the splash screen and only the reset button gets me out of trouble.

I may be the brand of the SD card - SFINC - that may be the trouble here.

I also tried the HOME software package to upgrade the TT to version 6.1 from ver 5.45 but it doesn't work. Thought that might help my problem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: