Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ViaMichelin Launch the X-980T in London
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ViaMichelin Launch the X-980T in London

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: ViaMichelin Launch the X-980T in London Reply with quote

Michelin has long been associated with excellent standard in the restaurant business, so what better place to hold the launch of the latest Via Michelin SatNav system than the Michelin Bibendum restaurant in the Fulham road, London. Via Michelin have fitted out a luxury coach with presentation equipment and GPS systems to demonstrate their latest SatNav system the ViaMichelin X-980T.

I suppose it was a good sign turning up in the Fulham Road and not only was there a massive building with Michelin on it but also a luxury coach with special livery for a tour of Europe launching the latest ViaMichelin PND (Personal Navigation Device)...

Click here to read the full ViaMichelin X-980T launch article and the press release.
ysurya
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: ViaMichelin Navigation X-980T - TMC Reply with quote

Hi

I am considring buying this and wanted to know,

whether they use TrafficMaster, or iTIS for TMC in UK. How's the TMC reception on this device, does it require external antenna. thanks
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The X-980T does use an external antenna for the FM reception of traffic data. The data comes from ITIS in the UK
ysurya
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. iTIS is good... just placed an order with Amazon.
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: ViaMichelin 980T Reply with quote

I have one and I am really happy with it, particularly the ease of working and the traffic reports.

However, comparing it with the Garmin Streetpilot 2820 which I was using at the same time, it is not as accurate and there is a delay sometimes indicating your actual location. I think an external GPS antenna would help but I do not where to buy one.

If you are travelling in Europe and need to find a restaurant or hotel and want a review at the same time, this device is really good. I just have not decided which one to use permanently as having 2 devices side by side is driving my wife crazy!

Also there is no seperate Forum for the ViaMichelin hardware on this site which is a bit disappointing.
ysurya
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am impressed with this unit so far. I travelled from Southampton to Edinburgh yesterday and had no problems with it. GPS lock is quick, but map movement is slightly slow on 3D full screen. Will try another display options and see the result. POI database is good, TMC is OK, but service was not available in some areas. Though it uses Classic, it was managed to get data from Border FM on A1 near Edinburgh. TMC works directly from internal battery and does not require car charger. Speaker quality (mount) is also good. I also like the 'motorway route activation' feature.
Bluetooth phone works well, but is not perfect for motorways / high speed.

Though I have used a variety many sat nav over the last 12 - 18 months (started with AA, then tomtom5, destinator PN, destinator 6, destinator 6 Trafficsam, navman icn530 and finally X-980T), I think this unit offers good features and is competitive.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested in buying one of these. I really like the look of the split screen.
Normally my partner looks at the screen if I'm unsure and if they can tell me which exit and such is great. My current Navman is not very good at indicating the turning.
Anymore feedback on the 980T is very welcome.
Also what is support like, Navman are so poor and prefer to release new models than fix problems

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: