Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi its me again.
The TMC Receiver arrived at 08.10 this morning. Thank you to Easydevices for a good service.

I have not had the time to take out for a test as yet, But just trying it on the office window this afternoon I have found that it soon looses suction and falls off the glass.
Also for it to work well you will need the new mount. As I just moved the 910 it says TMC lost signal. so it looks the same as the power problem with the mount when it gets shaken in the car.

kevin
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need is some viscous spit!!! Wink

Grrrr Evil or Very Mad I've ordered mine from easy devices as well, just got an email from them saying that they've received my order and will be despatching soon. How long did it take them to despatch yours?

Seriously though, we're not that bothered about the suction cup falling off a window, bluetack is the answer for that!

WHATS THE RECEPTION LIKE??!!

I have a new mount and want my tmc receiver :x
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remus wrote:
Hi its me again.
The TMC Receiver arrived at 08.10 this morning. Thank you to Easydevices for a good service.

I have not had the time to take out for a test as yet, But just trying it on the office window this afternoon I have found that it soon looses suction and falls off the glass.
Also for it to work well you will need the new mount. As I just moved the 910 it says TMC lost signal. so it looks the same as the power problem with the mount when it gets shaken in the car.

kevin

It is interesting that you have one already, as they have not yet been announced in the UK or France. I dont know the reasons behind this other than it has been delayed. Apparently there are "regional variations" so each country has its own press release.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single european market has its uses...

As long as it works (and it seems it does) it's perfectly legitimate to source them in germany and sell here - not a darned thing TT can do about it either.
paulc1976
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine today ordered it from an ebay seller in germany worked out about £69 inc p&p reception seems ok does drift in and out a bit, its a bit like the sat reception seems to improve the longer the unit has been turned on, seems to vary provider depending on location at home it tunes in to Radio 4 93.3FM on the way to my nearest town (Wrexham) it picks up Radio Cymru 104.?, then in Wrexham it picks up Marcher 103.4 FM, I've tried all sorts of routes but no info has been listed when I calculate them, maybe you have to get into the local area before local incidents are reported, I'm off on a 200 mile trip to the isle of wight in a lorry of Fri so i'll see if its any good and whether the overhead luton affects the signal as it does with GPS.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're unlikely to get much at night...

The main traffic information is here: http://www.trafficengland.com/TCC/

Try looking for a roadworks or something then plotting a route through it.

(try Birmingham.. that's a mess at the moment).
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine today, going to be travelling around the norfolk area so I will let you know how it performs later on tonight.
jamiepyoung
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIne has arrived this morning - i have to drive thorugh the hell of the M6 / M5 everyday, so lets see how it works there.
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't it tune into Classic FM for traffic info?

I wonder if the ones brought abroad include the Itis licence for use in the UK?
remus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ve only tried mine from home so far but the info is coming from Classic FM.

kevin
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been testing the TomTom RDS TMC Receiver.

And....I'M PLEASED WITH IT :D

Got it from Easy Devices, ordered it on Friday, it arrived today.

Soem tips to start off with.

MAKE SURE the cable is as straight as possible, this might not be possible in a small car, but you'll have no problem in a family saloon. I like having my GO 910 next door to me by the wheel so i can use it easily, so I have streched out the cable to run to the passenger side, right up again the left hand side.

As soon as I planned my route from Lincolnshire to Norfolk, the tmc connected to Classic FM and found many roadworks and closed roads. On my journey i navigated past a 25 minute delay due to a convoy system.

The thing I have noticed is that under the Traffic Preferences option, You can select what country to get the traffic info from. I selected "Any Country (Strongest Signal) " This seemed to mostly get info from BBC 4 and Classic FM. I have noticed that if under the same option you select "Unitied Kingdom" then it seems to retrieve info from local stations around the 104-107 FM range. This might be good for local city traffic info.

So overall i'm pleased with the tmc receive, looks like the wait has proved worth-while. I would only recommened people to buy one if they do a lot of travelling as it proves very reliable.

Just thought i'd let you all know,
If the other users could post their findings and thoughts on what countyr to set the inof retrieval from, we would be grateful,

Cheers,

lydiachris
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only niggle after using it for some time I suppose it that you can't seem the traffic situation for the whole of the UK. It's only regional, of course this does not matter when you are driving as it will automatically update and change. But say if you we're planning on driving a long distance, up and down county let's say, it would be usful to know before you set out that a road was closed somewhere in the country which you could primarily avaoid.
duckie008
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people who bought the receiver from easydevices.co.uk, did you get any discount for being a subscriber on this site?
jamiepyoung
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, what am i doing wrong???

plugged the new tmc receiver in, its recognised etc.

selected uk

it eventually found radio 2 and 3, but lost these after a while.

in a 1 hour journey, i got no info.

i had the aerial stretched out (about 75% of it).

help.....
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Itis you should get reception in 95% of the strategic road network only via Classic FM:

http://www.itisholdings.com/itmc2.asp#

So perhaps when others are getting reception of other stations they are not actually getting TMC data - maybe they are not receiving Classic FM at that time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: