Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Coming back to Garmin !!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming back to Garmin !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Coming back to Garmin !! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I need some advice on which nuvi I need to get. I had a Garmin i3, loved it to bits but wanted something touch screen and with a few more features. I spared no penny and went for the tomtom 910 .... what a big mistake. The unit is just too bulky (i get reluctant on taking it with me to places) and the software is not stable at all. I had various mount problems too. There are also other things I dont like about tomtom which were better in the garmin (or maybe Im just used to Garmin now hehe)

Anyway, Im after a nuvi but dont know which one to get. Im looking for good map coverage (atleast europe), Im not really after bluetooth as Ive never used it in my 910 but am after an mp3 player as that might be better in the nuvi (the 910 is pants !!)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hope to be back on this forum soon !! Smile Smile

Thanks
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50+ reads and no one knows which nuvi is best ??
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried reading all comments re the nuvi on this forum...from the amount of posts you have done you seem to be clever enough to make your own mind up....
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a TomTom Devotee from Day one, TT TT2 TTOne and finaly the 910

Made many posts here about it, and finally dumped it in disgust some months ago,

I have been without a unit since feeling that a unit was better than any of the other options.

Anyway say the Nuvi 310D Special Package at Halfords a few days ago (Already posted here for reference)

Nuvi 310 Unit
GMT12 TMC Traffic Antenna
FULL EUROPE DVD & Unlocking Codes for all Regions
Blank 256Mb Card for MP3s (Maps are on internal Memory)

All for £299 (Reduced from £499!!)

So I was tempted.

What can I say

WOW! Bluetooth works phone paired, Audiobooks work, The TMC Service works!. OK the maps look a little bland compared to the rich TT colours, but it routes it works and it does not droop or give any other grief

And all for £299.. (Stick a 2Gb card in it for £20 from Dabs) and you can load all the Euro maps and have a TT910 killer for £299

Well Done Halfords & Garmin you have a convert..
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Flashyphotos.

I dont really use the bluetooth feature in the GPS devices and am really just after full map coverage of Europe (if possible but not neccessary). Would the nuvi 300 be fine for that ... its only £219.99 ! Bargain I reckon ... ?

Thanks again
Paddywack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been advised by Garmin that a Nüvi uses City Navigator NT mapping that allows you to do post code searches. You can only purchase the NT mapping on a preprogrammed SD-Card .

The "standard" City Navigator mapping available on DVD will not allow any post code searches.

You will also not be able to preplan routes on your PC and then send them to your nüvi as it was not designed to do this. You can only plot waypoints and then send them to the unit. This can be done on the unit itself so I'm not sure if there is any real benefit to doing it on the PC.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nudda wrote:
am really just after full map coverage of Europe (if possible but not neccessary). Would the nuvi 300 be fine for that ... its only £219.99 ! Bargain I reckon ... ?
The Nuvi 300 only comes with UK maps. So does the 310 (whereas the 350 and 360 come with full European mapping built in). However, the 310D (as listed above, £299 in Halfords) comes with the UK maps built in, but also has the DVD and unlock code to allow you to install any of the maps of the rest of Europe onto an SD card.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 310D Package that comes from Halfords at £299 has FULL 7 Digit UK Postcode search.

Cheers

Richard
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Reference the DVD that comes with the 310D Package at Halfords is

City Navigator NT+ V8.02 Full Western Europe Inc UK & Ireland Unlocked for all regions.

And yes the maps on it have Full Postcode search in the UK
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I say it in this forum, but you might take a look at TomTom One v2 Europe which has just arrived in Halfords at £269.99. It seems very stable and has the following features
    Full street level mapping of Europe, with much more detail in Ireland, Portugal and Spain (and possibly other countries) than previously
    NavTeq maps instead of TeleAtlas
    Ability to pre-program and store multi-waypoint routes using your PC
    Seamless mapping across the whole of Europe
    Full postcode search in UK and Netherlands
    Easily loaded POIs from pgpsw database
    Built in backup onto your PC

I have used PDA satnav for about 3 years and also use my wife's Garmin i3 from time to time, but the new TT1 v2 is much more user friendly than either

Robin[/list]
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys

I would have a read on the tomtom forum about the tomtom one v2 as its pants apparently. I wouldnt get another tomtom for sure ... Garmin all the way.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nuvi 350 with inbuilt European mapping that Ive used In Holland, Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and Spain apart from the UK.
Problems ! Well none really, works a treat! I have Mafts POI's leaded and European custome POI's for everything from Hotels to Diy Stores.
The 350 has a habit ploting my ETA very very accurately even over 600 mile plus journeys in Europe.
The 360 has Bluetooth phone features but having seen a 360 in use I'm happier to stay with my regular bluetooth phone setup with voice dialling.
Playing around with touch screen when driving is not a good idea for me so the 350 does for me, it works well on foot and the books and MP3 player are good for a high mileage away from home a lot traveler.
TMC set-up seems to work better in France than the UK, but in my experience only buy a TMC that can be fitted to the externeal car aerial!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: