Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - best sat nav 4 hgv:?????????? ????????????????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

best sat nav 4 hgv:?????????? ????????????????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i have to dissagree there totally tomtom is not totally usleess and has never yet taken me off a motorway unessacerily in over 3 years of usig it .

ive only used navman v1 an that was around 3 years ago and it was terrible i havent used navnam recently as yet

the best one for routing ive come across tat gave senible reroutes was the original aa navigator software

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4. Adjustable/Customisable route generation to prefer certain types of road.
[quote]

is your garmin like the tomtom having to choose different speed limits for a & b roads etc. if it is did you have to play around with it to get it more suitable for hgv?
wallbanger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a Tom Tom sat nav, it is no good using speed limit option, you are better off using quickest route, (you can't use both). This way it keeps on the main roads. I own a Tom Tom 510, Garmin 300, Becker, navman 530. all cannot be completly trusted if you are driving a truck. I have tried them all over thousands of miles. But the one that is best out of them all is 1 the Tom Tom, then 2 the navman, 3 becker which very slow at calculating. worst of all for trucks is the Garmin. it quite often tries to takes you up dead end roads, non existant roads,(roads that no longer exist because of a new or altered road that has been made), wrong way up one way streets, ect. I hope this is a help.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try igo you put multiple waypoints in so it will take you the way you want to go

device Lumia 950 xl
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallbanger wrote:
If you use a Tom Tom sat nav, it is no good using speed limit option, you are better off using quickest route, (you can't use both). This way it keeps on the main roads. I own a Tom Tom 510, Garmin 300, Becker, navman 530. all cannot be completly trusted if you are driving a truck. I have tried them all over thousands of miles. But the one that is best out of them all is 1 the Tom Tom, then 2 the navman, 3 becker which very slow at calculating. worst of all for trucks is the Garmin. it quite often tries to takes you up dead end roads, non existant roads,(roads that no longer exist because of a new or altered road that has been made), wrong way up one way streets, ect. I hope this is a help.

i thought that the speed limits that you enter for different roads A & B ect, were for it to calculate the shortest route and setting the correctly would keep the truck on the major roads?

am i wrong by saying this?? Rolling Eyes
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gangalee wrote:
Quote:

So far it’s between garmin or a tomtom that im going to spend my money on, has robins low bridge poi’s got no problem downloading to the garmin?

Loading poi’s using garmin’s poi loader is a breeze, just make sure you have your files appropriately named i.e. poi.csv-poi.bmp (it’s the same set up for the tomtom).

Quote:

Does it have a memory card you can up grade to a bigger one?

No, it has 750 Megs of user-map memory which as far as I’m aware cannot be upgraded,
But I have the speed zoned cameras, bridges, truck stops, service stations, rail head container ports; Docks & Container restitution ports loaded no problem.

Quote:

That’s interesting that you can avoid low bridges can you only do that as you’re confronted with them or can you set it to do that before you start your journey?

I always plan all my unknown journeys before I set off, as I am planning I always scroll through the route after each calculation to make sure there are no nasty surprises on-route. If the last calculation is not satisfactory i.e. low bridge or unclassified/unknown road, I will add waypoints or block roads until I am happy with the route generated. When I am happy with the route I proceed on my journey with peace of mind. You can see why features 4-7 inclusive are important to me. I also compare the route generated with the AA truckers atlas to make sure. The 2720 has a icon on screen which will set the map to "north up" to make comparison easier.

Hi gangalee ive just got the garmin 2720 yesterday and it did give me some good routing.

I want to install the lowbridge pois and speed cameras and you said you have got the “truck stops, service stations, rail head container ports; Docks & Container restitution ports” all loaded on as well, where are those pois available from?

Ive tried downloading the speed camera database off this sight but am unsure if ive downloaded the rite one for the 2720 so have not installed it, could you tell me which is the rite one to install? (It’s the abbreviations that gets me confused)

I think if I want all what’s on yours as well as the cameras you have to install them all at the same time is that rite?
HarryMonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gangalee wrote:
Could some of you Truckers post your satnav unit/experience here so we can get a clearer picture of whose using what? & “your on the road” experience?

Tomtom One Europe

Good coverage of UK and Western Europe. Easy to use etc

I now have the voice commands turned off, leaving audible tones for low bridges, gatsos etc, and whenever I am trying to get somewhere, I always look at the signposting first, only using the Tomtom as confirmation. If signposting and Tomtom disagree, I ignore the Tomtom.

It is a good tool, and pretty benign in a car, but in a 44 tonne artic you could get into a lot of trouble if you followed it too slavishly.
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All

monkeys wrote
Quote:

I want to install the lowbridge pois and speed cameras and you said you have got the “truck stops, service stations, rail head container ports; Docks & Container restitution ports” all loaded on as well, where are those pois available from?

The speed cams & low bridge poi sources are well documented.
Truck stops, service stations can be found on various Tom Tom poi sites & converted to *.csv format for loading into your 2720. Its been so long since I obtained this data I can't remember the url's but I'm sure some-one should be able to help out.

Rail head container ports; Docks & Container restitution ports are "in- house" databases constructed in Autoroute which are not in the public domain for security reasons & are obtained on a "need to know basis"

Sorry if I've been scarce in my postings recently, but I've been very busy the last few months working out of the Docks (out all week)

Quote:

Hi gangalee ive just got the garmin 2720 yesterday and it did give me some good routing.

Good to see you took the plunge, I am still as happy with my 2720 as when I first bought it, Great little unit!
I encourage you to experiment with the settings, its a very configurable machine, some of the options can be buried too deep in the software but the more you use it the easier it becomes.

A review of the 2820 has been posted on this site, check it out!
The 2820 is basically a 2720 with Bluetooth capabilities
Lowbridge-Speed Camera Data
monkeys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi gangalee your rite about it having lots of options, ive lost a few changes that ive made to them but have always found them eventually, the one I play around with most is the “fastest” or “shortest” route “fastest” keeps the motor ways more so I would say is the best option for hgv in a unfamiliar area,

I wouldn’t mind trying to convert the low bridge pois and then consolidate them but would think that it would be time consuming and a bit tricky, have you got any advice if I try to attempt it?
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alix , I see your current favorite software is iGO and that you had some good routing in Scotland using the Truck etc settings . Will you be able to give an update on the pros and cons of this software for HGVs and motorhomes , including adding pois , route planning etc ? The latest Miomap v3 + Europe mapping ( same software I think ) is available soon for about £85 . I am thinking that this version on the sc would plug into my mio 168 and install the software , but to go back to TT6 I would have to swap the cards .
Bill
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi bill ive just managed to pop home for a while and am out in the morning ill post a indepth over the weekend

device Lumia 950 xl
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi sorry its so late but here goes here the link for the reveiw tha lutz and I did http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/iGo2006.php

routing Ive not been up to scotland recently but one of the feature of iGO is the amount of way points you can put into it so you can be routed a specific way though the routing is pretty good anyway

adding poi there is a converter available from iGO for this im hopeing that oldie will make the download pois available for iGO but this may or may not be possible due to the way the poi are generated on the pgpsw

the mio v3 applicaion is based on iGO 2006 but has an easier menu to use

if you can id wait for the next version to come out

device Lumia 950 xl
unclebill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alix , I had read the report and the discussion that followed .
Ravi talked about the mio C510 and said
Quote:
I-Go on this machine (aka Miomap 3) is deeply impressive. It just does so much more than the competition and it does it better and quicker.

2) There appears to be no crazy routes at all! I've planned several routes on which the Nuvi & TT delivered mad routing - preferring single track roads over A roads, jumpingon and off Motorways etc, and the 510 has not selected any of these. In fact the routing appears to be balanced and sensible.

3) Selecting 'Lorry' will definitely generate a different route to 'car'. One time it told me that my destination was unreachable by lorry (v.narrow road) but it was fine by car!

I believe that you like to check the routing against the map or rather you know the roads so well that you can enter way points and generate a good route . I don't do much detail planning for motorhome routes . The time that I tried putting in "via" points in France took me slap bang through the town centres on narrow roads , should have browsed the route first of course . On the other hand if I could say I was a "lorry" and know that narrow roads would be avioded .....
The advice about waiting for a later version (miomap v4 ?) sounds very wise , in the meantime I will keep watching the forums .
uz2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Sat Nav for HGV Reply with quote

Hi, I am an HGV driver and I use the Garmin Quest, It will do what you spoke off and it will store 500 waypoints in "my locations" and 50 in "recent finds" that means a possible 550 customer delivery points. These will be visible on the map and you can zoom in to 20ft and out to 500 miles,and you can scroll across the screen to where you need to go to and find it manually. Also if the ciggie lighter does not work in the truck it is possible to get 15 to 20 hrs on its own battery, all the others will only do about 3.5 to 4.5 hrs. On line at MNC for £171.

uz2
Eurotrucker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 910 Reply with quote

Hello all. I have been using the tomtom 910 in my truck since it first came out with no problems. The speed is set to 54mph and have low bridge alerts in the UK.
I have used it all over europe with no problems at all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: