Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I3 firmware 3.20
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I3 firmware 3.20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well had a good test out of 3.20 today. In Nav mode it is much better, faster sat lock much faster calculation and recalculation than 3.10. Accuracy is better and there is no random thinking that i am on a different course business that it did before.

View map mode sucked in urban Manchester (The map just disapeared), but in the back of beyond was fine and dandy (WAAS and track up). As i rarely use view map its not too much of an issue.

As a note the unit is one with maps on micro SD card.
porky48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks steveapp that was interesting.

I totally agree about staying with the firmware supplied and that is what I intend to do from now until I buy another unit, but I cannot agree with the bargain basement bit, as far as I'm concerned with electronic equipment whether a product is top of the range or bottom of the range the upgraded firmware should work as good as the firmware supplied preferably better, there should be no differential between the status of the equipment, and if Garmin are applying different rules then they must be a very unprofessional company.
I wonder how many I3 units have been sold? And how many people have upgraded there firmware only to find the unit is now faulty or unusable, the percentage of people on this forum must be minuscule compared to the total amount of units sold, so there must be a lot of very unhappy I3 owners out there, and still Garmin releases faulty firmware. How many is it now? Five faulty releases since 2.70, that’s appalling!!!!
I worked for Motorola for 20 years and It would have been impossible for this sort of thing the happen, so I just cant get my head around why Garmin haven't pulled out all the stops and resolved the problems for all models of the I3. Just as a customer relations issue it should be their top priority, as many I3 owners will want to buy a new unit at some time in the future, will they buy a Garmin product now??
mussey1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Currys the other day and happened to see the Tom Tom One for £199.

Looks like a really nice unit and is only £50 more than I paid for my i3.

I think if I had known all the issues before purchasing an i3 I may have gone for the Tom Tom instead.

Mussey1.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mussey1 wrote:
I think if I had known all the issues before purchasing an i3 I may have gone for the Tom Tom instead.

Mussey1.

I would strongly urge people to look at the (MAJOR) issues with TomTom and in particular the level of their customer service and response to buyers and then (and only then) make such bold statements.
suby786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all

jus upgraded to 3.20, have had no problems thus far, but in the ABOUT section, it says 3.20 firmware, but the audio version is STILL 2.00, i thought it goes to 2.50?

i have used the latest webupdater 2.40 to do the upgrade

will i have a problem using 2.00 audio on 3.20 firmware?
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suby786 wrote:
hey all

jus upgraded to 3.20, have had no problems thus far, but in the ABOUT section, it says 3.20 firmware, but the audio version is STILL 2.00, thought it goes to 2.50?

Depends on what I3 you have the latest everything on the internal memory goes up to 2.5 the original maps on the Micro SD Card goes to 2.00.

Months ago this caused confusion amongst users and a communication to Garmin and a response clarified this very subject.

All's ok with your unit Thumbs Up
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
mussey1 wrote:

Mussey1.

I would strongly urge people to look at the (MAJOR) issues with TomTom and in particular the level of their customer service and response to buyers and then (and only then) make such bold statements.

You may think that was a bold statement that the other poster made - however, I haven't yet read a bad word about the TomTom One (shrug)
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Almahadeus wrote:
mussey1 wrote:

Mussey1.

You may think that was a bold statement that the other poster made - however, I haven't yet read a bad word about the TomTom One (shrug)

Put the word "Customer" in your forum search and then count how many threads you'll get for TomTom and the problems people are encountering and cmpare these to the number of Garmin problems you can find. I think that people should be quite reasonable in their reviews and not just emotional (and sometimes defensive).
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
Lester_Burnham wrote:
Almahadeus wrote:

Put the word "Customer" in your forum search and then count how many threads you'll get for TomTom and the problems people are encountering and cmpare these to the number of Garmin problems you can find. I think that people should be quite reasonable in their reviews and not just emotional (and sometimes defensive).

I've no interest in doing general comparisons between vendors.

This posting that drew comments was specifically about the TomTom One. And I've said - I've not read anything bad about it.

And whilst you may have an axe to grind with the comparison of vendors, if somebody suggests a particular model, and that model seems well received, it's not unfair of them to cite it, nor is it unfair of me to defend and reiterate that.
mars.1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am i missing something here, about upgrading from 2.00 to audio 2.50, because so many people seem to want different languages on there i3s or does it do something else i dont know about with the audio upgrade.
swanson2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: FW 3.2 Working OK For Me Reply with quote

Hi,

I have upgraded my i3 to Firmware Update 3.2 and have subsequently been on a return trip from County Durham to Reading via London.

Everything worked OK (except for new roads etc which are obviously not recognised by the installed software).

I think that this Firmware update is the best so far but in all honesty had few problems with 3.1.

As for Garmin, (I have never had to contact them as both our i3' have proved reliable from the day we bought them), virtually all the comments I have read on this and other sites, from customers with problems who have contacted Garmin for help, have been extremely positive with regard to the assistance given and the speed of response.

My i3's both have all the required software onboard and I do not use a separate memory card.

I have the latest speed camera update installed plus around 10,000 additional POI's.

Regards,

Robert Swanson

:D
sanaar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Im concerned, ver 3.2 is total p1sh for my unit !!!
No sat lock for ages, unit locks up, white screen, etc.etc.
In nav mode and map mode.
Back to ver 2.7.
I have i3 with external maps.
city navigator v9 (indexed and routeable
metroguide north america v6(indexed and routeable)
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get the impression that v3.2 works better with the internal map i3's than with the i3's with cards...
mars.1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think the new filmware version 3.20 is the best so far, map mode is not slow as some people have said and every thing else works how it should if not better. I have one of the old i3 units whitch came with transflash card.
sanaar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....Which goes to prove it depends on each individual unit.
How can 2 identically manufactured units with external cards behave so differently?
As far as im concerned its 2.7 from now on no matter what they bring out next.
city navigator v9 (indexed and routeable
metroguide north america v6(indexed and routeable)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: