Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Improving TMC reception
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Improving TMC reception

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malc77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Improving TMC reception Reply with quote

I have found that I can position my C510D with TMC GTM21 below my cars dashboard/windscreen level, so it is out of sight from prying eyes and also the screen is out of direct sunlight, avoiding reflections and making it easier to view
The satellite reception appears to be unaffected, but the TMC reception was worsened.
I decided to try and impove the TMC aerial performance, which I have done by wrapping the GTM21 aerial wire around a small diameter (about 6mm) non-metallic former and then wrapping another longer length of wire on top of this, holding all in place with adhesive tape.
I could then position the longer length of new 'aerial' wire exactly where I wanted it, and again out of sight, at the lower edge of the windscreen. Reception is now good, and better than I got with the straight GTM21 aerial wherever I positioned it in the car.
There is no physical 'join 'between the two coils other than the mutual inductance of the two coils, and no breach of the aerial insulation, so the unit is still completely 'intact' should a warranty claim arise.
Using a ferrite rod as the former created no further improvement, presumably because of the high frequencies involved, but I found it better to wind the new longer aerial wire on top of the GTM21 wire, rather than the other way round.
I have been careful to allow the unit to remain easily removable from the car so it can still be connected to my computer for updates etc.
TGL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that you could be experiencing the same problems as Nuvi users. The in-car power adapter could be faulty. Garmin have a solution for this now, by supplying a new power lead. The experiences you have had sound identical to Nuvi users, so contacting Garmin support could be the answer to your issues.

tgl
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the C510D uses the GTM21, which is a combined car charger and GTM module - so although it might well be suffering similar problems to the Nuvi, there's no option to try a different car charger, and the only solution is to wait and see if Garmin feel a fix is needed for the GTM21 tool.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: