Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 6 Ireland Issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 6 Ireland Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Destinator 6 Ireland Issues Reply with quote

Hi

Can anyone answer the following questoins for me. I am a Co-Pilot user who just purchased D6 mainly as the mapping of Ireland was complete and I wanted to check out other systems. I have a couple of qeries though on Addressing and speed limits.

On addressing I needed to go to an address on Wellington Road, Dublin 6W. When I tried to enter these details into D6 I first input the city as Dublin (Dublin 6 or 6W was not on the options) then when it looked for the street it gave me Wellington Road in the city centre. There was no other option. This was a bit confusing so I tried another address in D24 which I knew existed and the same thing happened. It didnt recognise D24 addresses as part of Dublin but on the other hand woud't give me an option of selecting D24. With the Wellington Road address I knew that it bordered Tymon Park so I used the POI near option and asked for Parks etc near Templeogue Road which was appearing as an address and hey presto Wellington Road, Dublin, 6W appeared on the list exactly as I have typed with the commas etc. Looking at loads of other options I could not get it to appear using the address option. Any help ??

On speed limits I noticed that the "R" and "N" roads seem to have been assigned the same sped limit (100km / hr). This doesnt bother me that it doesnt tell me when I am over the speed limit on R roads as it does in 50km / hr areas but when it is routing for the quickest option it obviously doesn't distinguish between the R and N roads and thinks that the R roads are just as fast as the N roads, and as anyone who lives in Ireland knows this is not the case. An example was when I was travelling on an N road and it tried to make me change onto an R side road which is shorter by about 100m but obviously not quicker. My question is if there is anyway to edit the limits within the data files (as in CoPilot) to change all R roads to 80km / hr which is the speed limit and to leave the N roads at 100km.

Sorry about the long email but thanks for any possible help.
TheRock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

Destinator has issues with same street names in one city. Try this:
switch the adress mode to street-city
enter the street
start to enter the city; when D6 switches of the keyboad re-enable it and hit the next character.

Now you should be able to choose the right city-part.
PaulM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi The Rock

Tried that but didnt work. The way D6 displays the address after locating it using the POI option is Wellington Road, Dublin, 6W. Even after re-enabling the keyboard I cant get it. Can you try that address on yours ? The POI option worked when I looked up parks near Templeogue Road and displayed it no problem.

Thanks
TheRock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

Just installed the UK-Ireland map.
What works is useing the zip code:
hit address-mode-postcode
and enter 6w - wellington road

looks like the address you described
PaulM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that worked perfectly
Corkonian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of it over all Paul?

I found the addresses a nightmare to find - I've figured it out now more or less - streets in some towns near cities only show up if you put the nearby city name.
The names of some towns don't exist at all - Mallow for example- it's there with street level detail but the actual name is not Rolling Eyes

There's a few roads I travel that don't appear at all.

Rights of way at junctions are wrong 50% of the time - seriously dangerous especially if you miss the sign because you're looking at the GPS Embarassed

The route planning is good sometimes but others it can double the mileage with routes that make no sence at all.

Still I'm glad we finally have something!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: