Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SIRF / NMEA BAUD RATE ?????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SIRF / NMEA BAUD RATE ?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisJones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: SIRF / NMEA BAUD RATE ????? Reply with quote

Hi. I have been using my Ipaq 2210 and Haicom 303-mmf successfully for a week now. I think the combination really is excellent. I have a few questions I wonder if someone could answer for me:

1. I understand that SIRF and NMEA are different standards. The Haiom appears to work using both settings. Which is the best? What are the differences?

2. I note that different baud rates can be used. I appear to be able to use 4800 or 9600. Will I see a difference? Will there be any advantage using a faster baud rate?

3. How do I change between the different settings on my Haicom? I have a copy of Winfast Navigator which appears to let me into a screen which shows NMEA and SIRF settings. Will changing these settings and saying OK actually alter the baud rate etc. that the GPS is set to?

4. I see an additional setting for WAAGNOS. How do I enable this and would I get any advantage in doing so.

Sorry if these are basic questions but I can't find any answers in any of the documentation I have.

Thanks all.
Regards, Chris.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. NMEA is text based (you can read the stream), SiRF is binary. Means SiRF is using the serial bandwith better

2. NMEA 4800 is the lowest possible setting, and it is perfectly enough for all data you need. Higher rates are possible but do not give any advantage - your position update will still be once a second. The big factor here is the implementation of the serial port monitor - can it handle the faster stream, does it allow multitasking etc). If NMEA 4800 works for you then leave it with that.

3. Not sure if WinFast works with the chipset of the haicom. Make sure you are not changing protocol and bit rate at the same time, this may deliver a dead brick (you'll have to drain the backup battery if that happens, to get it back to NMEA 4800

4. WAAS/EGNOS is for Differential GPS. To increase the location accuracy. Try it out for yourself, but you may find that you don't need it for street navigation. It is supposed to help for aviation and marine use

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WinFast Navigator will work on the 303 providing it's the 303MMF. If it's the 303E then you'll need to use the Evermore program to configure the GPS.

I guess the onjly real benefit from usingi a high baud on NMEA is to put the processor of the Pocket PC into a low wait state quicker causing less interference. You will get interference on sleeves like Navman and this is where the benefit comes in, but CF cards are generally RF shielded quite well and shouldn't have the processor interfere with the cards even though they are in close promximity.

For SBAS (WAAS/EGNOS) You'll need to to use SiRFDemo to switch it on. You won't see much of an enhancement when at high speed, but you will see greater accuracy when say walking and you have a clear view of the sky.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: