Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TomTom ONE announced - North America exclusive!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TomTom ONE announced - North America exclusive!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: New TomTom ONE announced - North America exclusive! Reply with quote

TomTom today announced the launch of its new TomTom ONE in North America. The new TomTom ONE comes in a revamped, lightweight and slim design and will be available from end of August at $499.

How does this new ONE compare to the old ONE (...)?

Code:

TomTom ONE         TomTom ONE NEW edition
HARDWARE:   
Design                                     New flat design
Windscreen holder                          New design holder
Weight                  260 grams          174 grams
Size                    110 x 89 x 34 mm   96 x 82 x 25 mm
Headphone connector     yes                no
USB connector           no                 yes (to charge device)
Battery life            2 hours            2 hours

The press release is below:

http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=4&NID=284&Language=4

TomTom US Press release wrote:
Aug 17 2006

TomTom Introduces TomTom ONE in North America

~ Company unveils all-in-one navigation solution with slim design ~

Concord, MA, August 17, 2006 – TomTom, the world’s leading personal in-car navigation solution provider, today announces the launch of its new TomTom ONE in North America. TomTom ONE combines a lightweight, slim design with TomTom’s award winning software at just $499.

Combining ease of use, portability, TomTom’s patented touch screen technology and award winning software, the new TomTom ONE fits in any shirt pocket and can easily be taken from car to car. The new ONE does not compromise screen size or quality and features a sleek lightweight design (only 5.6 ounces) and ultra compact measurements (3.8 inches x 3.2 inches x 1.0 inch).

“The new TomTom ONE is TomTom’s most compelling all-in-one entry level product offering yet, demonstrating TomTom’s commitment to making navigation a reality for everyone,” said TomTom Inc. president Jocelyn Vigreux. “TomTom ONE is not only the most affordable integrated product we have brought to market, it also boasts exceptional quality in a streamlined easy to use package.”

In addition, drivers have access to all TomTom PLUS services including real-time traffic and weather reports and updates on road conditions. Users can also take advantage of TomTom HOME, the software package that efficiently manages content between one’s PC or MAC and TomTom device. Via TomTom HOME users can easily plan routes, download voices and install maps to keep their TomTom up to date anytime.

“Demand for portable GPS navigation continues to evolve in North America and Europe,” said Thilo Koslowski, Research Vice President, Gartner Inc. “With the launch of new, easy-to-use and cost-effective devices, robust GPS navigation will be affordable for any consumer and no longer limited to affluent users.”

The new TomTom ONE provides an entry-level option to TomTom’s comprehensive product offering, which now includes:

- TomTom GO 910: pre-installed maps of the US, Canada and Europe; optimized screen size, text-to-speech technology, hands-free calling via Bluetooth-enabled phones, and a 20GB hard drive enabling drivers to play music and view image
- TomTom GO 510: pre-installed maps of the US and Canada on an SD card, optimized screen size, and hands-free calling via Bluetooth-enabled phones
- TomTom ONE: TomTom’s newest entry level all-in-one portable navigation device
- TomTom RIDER: the portable all-in-one navigation solution designed specifically for motorcycles and scooters
- TomTom NAVIGATOR: navigation software for PDAs
…………………………………

Pricing & Availability:
The new TomTom ONE will be available at major retailers across the United States starting in late August 2006 and will retail for $499.

Click here for the full TomTom press release.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more images:

MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Perhaps small enough to be vent mounted rather than having to have an obvious suction cup.
WelshTom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great - but North America only? Surely this will make it over to Europe?
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good but no headphone socket - no buy!
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price is more than twice what Woolworths are selling the ONE for so it seems very bad deal - especially if no headphone socket so is difficult to use on foot or motorcycle. The USB charge is useful, but I have just got a lead from Ebay for under £4 that will do that for me.
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I don't know what TT have against headphone sockets; must save them all of 10 pence per unit!
Well of course it could help with size but where there's a will, there's a way!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

julianbarker wrote:
The price is more than twice what Woolworths are selling the ONE for so it seems very bad deal - especially if no headphone socket so is difficult to use on foot or motorcycle. The USB charge is useful, but I have just got a lead from Ebay for under £4 that will do that for me.

The $499 price is in US Dollars. Given the price of their x10 units the new ONE if it is ever released in Europe is likely to come in under the x510 which costs around £310.00.
baradine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: TomTom ONE is available in England now Reply with quote

I have just returned from a vacation in Great Britain and I purchased a ONE at Halfords for 250 pounds (approx. $500). The unit works very well and comes equipped with maps of Great Britain. I presume other Eurpoean maps must be available too.
pan-air
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US new version's CPU runs @ 266 MHz and the UK current version runs @ 380 MHz, both have 32 MB RAM and still 3.5" 320 x 240 screen

I don't see any major differences apart from design and that it probably will have version 6.xx software unless the USA are running on something else?

Also just seen that it also will have

Optional warning when exceeding recorded speed limit

Sign post information
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a ONE for £189 in the UK = $360. OK, not twice, only 50% more expensive for a significantly lower specified device. Yes, it is lighter and thiner than the UK ONE, but with no headphone socket it becomes difficult to use it on two wheels or on foot with headphones, and the UK ONE works very wel llike that. I now understand that the processor is much slower also.
WelshTom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing the cheapest price you can find a TomTom one for is not really a fair comparison as the press release will be quoting the RRP for the new one. The RRP of the UK 'one' is actually £279.99 which at current exchange rates is $525. Therefore the new 'one' in America is infact slightly cheaper than its UK sibling - so I would say it represents pretty good value for money!
Pimmsoclock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price sounds good then, does any one else think it looks like the Garmin nuvi? I guess it was only natural to follow that form factor.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any chance of a UK release? I for one would be buying one.
baradine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: TomTom ONE is available in UK Reply with quote

Mark: The TomTom ONE is presently available in the UK, at Halfords for sure. I used it a few weeks ago while I was there and I was very impressed with its performance. I can recommend it from personal experience. I am now waiting for availability in Canada and I plan to buy one for use in Canada and the USA.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: