Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PPC – But no navigation software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PPC – But no navigation software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: PPC – But no navigation software Reply with quote

I am a Class 1 Container driver and I use a laptop based system at work for navigation. I bought an HP 2190 PPC and at present I have no navigation software for it. I bought it with the aim of eventually replacing my laptop system, but none of the current crop of PPC navigation software reaches the professional standard I require.

The ideal software would meet the following specifications:

1. Import speed camera data, & see graphical representation of them on the map.

2. Import other custom poi’s i.e. low bridges, truck stops, ect & see graphical representation of them on the map.

3. All Poi's to be alerted with wav files or equivalent. (Custom sound for each section)

4. Adjustable/Customisable route generation to prefer certain types of road.

5. Block roads/area feature (that stays blocked until you unblock it)

6. Multiple waypoints feature (chosen by point clicking on the map)

7. Preview route feature (so you can check the route before you travel)

8. 7 digit post code search, search by road name, area,

9. Ability to switch re-routing off if not required.

10. Avoid poi feature (ability to avoid selectable poi on-route i.e. low bridges ect)

At present most software can do SOME, but NONE can do ALL of the features above, In fact the closest is Tom-Tom 5.1 but points 6, 8, 9 & 3 to a certain extent are an issue in my opinion.

What software are you guys using? & how does your software stand up to the rigors of trucking?
Lowbridge-Speed Camera Data
andytl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi most of what you want can be done with tomtom 5.1 number 10 on your list may not be possible though but you can set a distance from say a bridge height restriction for a few miles away so giving plenty of warning to take a different route .I am at present doing lgv training so cant say I have used it for that purpose but I have all the poi's like bridge heights speed cams with voice warnings and it works fine for me.
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andytl wrote:
Quote:
Hi most of what you want can be done with tomtom 5.1

Number 6 is a big issue for me, you can only have 1 waypoint per route! which makes plotting complex journeys almost impossible.
Using the intinery feature to plot multiple points is a somewhat dodgy way to plan a journey, as you can't see the whole route before you set off, only the bit between your current point & the next stop.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use the itinery planner you can add extra way points

i do containers myself and tt5 is fine for me even on multidrop curtain siders i just have quick look at the route on the aa truckers atlas before setting off usually i tend to know how to get get to most places bridges arent really a problem either and we always have a high cubes on with a denison slider my motor has high fifth wheel height im very near 15 foot

poi warnings can be extended also in tt5 roads can be avoided from the the route

also it only takes usually for me one via poit to get t5 to route me the way i want to go multiple way point can be an advantage but for one hit boxes one way point will usually do

at the moment nothing around will avoid a poi what yuo really want it tt3 but it has no postcode serch unless you get an ad on program you can permanently block roads also poi warning takes a secondary program personally i go for tt5 or infomap navigator

im not that keen on the routing of infomap and the program seams slow to respond as well it has poi warning

iGO

this is my favorite at the moment but it has no poi wanings though i understand this is on the way at some point im not sure when though and with a little playing a round you can set the routing up to take you the way you would normally go using the slider. has all the featurs of tt5 but as said not poi warning yet

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate who drives trucks for a living, has used both CoPilot and TomTom, he prefers CoPilot.
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. The reason I am making various enquiries about products is I am seriously thinking about working via an agency, & humping a laptop around between various trucks is not very appealing

Quote:

If you use the itinery planner you can add extra way points

Yes but the problem regarding preview still remains
Quote:

Also it only takes usually for me one via point to get t5 to route me the way I want to go multiple way point can be an advantage but for one hit boxes one way point will usually do

The word usually is operative here, because one waypoint is not usually enough to get me the route I want. & once the software has performed a recalculation you can never be sure that the route you planned is the one you are following. (& that is the voice of experience, believe me)

Quote:

I’m not that keen on the routing of infomap and the program seams slow to respond as well it has poi warning

True, I agree about the slow response but if you set-up the routing options you will realise that this is a very good navigational tool, the fact that this software uses Tele-atlas maps is its Achilles heel in my opinion, The same criticism is levelled at tom-tom, Teleatlas maps are years out of date. I have been running navigator & autoroute on the same laptop for some time now & the Navteq maps are far superior

Quote:

iGO
this is my favourite at the moment but it has no poi warnings though i understand this is on the way at some point I’m not sure when though and with a little playing a round you can set the routing up to take you the way you would normally go using the slider. Has all the features of tt5 but as said not poi warning yet

With the current policy of hiding speed cameras behind bushes & not putting up the speed sign until you’ve passed it, I refuse to use any software that cannot load/warn camera/poi data, it’s a minimum requirement.

I think I'll do some more research &/or wait for the software specification I need to appear
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing some research over the last week to see if I could get software that meets the specification I need. I don’t think any software is available For the PPC,. But there seems to be a standalone Garmin unit that seems to fit the bill. It’s Garmin’s Streetpilot 2750 or 2850. The quotes below are taken from various reputable sources available on the net. I would be grateful if any one could add to these comments preferably from personal experience

Quote:

1. Import speed camera data, & see graphical representation of them on the map.
2. Import other custom poi’s i.e. low bridges, truck stops, ect & see graphical representation of them on the map.

“Import custom POIs such as restaurants and safety cameras from industry-standard CSV files with Garmin’s poi loader”
Quote:

3. All Poi's to be alerted with wav files or equivalent. (Custom sound for each section)

“Proximity-alert feature warns of upcoming custom POIs, such as safety cameras and school zones”.
Quote:

4. Adjustable/Customisable route generation to prefer certain types of road.

“Custom road preference allows user to prioritize choice of back roads or major highways”
Quote:

5. Block roads/area feature (that stays blocked until you unblock it)

“Drivers can also tell the unit to avoid specific areas or road segments when calculating a route”.
Quote:

6. Multiple waypoints feature (chosen by point clicking on the map)

“Up to 50 stored routes; each stored route can contain multiple VIA points, which can be auto-arranged to minimize trip distance, up to 254 waypoints per route. ”
Quote:

7. Preview route feature (so you can check the route before you travel)

“Standard for most units, I would expect all Garmin units do this”
Quote:

8. 7 digit post code search, search by road name, area,

Full UK 7 digit post code search- comes with Mapsource V8 preinstalled“
Quote:

9. Ability to switch re-routing off if not required.

“I could not find any documentation on this”
Quote:

10. Avoid poi feature (ability to avoid selectable poi on-route i.e. low bridges ect)

“A block road feature would suffice instead of this feature”

+ loads more features like text to speech, mp3 player ect!
Any-one want to buy a HP IPAQ hx2190? bought in error, hardly used! honest guv.
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry! my mistake,the model number should be garmin street pilot 2720 & 2820 respectively
darrenwright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing agency driving at the moment & the truck changes a few times a week depending on who & where your driving from.
I use a navman icn520 & downloaded the lowbridges onto it, I also check the route on my AA atlas map before leaving the depots.

the navman is a good aid & easy & compact so you can move it from truck to truck or at the end of the day
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gangalee wrote:
Embarassed Sorry! my mistake,the model number should be garmin street pilot 2720 & 2820 respectively

Garmins are pretty good units, robust and reliable.

A nice feature is that you can create a route on your PC with the Mapsource software and upload it into the GPS unit if you are doing a particularly complex route or you have special requirements.
Haydn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Garmins are pretty good units, robust and reliable.

A nice feature is that you can create a route on your PC with the Mapsource software and upload it into the GPS unit if you are doing a particularly complex route or you have special requirements.

Skippy,

Can you tell me which Garmin units support this feature ?

It sounds like what I need to plan routes to use when motorcycling.

Haydn
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haydn wrote:
Can you tell me which Garmin units support this feature ?

It sounds like what I need to plan routes to use when motorcycling.

Yep, it's an awesome feature for on the bike, especially for the "scenic routes" which are neither shortest or quickest as the unit wants to calculate.

My Quest does it, I'm pretty sure the Street Pilot 26xx and 27xx series do it. Unfortunately Garmin have dumbed down many of the other unit so they aren't waterproof and I think they have lost the preplanned route features.

The Zūmo series can do planned routes, this is probably the best bet for biking. You might want to start a thread in the bike GPS area and see what people think of the Zūmo.

The other bike GPS unit is the TomTom Rider but as far as I know, there is no easy way to preplan routes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: