Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator 6 works with the 5 separate speed camera warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator 6 works with the 5 separate speed camera warnings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProfessorIB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Destinator 6 works with the 5 separate speed camera warnings Reply with quote

Long post warning - detailed instructions on getting the camera database fully functional on any PDA contained below:

OK. I claim no originality in this – it is heavily based on this post but I felt it worth posting because:

[a] It worked Laughing &
[b] It worked on a non dedicated device i.e. a relatively standard Pocket PC – the other post got it working on a GNAV 10 8)
[c] I am chuffed to bits with the software and the camera early warnings Twisted Evil

Hats of to timanfiya [aka Pete] for pointing me in the right direction – all the real credit must go to him and his co-posters. Clap Not Worthy Not Worthy

I have just installed Destinator 6 [Version 6.0.0.24556 to be precise] on my Pocket PC [phone edition on a Qtek S110] using the WM2003 SE [Version 4.21.1088 (Build 15045.2.6.0)] operating system but I think this will apply to any iPAQ or other pocket PC. After a little fiddling and following the ideas behind this post I have all the sub-sections of the Pocket GPS Speed Camera Database operating each with a different warning image and different voice warnings.

So here is how I did it:

First of all download the latest version of the Pocket GPS Speed Camera Database and extract the files to an easy to find folder and then navigate to the folder that contains the Destinator 3 files.

…My Download Files\Speed Camera Database Version 4.074 22 July 2006\SatNav System\Destinator 3

Within this directory there are three extracted folders – choose the one labelled “UK - Consolidated by type (Gatso, Mobile, etc)”. This contains a further zipped file called “pgpsw-speed-cams.zip” - extract this to an appropriately labelled folder and then navigate to this. It will contain 5 comma delimited excel files called:
pocketgps_uk_ gatso.csv
pocketgps_uk_ mobile.csv
pocketgps_uk_ redlight.csv
pocketgps_uk_ specs.csv
pocketgps_uk_ temp.csv

At this point I renamed them to simplify the following steps as:
gatso.csv,
mobile.csv
redlight.csv
specs.csv
temp.csv

I then created 5 separate images for each of the camera types – basically I took the camera sign image from the TomTom folder and changed the background colour in MS Paint [Start – Accessories – Paint] to green for gatso - red for redlight yellow for mobile cyan for specs and violet for temp and then saved the bitmaps as:
gatso.bmp
mobile.bmp
redlight.bmp
specs.bmp
temp.bmp
To keep it simple [and working] it is vital that the names are all kept consistent [that includes uppercase etc – maybe that’s just my paranoia but it worked for me]

Finally I downloaded some high quality voice files [again suggested by timanfiya] from here. This link takes you directly to the Vickie Archer at 22050Hz set and I downloaded these to a separate folder. Once extracted these voice prompts need to be converted from their native “ogg” format.

I used Ease Audio Converter 3.40 which I downloaded from here. It has a free demo period which will easily allow you to convert all the files should you wish. :D

Timanfiya converted the “ogg” files to “wav” files but these tend to be huge so I took a gamble and converted them to “spx” [speex] format contrary to his advice – and yes it worked. Twisted Evil

Quote:
What is speex?
Speex is an Open Source/Free Software patent-free audio compression format specially designed for speech. It is based on CELP and is designed to compress voice at bitrates ranging from 2 to 44 kbps. Speex provides a free alternative to expensive proprietary speech codecs thus lowering the barrier of entry for voice applications. The advantage of Speex is that it is well-adapted to Internet applications and provides useful features that are not present in most other codecs (intensity stereo encoding, integration of multiple sampling rates in the same bitstream, and a VBR mode).

So Timanfiya – that’s why they chose it – basically it is designed for speech, it’s free and it produces small files. For example my gatso warning file was 77.1 Kb as a “wav” file and only 6.44 Kb as a “spx” file [that much storage space is too precious to waste]

The downloaded files contain warnings of speed cameras set to different speeds – unfortunately Destinator can’t handle such complexity Angry so only those files which referred to the camera type [no speed in title] were converted and stored in the same directory as the image files and excel data files above.

gatso.spx
mobile.spx
redlight.spx
specs.spx
temp.spx

So now we have three files for each type of camera all in the same folder
a database file - *.csv file
a bitmap image file - *.bmp
a voice warning file - *.spx
[where * = gatso, mobile, redlight specs or temp]

Exclamation Please remember Exclamation - To keep it simple [and working] it is vital that the names of all files for each camera type are kept consistent.

Now to get all these onto the PDA – I am assuming you have Destinator 6 [may work for earlier versions] installed – if not do it now.

Next open the Destinator console on your host computer – make sure you have the Pocket PC attached, activesync is running and a partnership has been successfully established.

At the top of the Console click on the Import Favourites button and then browse to the directory [folder] you placed the “csv” files in using the button with the three dots on it. Hopefully you have remembered where you stored the files. Embarassed If so then select the first in the list [gatso.csv] and then click on the open button. The input file name is displayed in the input file dialog box and the category name should say gatso.

Destinator needs to convert the “csv” file into a “dat” file and to achieve this you need to click on the convert button. Once it has been successfully converted [there is no fanfare it just tells you xxx records loaded & File created in the report window] you must then download this to your PDA by clicking the download button. Again no fanfare when this is completed but the filename does disappear from the input file dialog box.

Once the input file box clears click on the button with three dots again and select the next in the list. Repeat this process until all files have been converted and downloaded. If you forget which you have converted and which you have downloaded check out the report window as it keeps track of the process. :P

Once the convert and download process has been completed, you need to copy the icon/bitmap/image files and the sound files to the appropriate folders.

Copying the image files first. Using explorer [start - my computer or my documents] browse to the folder where these files were stored and select the image files and mark them to be copied [highlight the files then hit Ctrl-C]. Then go back to my computer folder – this should be showing a “Mobile Device” icon [but only if activesync is doing its stuff properly]. Click on this and then navigate to the appropriate directory.

This is where it gets a bit tricky as different PDA’s [and owners] may install the programme in different locations. I installed mine in the default directory [main memory] but you may have installed the programme onto a storage card to save your precious memory – thus there are probably two main options

Main memory: install select \DestinatorApps\Destinator\UserData\Favorites

Storage card: install select \Storage Card\DestinatorApps\Destinator\UserData\Favorites

Paste [Ctrl-V] the image files into the folder appropriate to your install.

Next repeat this cutting and pasting process with the sound files. As before there are two main choices based on your install.

Main memory: install select \DestinatorApps\Destinator\Common\Interface\Voice\All

Storage card: install select \Storage Card\DestinatorApps\Destinator\Common\Interface\Voice\All

That is all the files installed on the PDA so now you need to tell Destinator they are there. Open Destinator on your PDA and then click on the big favourites button on the first screen displayed. This should show the initial favourites folder but under it there should be five separate favourite categories called - surprise surprise:
gatso
mobile
redlight
specs &
temp

Beside each of these groups is the small bitmap image you copied across.

Exclamation Vital part now Exclamation – make sure you place a tick in the empty box to the left of the group name – this tells Destinator to turn on the group and issue the warning as you approach the location.

It is probably worthwhile to then click on the Alerts button and then set the 1st and 2nd alert distances. I chose 550 yards and 110 yards as these were the only distances offered – choosing a longer distance may result in false positive as remember Destinator will pick up cameras on neighbouring routes within 550 yards. I thought having the first warning on 110 yards was a bit tight and would have resulted in only one warning being played. To me it was better to be safe than sorry - a longer warning but more flase positives. You can always change this later if you get too many false positive warnings.

If you find that the correct icon is not showing next to the group click on actions and on the next screen select edit group and select the correct icon on the top line and click on save.

Now you are done 8) – so click on the back button and then either go to the map to check out your new favourites or quit to exit from the programme.

This additional work may seen fairly complicated but let me assure you it isn’t and it makes all the difference to Destinator – not only does the nice lady tell you when you are speeding she will now give you a fighting chance to keep you licence and avoid all the revenue generating cameras around the country. Mr. Green

Just to recap place your files as follows:

Datafiles [*.csv]
Convert and Download to your PDA using the destinator console and activesync on our desktop machine

Voice Alert files to
Install location\DestinatorApps\Destinator\Common\Interface\Voice\All

Bitmaps to
Install location \DestinatorApps\Destinator\UserData\Favorites

If you need the bitmaps or the speex files e-mail me.

One last reminder - pay for the database and update you files regularly if you don't want to get caught out. Once this process has been completed you only need to update the database files [just remember to call them the right names! Embarassed].

Hope this helps Thumbs Up

Ian

P.S. If all your voice prompts stop working after you have completed this process it is probably because you have made a small typo and named some of your files different names. when this happens Destinator disables all voice prompts as a precaution. This is detailed in the "DestinatorVioceManeuvers.inf" file found in the ...\DestinatorApps\Destinator\Voice\All folder. This "inf" file states [I have highlighted the important bit in red] in very poorly almost machine translated comments that:

Quote:
// All the fields must be placed in one line. The fields will divided by commas.
//
// Fields description:
// 1) ::MW The multiple word command is a key word.
// 2) A command is being built from two parts (each part is a key word). The two
// parts will be divided by a ‘*’ sign. The first part will describe the command name
// RED_LIGHT_CAMERA for example) and the second part will describe the distance type
// DISTANCE_TYPE_800 for example).
// 3) For future use, (‘0’ will be entered).
// 4) For future use, (‘0’ will be entered).
// 5) to N) The words from which the sentence is built. Each word (or words) between two
// commas must refer to a wav files with the same name which exists in the same
// folder as the information file, (if a file or a command for that matter will not be
// found silent mode will be activated).

// The max value of ‘N’ will be ‘13’, (will allow a ten words sentence).
// N+1) The command textual description, (will be written between quotation marks -
// commas are possible).
cobbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats something i already knew ive had destinator 6 running on my pocket pc for a few months now with all cameras installed i learnt that of timymanfa OLD NEWS aint it
allmen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProfessorIB could you check your PM please I've sent one requesting the files.
Elgin31
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destinator 6 :: Acer N35 :: Separate speed zoned alerts
========================================

There is nothing radical about this setup - most of the previous posts already mention how to get the alerts to work - the difference is that this - for me at least - works with separate speed zoned warnings.
The bmp's show on the map, and the alert text in red is, for example, g40

My Setup:-
Acer N35 with Destinator 6 installed onto SD 1Mb 133x card

I have used TomTom speed zoned files - data plus bitmaps
( These are old files from when the data was free - now I know it works
I guess I need to subscribe to get updated data !! )

Convert data using POI Converter to Destinator CSV format
Open each file but save as g20.csv, g30.csv ... to g70, then m20 to m70; same for specs s20 etc, keep redlight as redlight; temp as temp. Keep filenames all lower case.
Do the required conversion in Destinator console to create the dat files
in c:\DestinatorApps\Installer\Console\IndepIndep\Favorites.
( I personally move these files to a c:\datatoload folder and copy them once I run activesync, as I copy the DAT, BMP and SPX files at the same time rather than letting Destinator download to my Acer ).

Use the BMP files from the Speed zoned data
Again, rename to g30.bmp, g40.bmp etc. to match the data files....

Speech - Download OGG files from the link posted by others
Convert OGG to SPX with Ease Audio converter and rename to g20.spx g30.spx etc... to match the data files.

Amend the DestinatorMSG.Inf file : (Optional)
This will allow addional distances to be added or amended - the data must be in metres as it is converted internally by Destinator to yards - my examples give more appropriate yards options.
(Take a copy to your C:Drive first as backup and rename it. Edit it as below and then save it as the original file name. Delete the original from the Acer and then copy the new file
back to the Acer. This is better than trying to overwrite the original which will not always work).

section: POI Dialog

IDS DYNPOI ALERTED DISTANCES

Amend to the figures shown to 46;69;91;183;366;549 - this will give you sensible yards options for alerted distances.
Once the files have been copied to their correct locations -
Place a tick against the alerts you want and remember to set the two alert distances.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cobbie

I think you're being a bit harsh on Prof there. One line dismissing his efforts in a kind of '...already knew that...', over the shoulder fashion. If you knew that a long time ago then why isn't the long post from you dated 3 months ago?

2 things:

1. Hats off to Prof for sharing. its what makes forums great. And he was humble from the start acknowledging all he borrowed from.
2. Hats most certainly on to Powerloc for making adding speed cameras a total ars* even by version 6. Why we have to go through this bollo**s is beyond me. Tom Tom users download them and dump them in a folder while eating a sandwhich with one hand at lunch break. Desti users have to jump through hoops and it makes my blood boil.

Prof seems the kind of guy who enjoys the challenge and fair play I say but until PowerLoc realise that my 70yr old DAD bought a TT GO because then he doesn't have to do it they'll never get the recognition the core software deserves! Wake up PL!
Holux GPSslim
owl697
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep i'm with Jimbo on that
Well done to all.........

Wink
Stebbo14
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof,
Great instructions, worked a treat
Cheers
Stebbo
dionyios
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im new and new to my gnav10 (a couple of weeks) and this was a good post, well explained and told me everything to do to get what i wanted ... ive serched this forum for a while now looking for how to set up the bits and didnt even know you could add images plus audio so this is a well needed post and out of all the posts i read this is the only one i need. thanks for explaining it .. much appreciated. a post like this that explains everything easily and will be what people will be looking for who have a goodmans gnav10 should be made sticky or something so they dont have to rummage through loads of threads just to find this info. i went through this step by step and it worked great
cobbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has 3 months past yet Laughing Out Loud
alanf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Destinator 6 and distance warnngs Reply with quote

I'm trying to update an Acer n35 from v3 to v6. Thanks for the info above btw. v6 is an improvement and works fine on an n35. The later maps are definitely worthwhile for anybody thinking of the change.

Has anyone got voice calls on the alert distances working? I may be missing something but trying the above I get a 'Warning gatso camera ahead' voice message if I get to 550yd and then 110yd from the camera.

On Destinator 3 you were limited to only two 'favorites' lists with voice warnings called 'Auto Alert 1' and 'Auto Alert 2', so this is one step forward in 6 to separate gatso, specs and so on. However in 3 you could customise these two voice warnings by distance; I had 'Redlight camera ahead four hundred yards' and so on. And the two alert categories had distances which could be set separately, so last warning 100 yards for a redlight but 200 yards for a gatso camera, where you might be moving faster. It seems we may have taken a couple of steps back here.

Or have I left something out and voice warnings cusomised for distance do work in 6 ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: