Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Are there any TMC products?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there any TMC products?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robpow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Are there any TMC products? Reply with quote

(apart from RDS radios for cars, that is)

Would be very cool if you could have a TMC or Trafficmaster receiver for your PocketPC which caused your navigation software to re-route you automatically. I know there's an experimental traffic news feed on the bbc.co.uk web site which I guess in theory you could feed into your PocketPC from a GPRS mobile phone but are any software companies working on something like this? Mapopolis have an option, ClearRoute, in the US but I don't know of anything that works in the UK.

Cheers,
Matt
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically it's not TMC, but LiveWire will give you traffic news in a seperate application, you have to enter the departure/destination towns and any other roads you may be travelling and it will give you updates every 10-15 mins.
Revvin_Kevin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

That would indeed be very useful these days. You can't seem to drive anywhere these days without roadworks holding you up somewhere. As I'm not a radio listener and don't have TA on my ICE, I could really use something which would alert to problems even if I had to manually re-route.
Revvin_Kevin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been looking at the LiveWire website. It does indeed seem to offer what we're looking for (except auto re-routing). Does anyone use this service? Is it accurate? Is it worth the money?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and guess what, a review is due very shortly! It is pretty accurate, I wasn't given erroneous information. Whether it's worth it is another matter. You have to remember if you don't have GPRS then that's going to cost you atleast another £4 a month for up to 1mb. You then have the cost of LiveWire on top. If you have GPRS already then you can right off the GPRS tariff, but still you have to pay the LiveWire tariff.

One thing I found also I couldn't do is that the Pocket PC locks open the phone for GPRS use, so I couldn't make a phone call whilst GPRS was in use obviously. Probably good to avoid receiving calls in the car, but a pain none the less.
onbashi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a shame that the gps software on the pocket pc doesn't realise when your on major roads i.e motorways and you come to a stand still for more than a certain amount of time, because if it did it could re-route you off the road when possible or at least offer you the choice, you could then make the choice depending on how bad the traffic really is, this would be a great feature, who know someone of importance may be reading Happy
Revvin_Kevin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with jams on motorways is that they invariably occur between junctions so that you have no chance of escape. Rerouting at this point is useless cos' you can't get to the next junction and the blockage has often cleared by the time you do, anyway.

A recent incident (which spurred me in to getting SatNav) occurred on the M1 when I could see stationary traffic literally yards after an exit. I had to make an instant decision whether or not to take the exit. Not knowing where I was or which exit I was at or what the holdup was I decided to risk sticking with the Motorway. Bad move - turned out to be an RTA and I sat 100 yds past the exit for a very frustrating 1.5 hours.

Fore-warned is fore-armed as they say.
robpow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first PocketPC software to integrate with something like Livewire and include it with a map subscription which gives you regularly update maps like every 2-3 months will be on to a winner! Hmm... what's the URL of the patent office again? ;-)
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The only one I know is Route 66 2004. This is the text on their web:

"For Britain, Germany, Italy, France, and the Netherlands up-to-date traffic information is available using the internet to automatically recalculate the route. The ROUTE 66 Internet website provides this traffic information round-the-clock and free-of-charge"

But they don't have yet a version for Pocket PC. I got an email from them with this text:

"Dear Mr. Adell,

The next release of our software for Windows CE platform will be ROUTE 66 Route Navigate 2004. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you a specific date for the release.

Please visit our web site regularly to find out more about the product that we currently sell.

Kind regards,
ROUTE 66 Customer Support"

That's all!!

Nomada
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Alturion and Navigon using a GNS GPS/RDS receiver Reply with quote

As per the title, the above two products using the GNS GPS/RDS receiver are quite mature, have been in use on the continent for a while.

But now for the bad news:
Navigon don't have UK maps
Alturion do have UK maps, but they are not TMC enabled yet. I have send an enquiry to their helpdesk, the response is soon....But that was back in August.

Alturion supports TMC via both GPRS (Internet) and RDS. They have got their own RDS to Internet gateway which is accessible for customers.

I just can't wait for the UK maps to come availabel.

On a Dutch forum there has been some speak that next versions of TomTom and Destinator will have this function as well. But again, the UK maps need to be prepared, so I wonder how long that will take.

RDS-TMC is quite standard now in all satnav in the Benelux and Germany, it has been available for over a year and a half in the UK (Launched april 2001) but product support is still limited....

Oh for those interested:
http://www.alturion.com
http://www.navigon.de
http://www.gns-gmbh.com

And a review of navigon but in German...
http://www.pocket.at/navigon/mobilebusiness.htm

If you guys need any translation or more info, don't hesitate to contact me. I think I have finally made my mind up and will purchase the Alturion solution as soon as my wife lets me ;-)

Regards,

Jean-Paul de Jong (UK)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Are there any TMC products? Reply with quote

robpow wrote:
Would be very cool if you could have a TMC or Trafficmaster receiver for your PocketPC which caused your navigation software to re-route you automatically.

I'm surprised none of the TomTom addon programs have implemented this yet, either in conjunction with someone like Traffic-I (GPRS access to Trafficmaster data for mobile phones) or with a TMC feed (or even the TMC website which lists the traffic data)

I don't suspect it's easy, but it would seem the fastest way of getting the service into a route planning app - although I don't know how well TomTom supports realtime modifications to the avoid road information.

Steve
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic-I looks very interesting, I have never heard of it. Do you know whether you can still make calls when your phone is busy on GPRS calls?

What website are you looking at for TMC data?

When there is lack of anything else, GPRS based solutions are great, however I really prefer the RDS-TMC channel as there is no subscription charge, nor a usage charge..
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dejongj wrote:
Traffic-I looks very interesting, I have never heard of it. Do you know whether you can still make calls when your phone is busy on GPRS calls?
I believe most of the GPRS phones support this - ie they suspend the GPRS connection for the duration of the call (so you won't see new updates until you finish your phone call).

Quote:
What website are you looking at for TMC data?

http://www.itisholdings-info.co.uk/
It always used to be a simple text list of the problems, but now appears to be map based. If you look at the top link on the right, you'll see that they are also providing the only national RDS-TMC information for the UK.

Quote:
When there is lack of anything else, GPRS based solutions are great, however I really prefer the RDS-TMC channel as there is no subscription charge, nor a usage charge..
Although linking a radio based solution to a PocketPC is going to involve a hardware box and a connection to the PDA - and how many PDAs support two concurrent serial connections (1 for the GPS and 1 for the TMC data) - as such, I doubt there will be an RDS based solution any time soon, except for the fitted Sat Nav systems.

Steve
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Haven't you read my post above (mean that in a nice way...). The combined TMC/GPS receiver are in existence and have been in use for a while!

Alturion have just updated their solution so that TMC via RDS is now available for Norway and Sweden as well, beside the Benelux countries, Germany and France...

I really hope they update the map data for the UK soon....

PS. I totally disgarded the ITIS website as it has been useless in the past. They are actually the ones broadcasting this information as a sub-channel on Classic FM. The combined TMC/GPS receiver can be tuned into this channel, but unfortunately the uk pocketpc maps are currently lacking the information to link the two together....

Regards,

Jean-Paul
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Alturion and Navigon using a GNS GPS/RDS receiver Reply with quote

dejongj wrote:
But now for the bad news:
Navigon don't have UK maps)

Are you sure Navigon don't have UK maps, I thought the Aldi PocketPC offer http://www.aldi.co.uk/specials_01_11/offers_nav.htm was for a re-badged Asus PPC running Navigon Mobile Navigator software?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: