Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - postcode
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

postcode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellydangerous1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: postcode Reply with quote

how do i install 7 digit postcode on a navman icn 610
GPSinC3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get what are POI files with 7 digit postcodes of Ebay for example, but they are enormous, so not easy, and you may not have any space on card or disk, I gave up, (Sony NVXP1 which is a 650 but with 05 softeare) to install and not really very user friendly.

Not recommended as worth the hassle, wait until Smart ST 2006 which is rumoured to have it built in like TomTom
postmanpaul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont install postcode search as it will seriously slow down your system as the other member said there will be smartst 2006 this summer with full 7 digit postcode search on it but the new software will enable your unit to run quicker.
Ant3000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have the Sony NVXP1 version of the Navman ICN650 and have been wondering about the latest Navman software. If and when Navman release SmartST 2006 for the ICN650 and similar devices will it also work on the Sony or have Sony built some DRM type code into it to stop this happening. This could be important as Sony may take a while to port the software for their device if they bother at all and running Navman software (as opposed to Sony/Navman software) may be the only option to upgrade. Or perhaps Sony will come good and look after their customers.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman software will not run on the Sony and vis vs.
Ant3000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sony NVXP1 currently uses Navman software and looks identical to a friends ICN650 except for the splash screens - I assumed that it would probably run software from Navman. The NVXp1 is essentially the same as the icn650 as far as I know and have read. The later Sony devices are quite different and I wouldn't expect them to run other software.
Do you know it wont work from experience?
Thanks
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't work, you need a Sony branded software update. Trust me Wink
Ant3000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there something in software or hardware that prevents different Navman software from being run on the Sony? I appreciate an "update" would not work as it is different software. But what if a "clean install" of a complete new version of the software was attempted - would this work?
I am not doubting your knowledge but I would be interested to know why this may not be possible. The reason for this is that it seems unclear if Sony will continue to offer updates for my device and the only other potential option appears to be the Navman software.
Thanks for your reply.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman have a couple of things they do to stop maps being copied - actually you can make as many copies as you like, you just cannot use them unless the iCN is registered to use them. From what I understand, it is also used for the software. Take the difference between the 610 and 630, they are almost certainly the same software - (they even have the same bugs), but 630 software with the extra features won't work on the 610. I am certain they will have done the same with the Sony software.

Talk to Sony, they rely on their reputation and not suppling an update seems pretty poor service to me. I really do think the Navman software route is a dead end.
Ant3000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks robertn, I will try and find out from Sony if an update will be available - perhaps after Navman release SmartST 2006 as I assume it will be the same software with, as you suggest, a few mods. I have spoken to them before but found them very vague on anything technical - I would have expected Sony to be a bit more helpful.
Thanks again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: