Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Bluetooth GPS Receiver?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Bluetooth GPS Receiver?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeomansinc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Which Bluetooth GPS Receiver? Reply with quote

Hi there, newbie here looking for advice.

I'm looking to purchase a bluetooth GPS receiver, but not sure which one to get to be honest! I think at the mo it's looking like either the Holux GPSlim and the TomTom MKII, unless anyone can recommend some more?

I have a O2 XDA Mini S with TomTom 5 software.

Thanks in advance Smile
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres the new globalsat range. personally i mainly use an Apos 626

the holux is always a good bet but make sure you get from a uk supplier or form holux uk themseleves and you shouldn't have any problems.

with sirf 3 receivers its all down to battery life really

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
yeomansinc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the reply Smile

With that in mind, is a GPS receiver with sirf3 definately worth going for or has pretty much every GPS receiver got that chip now? I won't really be going anywhere extreme with the navigation.

Looking like Holux then, the only reason I was looking at TomTom cause I like the looks of the receiver, haha how sad!

Cheers :D
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeomansinc wrote:
...is a GPS receiver with sirf3 definately worth going for or has pretty much every GPS receiver got that chip now?...

Apparrently there is little practical difference between SIRFII and SIRFIII when the signal is good, however when it is not so good, SIRFIII has the advantage and should be the current chipset of choice - I will not be considering anything less when my unit is ready for replacement.

I have heard that SIRFIII can maintain a fix behind some treated windscreens where SIRFII cannot. Some people say that you can get a quicker initial fix, but to be honest I can't say that the times for my SIRFII chipset have been a particular issue (unlike treated glass).

As usual, confirm the chipset before purchase, as there is bound to be old stock around, and it has been well documented on these forums how difficult it can be to differentiate between the old and its replacement - sometimes as little as a specific character in the serial number.
Thrutch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to think about battery life and whether you want hardware or software power switch as well. If you are not keeping your PDA powered in the car then battery life may not be a problem as the PDA will probably die first, but the battery life on GPS's varies. I bought a Globalsat BT-338 for the 17hour battery life, but now wish I bought a Holux GR236 (10hr battery life) as this has hardware power switch and would have allowed me to hardwire into cars power (so I read). The Globalsat automatically switches itself off after 10 minutes if the bluetooth signal is lost, so is not suitable for hardwiring (unless you can reach it).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: