Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Bluetooth GPS - RIP???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Bluetooth GPS - RIP???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gazza44
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Bluetooth GPS - RIP??? Reply with quote

Hi
Last week I noticed the charger had broken to the GPS (small silver box type) and as such not putting in a charge.

The dying light on the unit was a continuous red light that remained on and eventually faded whilst I awaited my new charger. The new charger has arrived but despite having it on charge, on and off for a couple of hours, there has been no sign of life.

My questions are;
1) Is it worth perservering?
2) How long does it take to recharge a flat unit?
3) Having read previous questions, I assume you cannot replace the battery but if you can where can I get one?
4) Can anyone recommended a more reliable replacement or should I stick like for like?

Thanks in anticipation

Garry
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly are you sure the new charger is working?

Secondly are you sure the old charger was not working and it was not the unit that was refusing to charge?

I have had the unit when charging from a flat battery, not start again until the battery was nearly full.

I have had a unit not charge but on resetting it by removing and reinserting the battery it charged again. The battery connects with a plug on a fly lead.

TomTom do a fixed price repair on these older units which I think is €50. You can start the process off with a technical query on their support site.

The unit is no longer made and there are far better units available out there that pick up signals at lower levels. Look for a"features" such as SirF III and WAAS. I bought the globalsat 338 which is far better than the TomTom units and I use this all the time out of the car. However I still like my old TomTom unit due to the cradle and its auto power on and off in the car.
Gazza44
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr T
I've checked the charger and the leads are interchangeable (obviously with different adaptor) and the PDA shows there is power when using either lead.

I think it was the old chargers fault as there was damage to the end of the lead.

I will perservere with the charger and try the reset option.

I've seen you can get the upgrade model for about £73, so compared with a repair might be and option. This also has a 10 year(?) guarantee but I will try to email the tech people.

Thanks again

Garry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: