Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - C550 comments
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

C550 comments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: C550 comments Reply with quote

I have been using my new C550 for a couple of days. It's the first GPS I have owned, although I've played with a few others and done a lot of research. Here are a few comments about it that might be of interest.

1. I wanted traffic info, but was disappointed to find that the TMS is not integrated in the C550 as the adverts suggest. It is a separate unit that plugs into a cig lighter socket. As I want to fit the whole unit tidily out of sight this will need an adaptor to be bought or made. The TMS has a separate wire aerial that needs to hang up in the car. I'm going to see if I can get rid of this by taking some signal off the car radio aerial.

2. The maps aren't wonderfully accurate. The unit tells me to go down a narrow alleyway where even bikes are prohibited. Even if I change the vehicle type to a truck or bus it still sends me down there.

3. It would be nice, after you have entered a destination and the unit has calculated the route, if you could browse along the route to see where it will take you. I haven't found a way of doing this.

4. The times predicted to get to the destination are always optimistic, some calculations are just laughable. It seems to always assume a speed of 30mph on town roads, even in London when a realistic speed is more like 10 or 15mph. There is no way of editing the journey speeds that it uses for different types of road or vehicle.

5. The camera warning seems to work on straight-line distance rather than road distance. It gives an alarm when you are close to the camera, even if you are on a parallel road and half a mile away by the nearest route.

6. The bluetooth handsfree for my Samsung phone sounds OK but is limited in function. The C550 can't read the phonebook. I did find from the Garmin website that I can send the whole phonebook to the C550 by using the phone's menu. It is then stored on the C550, and you can use any of the numbers. But as soon as you power off the unit, the numbers are all lost and you have to resend them from the phone. I rang the Garmin support line (20 min wait) and the person I spoke to was useless. He insisted that the C550 would read the phonebook automatically, and when I told him how the website says you have to send it from the phone he said this was impossible because the C550 "has no way of storing the phonebook". When I have the unit properly fitted I will just leave it switched on permanently.

I looked at the TomTom 910 before buying the C550, and it is a lot better in some respects, but it doesn't have the 'integrated' TMS which is why I didn't get it.

I would be glad to hear if anyone has any comments on this.

Sal
DracUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. It would be nice, after you have entered a destination and the unit has calculated the route, if you could browse along the route to see where it will take you. I haven't found a way of doing this.

When you have calculated your route touch the screen on the top info bar and you will see the full route

DracUK
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DracUK wrote:

When you have calculated your route touch the screen on the top info bar and you will see the full route
DracUK

Thanks for the tip!

Sal
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: C550 comments Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
1. I wanted traffic info, but was disappointed to find that the TMS is not integrated in the C550 as the adverts suggest. It is a separate unit that plugs into a cig lighter socket.
To be fair to Garmin, GTM21 webpage does show it with a separate radio antenna (with two suction cups). I note that the GTM20 (US version) website shows a different picture, and this is the one commonly used by retailers.

Quote:
'm going to see if I can get rid of this by taking some signal off the car radio aerial.
I'd be interested to discover if you can achieve this, and if so, what parts are required...

Quote:
The unit tells me to go down a narrow alleyway where even bikes are prohibited.
Try setting it to not navigate down "Unpaved roads"

Quote:
There is no way of editing the journey speeds that it uses for different types of road or vehicle.
I agree - TomTom (v2 and earlier) used to provide this, but I don't think many of the units provide this flexibility.

Quote:
The camera warning seems to work on straight-line distance rather than road distance.
Yes, but again, most other SatNav units work in exactly the same way. Also, devices like TomTom can only alert you to the speed camera - the Garmin goes one further and will additionally alert to when overspeed (I appreciate if there is a 30mph camera next to a motorway, it's a bit of a pain).

Quote:
The bluetooth handsfree for my Samsung phone sounds OK but is limited in function.
For many phones, Garmin list details of how to send the phonebook to the SatNav unit. Have you checked you are on the latest C550 firmware? v2.40 came out in May, and may well include an update to Bluetooth as well.

Quote:
I looked at the TomTom 910 before buying the C550, and it is a lot better in some respects, but it doesn't have the 'integrated' TMS which is why I didn't get it.
And to be fair to TomTom, integrated TMC is coming, but they have not yet released the RDS-TMC receiver.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some people reporting better TMC reception using an External antenna (see HERE) This was used on a different product to your device, you will need to work out how to terminate the lead into the c550 though - don't bother with the addaptors listed on the link - not applicable, in your case you will need to find other compatable components - Mike
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: C550 comments Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice

swing wrote:
To be fair to Garmin, GTM21 webpage does show it with a separate radio antenna (with two suction cups). I note that the GTM20 (US version) website shows a different picture, and this is the one commonly used by retailers.

I bought it from Maplin which says it has "Integrated traffic reciever"

swing wrote:
Try setting it to not navigate down "Unpaved roads"

I tried that - no difference

swing wrote:
For many phones, Garmin list details of how to send the phonebook to the SatNav unit. Have you checked you are on the latest C550 firmware? v2.40 came out in May, and may well include an update to Bluetooth as well.

It has the latest software. I followed the instructions which tell you how to send the phone book from the phone to the C550, and it works. What they don't tell you is that as soon as you switch the GPS off it loses the phonebook and you have to reload it every time. So I have to leave it switched on permanently. But this doesn't help when my partner uses the car and wants to use his phonebook instead.

Sal
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: C550 comments Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
I bought it from Maplin which says it has "Integrated traffic reciever"
Compared to, say the Nuvi range, which needs the GTM10/11/12, which is both an antenna and a box of electronics, Maplin are right that the "box of electronics" is built into the unit. However, they fail to point out that you still need the antenna trailing across the dash to receive any signals.

So, they are technically right, but not helpfully so.

I would chalk it up to experience, and worry about having fun with the SatNav instead Smile
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: C550 comments Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Compared to, say the Nuvi range, which needs the GTM10/11/12, which is both an antenna and a box of electronics, Maplin are right that the "box of electronics" is built into the unit. However, they fail to point out that you still need the antenna trailing across the dash to receive any signals.

But it lsn't built-in to the C550. It has a separate receiver, the GTM21 which is just the same as the GTM12 except that instead of hanging in the middle of a cable it is built onto the back of the cigar plug. IMHO this is worse than the GTM12 because is sticks so far out from the dashboard and you can't tuck it out of sight.

Sal
HughGW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, Sal, I have the C510D - The receiver on the GTM 21 is the little black oblong closer to the GPS plug, out of which comes the aerial wire with the 2 suckers on it. The cigarette lighter plug is the power supply for the GTM21 and the power for the GPS itself.

Gotta have an aerial somewhere, depends on the car a bit I guess, but mine routes behind the steering wheel out of sight and then comes up to the dash/windscreen by the right hand bottom corner of the screen, where the GPS firs nicely, which lets the aerial stretch along the bottom of the windscreen - and voila! as they say. Idea
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must have changed the design then. Mine doesn't have a "little black oblong", and the aerial wire comes out of the back of the extended body of the cigar plug.

Sal
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to finish this off, I had the opportunity to try a Mio C710. It is superior in every way to the Garmin, so I have now replaced it with the Mio which doesn't need a separate TM aerial (It comes with one but seems to work perfectly well without it)

Sal
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All though the Mio Package may seem quite good, my experience through others of Mio tells a different story. And the Mio's Tele Atlas mapping if anything is not any where near as good as Navteq.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
All though the Mio Package may seem quite good, my experience through others of Mio tells a different story. And the Mio's Tele Atlas mapping if anything is not any where near as good as Navteq.

Well I can only go from my personal experience, but for all the roads I have checked, the Mio's maps have been more accurate. As I said in my first note above, the Garmin directs every sort of vehicle down a local footpath. The Mio quite properly doesn't show the path at all. The Garmin didn't show the new section of the A120 past Stanstead. The Mio does. It also estimates a more realistic journey time than the Garmin that was always too optimistic. The Mio's traffic receiver operates hand-held or mounted in the car without an external aerial, and being much thinner the unit slips in the pocket. All in all I'm very pleased.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
The Garmin didn't show the new section of the A120 past Stanstead.
Strange, the Garmin website shows that the v8 maps have the new A120 section in them, so I've no idea why it wasn't there for you - did it only have the old A120 (ie the B1256)?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Sallyann wrote:
The Garmin didn't show the new section of the A120 past Stanstead.
Strange, the Garmin website shows that the v8 maps have the new A120 section in them, so I've no idea why it wasn't there for you - did it only have the old A120 (ie the B1256)?

I don't remember the road number, but yes it was the old single carriageway.

Sal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: