Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera Validation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera Validation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Camera Validation Reply with quote

To help with validation of the camera database, I asked the Lothian and Borders Safety Partnership if they would provide latitude and longitude of their cameras in addition to the maps on their website. They have kindly agreed that this is useful to satnav owners and should have the data collected shortly. will of course be supplying this to pocketgpsworld to validate all the fixed, mobile and redlight cameras in the area.

This seems like a good idea for others to do. If the partnerships are not as good willed as the Lothian and Borders one, a freedom of information request should allow you to obtain the data
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a greta idea!

Any news yet?
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
princeofpeace
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi agree with idea - have seen many forum posts regarding validation - I use the camera database and send in to it when I can - however I do use a number of other sites too.

So GPSW team, is the site below of any use to you, to help validate fixed and mobiles? - is this type of info helpful? - don't want to bombard you with unnecessary info

http://www.safecam.org.uk/CameraSites/

This covers Avon and Somerset

Cheers
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have this data showing all lothian and borders cameras including data on the start and end of the detection zone as seperate lat/long. I've emailed this to Mike so that hopefully the database can be validated for this area and the extra cameras removed
craigarthur
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a excel file with every camera and start/stop zone in Scotland. It;s derived from the googlemaps at www.scottishsafetycameras.com/CamFinderMap.aspx

It's at www.craigarthur.com/cams.csv
bw2020
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using the Scottish Safety Camera website as a validation tool please bear in mind the following:
1. Be aware on the Scottish Safety Camera website above they use eastings and northings to locate fixed cameras and mobile camera start/stop zones. In some cases this data is not quite spot on for locations so converting to Lat/Lon in the CSV file means the co-ordinates are not always precise.
2. Some Safety Camera Partnerships utilise a route strategy where 3 or more sites on the same stretch of road can allow them to operate cameras at any point along the route so beware, not all the mobile sites are on this website. Some may be outside the start/stop zones along a route.
3. Sites of Community Concern for Camera Partnerships are not marked on the map either!
4. Temporary Roadwork SPECS cameras are also not marked on the maps.

Finally not in connection with the above website extra cameras on the PGPSworld database might also be down to Traffic Police speedtrap locations or sites where hand-held radar/laser gun traps are often carried out so not all mobile locations will be Safety Camera Partnership Vans/Motorbikes!
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other issue is that the Scottish Safety Camera website may not have the best details from the partnership. Until the Lothian and Borders partnership obtained detailed lattitude and longitude measurements from their master camera map, they had previously only given out road and nearest street to other parties

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: