Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin C510D Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin C510D Problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGrimsdale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a C550 on Saturday I have never got a signal from the Traffic receiver. It just stays on yellow and the traffic icon on the 550 stays greyed out, despite driving round the East Midlands / S Yorks this week.

Can anyone confirm if they have had a traffic service using the GTM 21 this week or is the system down.

Someone in a different thread said they was watching the traffic on Saturday and it went off !
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGrimsdale wrote:
Can anyone confirm if they have had a traffic service using the GTM 21 this week or is the system down.
I think the system went down for a few days, but should be back up now.
pauliboo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been driving round with mine plugged in when ever i have been outside.
Finally it came on at about 4:45pm today.
I didn't realise that it only covers the motorway network, after having been stuck in a jam for 30mins.

So yes it has worked today.

Oh, i'm in Preston by the way. ooop North
MrGrimsdale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation. I actually got the Traffic info today for the 1st time on the outskirts of Nottingham. It advised of 6 miles of stationary traffic on the A46. I carried on regardless to find the route totally clear ! Oh well, I guess we are not quite there yet on a reliable traffic service. Back to my trusty YQ2
AlanGPS3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="al40"]Interestingly, when I spoke to Garmin tech support, the 1st thing they suggested was to lay the antenna horizontally on the dashboard. It still didn't help me but it seems that is the best way to fit it (based on various other comments on this thread).[/quote]

When I looked in the manual for the c31D in Halfords (they didn't have a 510D hence my question on the receiver) it said to mount the antenna vertically! Thanks for the info on what it looks like, I'll have to wait for my local branch to get some stock!

I tried to keep the radio explanation simple, but a bit more might help. I understand the predominant broadcast FM polarisation is vertical, but some transmitters do use horizontal or circular, or even a mixture. However when VHF radio waves travel through the air, get reflected off buildings etc, this polarisation can be twisted, or even reversed completely. That's why I said the loss was in theory! Nevertheless it's no accident that FM aerials on portable radio sets and car radios are vertical or slanted, but rarely horizontal.

However, it is of course much easier and less obtrusive to put the Garmin aerial horizontally on top of the dash?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGrimsdale wrote:
It advised of 6 miles of stationary traffic on the A46. I carried on regardless to find the route totally clear ! Oh well, I guess we are not quite there yet on a reliable traffic service. Back to my trusty YQ2
Given that both are feed by the same Trafficmaster data feed, it would have been interesting to see what the YQ2 said at the same time...

It's rare that TM get it wrong, but they do occasionally.
pauliboo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanGPS3 wrote:

However, it is of course much easier and less obtrusive to put the Garmin aerial horizontally on top of the dash?

Due to the nature of my mini (being an extremely small windscreen area) and the fact that the aerial wire is around 70cm in length. i have put the aerial vertical up the A-pillar and horizontal across the top of the screen.

I unlike others with "modern" cars, have to arrange it like this. And it seems to work pretty well.

Good luck ;)
al40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sat with my C510 for over 2 hours trying to get traffic reception in various locations (house, car and garden) - nothing.

Has anyone out there managed to get any TMC signal in Glasgow?
pauliboo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps, i can't get a tmc signal with gps switched on, i onky get a signal with waas/egnos or whatever it is.
kelvin66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been experimenting and when I get a signal (Stroud - Gloucester) I've found that it doesn't matter where there ariel lead is positioned. Now it just hangs down between the door and the dash (where you wouldn't expect a signal) and it works as well as any position on the windsreen.

I've found the information about the traffic is quite relaible and the alternative routes seem to work (when availale).

PS. The TMC doen't work in France or Ireland
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelvin66 wrote:
PS. The TMC doen't work in France or Ireland
Although it won't work in Ireland (as there is no RDS-TMC broadcaster), it should work in France with the free motorway RDS-TMC signals, but it won't work with the V-Traffic service (unless you add this subscription to the unit).
Tazz070299
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just driven to and from Birmingham in the past 24 hours with he TMC working perfectly on my c510D. I started with the antenna horizontal on the dash, buf ound the signal disappeared in the built up areas in Brmingham. I then stuck it vertical and horizontal i.e. 90 degree configuration, which worked well.

Tazz070299
HughGW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Still Working! Reply with quote

Mine is still working and getting in lots of traffic info. Horizontal aerial position along bottom of windscreen. It only works when it's plugged in to the 12V power though, so you won't get it in the garden or elsewhere unless you have a 12v power supply handy.

Driven from Gloucester, Forest of Dean, West Wales, Portsmouth, Salisbury Plain area - traffic reports from all over, usually 3 pages of them. And the re-routing is usually pretty good!

Keep plugging guys - it's out there somewhere!

Laughing
kelvin66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally settled on a home for my C510D. It's mounted in the lower r/h corner of the windscreen. I cut of the block at the end of the antenia lead and removed the suckers. I then hid the wire inside the trrim that runs around the door trim.

The install looks good and the TMC signal works great.

PS amyone know what stations RAC LIVE uses to transmitt the TMS data?
hysys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tmc is working fine in France

I didnt have to do anything... but the unit keep crashing in Paris.... Not sure why maybe too much details to draw ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: