Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Auto theft prevention ideas
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto theft prevention ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BunnyBallerina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tonys66"]Ash10 wrote:

The new TomToms ask for a PIN if you set one
{/quote]

good idea but i am still astounded at the number of sat navs left on display in out local asda

What's the point of security if you leave it displayed

OK some systems make it more difficult but the cost of new glass is probably more than the TT
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: protection Reply with quote

>Explain how you can modify the INSIDE of a chip in order to bypass a hard wired security mechanism?

If you look at the experience of Xbox, Playstation, Sky Box, chips that act as an abstration layer are fairly easy to produce. It is difficult to build a secure system, when all the security is in the same place, and the the user/attacker has unlimited time to mount his attack. It is possible if you consider military grade systems, but there is a huge cost implication, and secure management of the key material, using smart cards, whose license fee would be many times the cost of the unit.

The best way to avoid theft is to remove the threat, by removing the unit, taking sensible precautions and have specific insurance. But if the value of the unit after depreciation is only a few hours wages, then it is often better to simply replace it.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: protection Reply with quote

mrg2003 wrote:
If you look at the experience of Xbox, Playstation, Sky Box, chips that act as an abstration layer are fairly easy to produce.

To my knowledge, the Xbox and Playstation were not significantly protected and the Sky box has never been cracked. I've heard of people adding a larger hard drive, but that's about it. Nobody has hacked the encryption system even with all the time in the world and a strong finantial motive.

Anyway, the fact that anti-theft security can be achieved is not in doubt. The only problem is lack of motiviation for the device manufacturers.

[quote=mrg2003]The best way to avoid theft is to remove the threat, by removing the unit[/quote]

I agree. I won't be leaving my unit in the car again Sad
kevpol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: anti theft sticker ? Reply with quote

I have a postcard sized leaflet with pretty badges that you can print and display. (unfortunately i cant upload it onto the web)

email or PM and I will forward it to you.
Kevin.brown@bedfordshire.police.uk

POLICE NOTICE

MY GPS satnav AND ALL PORTABLE ITEMS HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE VEHICLE.

ALL ITEMS HAVE BEEN REGISTERED ON WWW.IMMOBILISE.COM
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: anti theft sticker ? Reply with quote

kevpol wrote:

Kevpol,
Whilst I think in one respect this is a fantastic idea, I am a little dubious to say the least in telling someone my address and what of value is in it (shopping list).

(Made to order theft and burglaries comes mind should the site ever get hacked).

Pity they could not just work with e-mail contact details.
Or at least something that you do not have to supply your address to register.

I also created a card that slotted onto the TT mount, but my friend "Pinched it" for her car. Laughing
kevpol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: immobilise.com Reply with quote

If you dont wish to leave your address - then dont.

The website uses government encryption standards which your average burglar wont have the time interest or knowledge to bother with.

If you actually look on the MEND list (the police list) you will find details for a lot of police officers. The national mobile phone crime unit and the managing director of the company that hosts the website......

Whtever method you use to obscure your address be that only giving email or work details etc PLEASE use the site.

Last week alone we identified and charged 3 robberies on the result of a blind search. :D
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: immobilise.com Reply with quote

kevpol wrote:
If you dont wish to leave your address - then dont.
* Indicates mandatory information.

Kev, I have no wish to put the system down, or pull it to bits for doing what it is trying to do and wish it all the success it deserves.

My point being I still feel that should any organised crime gang decide to have a go at hacking the system, then who knows what the outcome could be. (Equally as secure systems have failed in the past).
Merlin2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the manufacturers ading a simple, dongle type device that uses an encrypted key to activate the unit? All the legitimate user has to do is remove the dongle and it's a paperweight. If the dongle is paired to only one device (like bluetooth, only no wireless) with 128 bit encryption, who is going to spend the time trying to crack a stolen unit and reverse engineer a dongle?

If the legitimate owner loses the dongle, no problem, they contact the maker with a card supplied with the dongle which has a unique ID code. Without that code and user ID details like you would have to give for your credit card, no new dongle in the post.

The dongle could even fit on the owner's key ring and use induction to passs it's code to the GPS unit in a way similar to coded car keys. Add that opening the case would disable the unit completely and that's all folks...

Watch everyone diss this idea now..........
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and then you loose your keys and the dongle too. Or it breaks in your pocket...

Why not just take the sat nav with you? Even with the dongle thieves who don't know or care about the dongle feature will still nick the sat nav only to find it useless. In which case you've still lost it and have to make a claim, buy a new one, get the window fixed etc etc

Just don't leave it in the car. It really is that easy...

There seems to be a mind set that if you add enough deterrents (dongles, passwords, PINs etc) thieves will stop and think about what they are nicking. Most won't. They nick because the opportunity presents itself and they have a chance. If they later find the item useless it's no skin off their nose - and an arse-ache for the owner. They'd happily nick 5 or 6 and find one useful item that worry about working which one of the 5 or 6 to nick because it has less security features.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevpol wrote:
Quote:
I have a postcard sized leaflet with pretty badges that you can print and display. (unfortunately i cant upload it onto the web)

email or PM and I will forward it to you.
Kevin.brown@bedfordshire.police.uk

POLICE NOTICE

MY GPS satnav AND ALL PORTABLE ITEMS HAVE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE VEHICLE.

Thought i would resurrect this thread again, I have only just noticed it and despite all the cynics and criticism thought it was a great idea to register valuable goods before they were “nicked”, this is the time to find all the relevant serial numbers etc, not after the valuable’s have gone.

I feel it’s worth doing everything possible to protect your goods, whilst you’ve got them; it’s not always easy to have the correct info or find the original paperwork later.
If the police still don’t trace my stolen property then other than a few minutes time, nothing has been lost.

As for my address, I have left it in full (e-mails get changed or lost) I can’t see the dumb head little s**t’s who steal, wanting to go to all that effort to raid my house as it is registered for valuables and travelling there. Most houses have expensive items including flat screen TV’s etc and a whole lot more than a £3/400 Sat Nav much nearer to the criminal’s own home.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Stolen SatNav? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: