Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Palm should I buy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Palm should I buy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Which Palm should I buy Reply with quote

Due to some low life nicking my trusty T3 this week I am looking for a new/secondhand Palm to go with a Holux GPSlim 236 and TomTom Version 5.

I am tempted just to get a second hand T3 as The T3 did everything I needed but the screen is (was) poor in sunlight.

Or should I get a new TX or Lifedrive at 2 - 3 times the price of a second hand T3? I am a bit concerned about the problems I hear about TomTom running on the newer Palms. The T3 always worked flawlessly.

Any opinions? Are the screens now better in sunlight?

Thank you
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stuck on my old T3 and haven't changed it for a newer model yet...

As you say, it does everything I want it to, it has enough processor power and dynamic heap to run Tomtom without problems - this definitely cannot be said of either the TX or Lifedrive, both of which suffer a lack of heap and available memory chunk sizes.

I've skipped the wave on the T5, Lifedrive and TX - I'm hoping the next offering from Palm might finally look like an upgrade rather than a step sideways (or backwards).

Were I in your position I'd seriously look at another T3 (actually, I already bought another T3 just before they stopped selling them and I have it in reserve in case Palm don't deliver a decent PDA for a while longer).

No doubt others will disagree... Wink
lemans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eillo7

I am trying to find a good reason to get a "new toy" but as you say the Palm may not be quite there yet. The only thing a T3 does not have is 4 GB storage and Wifi. With SD cards so cheap now the former is not a real problem and wifi I can live without for now (or get an add on card).

I will most probably go for another T3

Regards

Daryl
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good decision IMO.

If the screen gives you problems, try getting an anti-glare screen protector - I found a significant improvement in readability, but bright sunlight still causes problems (and I don't think the newer screens are any better).
lemans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eillo7

I didn't know that you could get anti glare screen protectors. I will look them up when I can get a decent T3 off Ebay. I keep getting outbid!!
Evil or Very Mad
Regards

Daryl
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Palm Treo 650 Smile
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TazUk wrote:
What about the Palm Treo 650 Smile

Aaww - don't confuse the poor lad! Wink
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
actually, I already bought another T3 just before they stopped selling them and I have it in reserve in case Palm don't deliver a decent PDA

I did this, too and, amazingly, after a lot of grief, I found that one of them won't run navigation software, even though it seems to do everything else just fine.

Initially I was using Mapsonic, which gave a lot of problems starting, and seemed to hang, but actually it wasn't locked, but was doing whatever it was doing VERY slowly. Sometimes I would put the Palm, apparently locked up, onto the passenger seat and drive off, and maybe 30 minutes later an error message would appear on its screen ("Can't open serial port", or something like that). Finally, I moved the whole setup to the other T3, and the problem went away.

Subsequently I changed to Tomtom, and tried running that on the 'bad' Palm, and got the same problems that I'd had with Mapsonic. On the 'good' T3 I never have any problems with Tomtom.
lemmy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Tom Tom on a Palm TX with absolutely no problems or complaints.
lemans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys

I am now back to using a second hand T3 and it works a treat. Have tried a lifedrive but still prefer the T3. So much so that I may get a spare for when mine dies or gets lost again.

Restoring to the replacement T3 also cleared an annoying bug I had with TomTom which had been taking 10 or 15 seconds to close down. Now it closes in about 1 second - great.

Just need to get my new Holux 236 working right now. It seems to take ages to get a fix. Often 5 minutes or so. My previous 236 always worked flawlessly, always getting a full fix in under a minute - often much quicker.

Daryl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: