Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion + TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion + TMC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misguided9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Medion + TMC Reply with quote

Hi All

Have purchased a TMC from the from the medion homepage, which came via Germany, for my Medion PDA running Navigon v5. Does anyone know how or even if it works. Have plugged the TMC into the unit and tuned it to classic FM (100.3), which I read somwhere thats the frequency the updates are carried on, then nothing happens. Have emailed Medion and Navigon with no replies.

Any help would be much appreciated
highwayman212
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say this but I think Navigon 5 does not support TMC. Ironically I think version 4.2 does but had license issues with 5. Sad

I suspect the next version will also come with it.

I believe that Destinator 6 has TMC support so you may be able to sell on to another user if you are not upgrading soon.
misguided9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea if the medion-navigator 5 is the same as the navigon navigator 5, they certainly look the same. Does 5.1 have tmc compatibilty in the UK?
highwayman212
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not used the medion but I believe it is a re badged version of Navigon.

Navigon 5.1 does not support TMC. Or should I say not in the UK. I think it works in europe.

I too had been looking forward to using TMC when I bought my 168 over a year ago but it became clear the licence problems were not going to be resolved soon.

I have therefore resigned myself to only getting this option on an upgrade to another software package or waiting until I plump for a hardware change (I fancy the Mio A701).

As I said before because destinator 6 includes a one off fee for lifetime TMC this is favorite at the moment.

I'm sorry this doesnt help you.
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am told that Navigon 6 will support TMC in the UK when it is released in the summer.

For Mio 168 users the AA do a package which is the similar, if not the same, as the Navigon/Medion antenna and software with a lifetime TMC License for £99 called AA Traffic 3000.

I have been trying to ascertain what the software does with no success as I also have the Navigon antenna already.
misguided9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info and advice.

Neither Medion or Navigon have replied to my emails requesting clarification, which I admit I find disappointing.
twinfanman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misguided9 wrote:
Thanks for all the info and advice. Neither Medion or Navigon have replied to my emails requesting clarification, which I admit I find disappointing.

I had the following reply from Navigon, came through 3 days after asking: -

About TMC in the UK:
Our TMC modul only receives tollfree traffic information. Everything that is not tollfree, will not be received by the modul. In the UK the provider of this TMC signals is about to change the amount of signals and the tolls for it. We assume that there will be only tollfree signals for the motorways in the near future in the UK. At this point we have not been given any further information from the UK TMC provider.
Users of the Mobile Navigator 5 will benefit from RTT’s unsurpassed traffic information that offers the UK’s only real-time traffic speed flow data. This information is essential for the navigation systems to provide accurate routing around traffic delays and to ensure that users plan their journeys better.
Traffic data is collated from over 7,500 roadside sensors established across the UK. The information is then disseminated through agreements held with GCap Media and Chrysalis Radio and transmitted within the RDS bandwidth of their commercial radio station broadcasts.

With kind regards
97080 Wuerzburg

MY ORIGINAL QUESTION: -

I have the MD95900 running the later 5.1 Navigator software. I understand that it has TMC capability, but (a) how can I enable this in the UK and (b) do I need any peripherals?
darthpaul
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. They did a fine job of avoiding the question totally there.

Confused
philce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Medion GoPal 350 which comes with Navigator 5.1.

The TMC module is included with a TrafficMaster licence and works well.

They must have sorted out the licence!

Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: