Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Any news on cost or where to buy traffic key code?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Any news on cost or where to buy traffic key code?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrashBiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Any news on cost or where to buy traffic key code? Reply with quote

With the new server live 12/12 I assume ALK are there. Has anyone any news on whether there is a trial period for traffic, how much it is and where a traffic key code may be purchased?

Cheers

Crash
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I registered on the new server and the traffic news reports are still working for me. I haven't paid anything extra for a license key for the traffic news.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to sort it all out. I tried buying a license key for the European maps and they didn't get back to me for 2-3 days, by which time I was on the road.
guc925
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm very anxious to see Traffic working before I have to buy yet another subscription to Trafficmaster. I have now upgraded to CP6 running on an i-Mate JasJar. Seems to be working fine. Re-registered on the eu live web site and can do live tracking fine so the GPRS link to alk's server is OK. I'm driving around looking at huge traffic problems on my route ahead on Trafficmaster but have never seen any traffic pop up on CP6 yet. As far as I'm aware there is still no way to subscribe to Traffic but your reports and others are that even without subscribing it is up and you are getting traffic messages.

Can you tell me under what (road) conditions and how far ahead you get CP6 traffic messages and whether you had to do anything in addition to being connected to the Live server to get them?
Many thanks
guc925
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guc925 wrote:
Hi, I'm very anxious to see Traffic working before I have to buy yet another subscription to Trafficmaster. I have now upgraded to CP6 running on an i-Mate JasJar. Seems to be working fine. Re-registered on the eu live web site and can do live tracking fine so the GPRS link to alk's server is OK. I'm driving around looking at huge traffic problems on my route ahead on Trafficmaster but have never seen any traffic pop up on CP6 yet. As far as I'm aware there is still no way to subscribe to Traffic but your reports and others are that even without subscribing it is up and you are getting traffic messages.

Can you tell me under what (road) conditions and how far ahead you get CP6 traffic messages and whether you had to do anything in addition to being connected to the Live server to get them?
Many thanks
guc925

I don't remember doing anything special to enable the traffic news stuff. It may be that the ITIC traffic news don't have a delay reported for your route. You can see their traffic news at getmethere.co.uk

I've had traffic reports for something on or near my route when its still been 100 miles away.

They get their information from different sources. They have transmitters on AA vans, Eddie Stobart lorries and National Express coaches. If one of those gets stuck in traffic, then you get a warning. They also have scheduled information from the government about roadworks (eg "narrow lanes", "no hard shoulder" or "road closed").

I've also got a Trafficmaster Freeway box and the two systems are complementary. With CoPilot, you get the location (even though it isn't labelled as a point on maps - you get the distance to the incident and the road section highlighted). They also cover a wider range of roads than Trafficmaster. However, Trafficmaster gives you a time for a delay as well as the "severe delay, avoid" message. If you know a route well, then when you know where the Trafficmaster cameras are placed, you can judge when its best to sit and wait through a delay, and when its one to route around.

ALK are being particularly bad at collecting money at the moment. I've tried buying the European maps again and they still haven't got back to me. You would have thought that they would just have a WWW server that takes your credit card and gives you the license key, but that seems too complex for them. Rolling Eyes
guc925
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I'll take a look at that website and set a route that should pass through a problem area and see if I get any CoPilot Traffic popups and post any results back here. My normal commute route to work is round the most congested part of the M25 so I'm pretty sure ITIC must have reports there. I'll keep trying anyway but doesn't look like I can retire Trafficmaster any time soon with the endless delays of CoPilot actually deploying the long advertised traffic service.
guc925
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely no traffic messages at all. I've done real journeys through highly congested parts of the M25 with Trafficmaster showing several miles of 5mph traffic ahead and I've set destinations that pass through stationary traffic jams and still no messages over the space of several hours. Can we compare versions and see if there is any difference? I'm running Co Pilot v6.0.0.68 on a JasJar under Windows Mobile 5. The PC version is also V6.0.0.68 running under XP and the Live connection is made with the server ALK Web 2.0 Build R-3 and Live tracking and messaging is working OK.
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got CoPilot v6.0.0.68 with a T-Mobile MDA Vario. Its using the latest version of the ROM - from a couple of weeks ago, but it worked with the one before that too.

You know that they changed the Live user accounts in December so that you had to create a new log in.

This evening, I tried Menu | Traffic | Find Traffic | Current GPS location near Cambridge and it found about 10 delays within ~ 25 miles.

Have you tried contacting the support at ALK?
guc925
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is promising We may have something fundamentally different between our setups.

Firstly, I believe I had registered again on the new (Live) server since December but I went and created a new account again and it made no difference - live tracking works but no traffic messages.

Now the big one. You say you tried "Menu | Traffic | Find Traffic | Current GPS location". I have a problem - on my CP6 installation I have no Traffic item under Menu just the normal View|Trip|Live|Mode|Detour|Options|Quit set. I checked every menu entry to see if there was a Traffic sub-menu item and there isn't.

So, have I got a broken installation or do you have a special traffic enabled version? Did you enter any Traffic upgrade keys under licensing? Mine just says status: Licensed and gives me an 8 digit License ID.

Hope you or anyone else reading this can help.

All my previous support requests to ALK have taken several weeks to get a generally unhelpful response - I can't imaging I'll have much luck on this topic for a service which is not launched yet.
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to purchase a new traffic upgrade license key which is not yet available. Traffic is still being tested and not yet released.

However, any T-mobile customer can use it for free as ALK and T-mobile have struck a deal for the first year (i think).

When released traffic will be a similar price to the TT5 subscription aapprox £75 i think?

This is simply the cost ALK and TT have to pay for the ITIS data.
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-m wrote:
You need to purchase a new traffic upgrade license key which is not yet available. Traffic is still being tested and not yet released.

However, any T-mobile customer can use it for free as ALK and T-mobile have struck a deal for the first year (i think).

That might explain it. I did buy CoPilot directly from T-Mobile. I don't remember the box having any T-Mobile branding on it, or having anything specific in the registration though. Perhaps they just have their server set up to accept requests from the T-Mobile GPRS service.

The Traffic button is on the main menu.
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iasked ALK at the last PGPS meet. If you use T-Mobile GPRS then its included.
guc925
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I should stop wasting my time looking at this. I sincerely hope that when ALK do finally roll this out there is a short free trial period. No way am I going to subscribe to something as important as traffic notifications without testing it under my commute conditions first. Time to renew my Trafficmaster subscription -yet again!
trpmorgan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello People,

Does anyone have an ETA on when the Traffic addon might be availible???
this was one of the major reasons for purchasing CP6, I will be contacting ALK.

Cheers

Tom
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpmorgan wrote:
Does anyone have an ETA on when the Traffic addon might be availible???

Yes, real soon now (NOT!). Laughing

This has been promised for several years now (ever since CP4) so don't hold your breath!
trpmorgan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mailed ALk, so it looks like I'm playing the waiting game. It is a bit strange tho, why does it work for t-mobile customers and not for others. Surely it's just a case of expanding the service.

Might be sending CP6 (PPC) and getting it when I upgrade my phone.

It does not do what it says on the tin :x :x :x

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: