Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - So does anyone actually LIKE Copilot 6 UK & Eire?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

So does anyone actually LIKE Copilot 6 UK & Eire?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: The good news and the bad Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:
neil01 wrote:
Not quite correct, it is a full 7 digit search, but it doesn't work properly. .

Sorry but isn't that the same as "Postcode search is NOT true 7 digit"? Its still inadequate.

Not at all; the program does search using the full 7 digits, and where the data matches, will return the address.

I agree with you that the function is inadequate, and would hope that the data is corrected so that we can use the function as effectively as we should be able to. As it is so bad, I would also hope that Navteq will be providing corrected data free of charge to ALK for them to provide us with a free of charge patch - but somehow I would be suprised if it is fixed before the next paid for upgrade.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selecting Postcode Centre does identify the correct street (at least with those streets where I have tried it). Of course, this means that it is not possible to select the street number, but I have never found Copilot able to do that properly in any case.

I imagine that the facility was designed to suit those situations wherein a postcode does cover more than one street, which is not good enough, and obviously so to any developer allowed the time to think, where there is one relevant street only.

This is another sloppily implemented feature in Copilot. Most of us will, I think, like Neil01, not be expecting any real improvement during CP 6's lifetime. Personally, I'd go further and say that I would be surprised to see much real improvement at all.

As said so often, this is a pity. I bet the original designer of Copilot, who had such imagination, is frustrated to say the least to see such slippage.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
...I imagine that the facility was designed to suit those situations wherein a postcode does cover more than one street...

So far as I am aware (and am happy to be corrected), while a street can have more than one postcode, no single postcode applies to more than one street.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil01 writes:

Quote:
So far as I am aware (and am happy to be corrected), while a street can have more than one postcode, no single postcode applies to more than one street.

In fact, there will often be a single postcode for a whole rural village - sometimes covering several miles in either direction. On the other hand, if the driver is lucky, a reomote single dwelling will sometimes have its own postcode.

As I say, one solution won't necessarily fit all situations.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so try this to prove my point. It is what first caused me to doubt the system.

In copilot, find MK18 5EH (Stowe Landscape Gardens, National Trust). It is shown as just west of Akeley, but North East of Chackmore.

Now go to the Ordnance Survey, and do the same. You can see it on the map. It is clearly North WEST of Chackmore, and 2 miles West of where Copilot puts it.
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/

Multimap puts it in the same place as the OS.

The real place is 2 miles away from where Copilot takes you. Not good.

Here is the real killer, which proves this is not 7 digit postcoding.
In each, put in MK15 5AA. That is a very different place, according to both the OS and multimap. Try any MK15 5?? postcode that Copilot will accept. COPILOT THINKS THEY ARE ALL IN THE SAME PLACE. 8O

The next place I tried was OX15 6HT, which is Upcot House. Same major issues.
The real place is at Lat: 52:06:28N (52.1079) Lon: 1:27:30W (-1.4584)
Copilot puts it at Lat: 52:04:41N (52.0779) Lon: 1:24:52W (-1.4145)
They are a mile and a half apart. Copilot puts all OX15 6?? postcodes in the same place.

I've also tried it with my own post code. That works OK, and the postcode centre matches the OS and multimap. Copilot also has correct mapping for the postcode variations. So, on the map its right. But, it gives me choice of several streets, which is wrong.

Clearly there are anomalies, and inconsistencies in the mapping from place to place. It could be the mapping provided by Navteq. At least, that is what COpilot say when I spoke to the support desk. Now I'll see what Navteq say.

I hope that wherever you are going to, its one of the accurate places!
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:

Quote:
The real place is 2 miles away from where Copilot takes you. Not good.

Yes, I agree. Copilot does sometimes produce such locational errors. However, that is a different problem from the one so far discussed; i.e. where a choice of streets is offered when the postcode applies only to one of them.
a-jacko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: i was conned Reply with quote

How can anyone defend CoPilot, it is simply rubbish as far as the 7 digit post code goes, the only reason i got this software was because it said it supports 7 digit post code.When i go to http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ I simply type in the 7 digit post code and it gives me a map pointing to the centre of the 7 digit post code (99% of the time i am within yards of my target). It doesn't ask me for any other info, if i also have to type the address in whats the point in putting postcode in. My copilot will be on ebay next week, altho i am slightly worried that when i post it off it will end up a couple of miles from the address where i posted it to.

Quote:
In fact, there will often be a single postcode for a whole rural village - sometimes covering several miles in either direction.

I use post codes daily in rural areas and have never so far found a postcode to cover several miles, but maybe one day i will Confused
ukmaverick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having Driven 700,000 miles for work in the last 20 years, I was very sceptical about sat-navs. My work got me a 'PDA' which came bundled with 'Co-pilot 6', our phone provider said its as good as TomTom.

It was supposed to have a full 7 digit postcode database in it but when I stared using it i was dismayed to find that it offered no suggestions for roads tying up with any post code for rural areas. Instead it offers postcode 'Center' but this proves to be the postcode center of the 1st 3 or 4 digits of the p-code! This gets you within 2-3 miles of where you actually want to go! Sadly I can get that close to most places in SE England without even resorting to a map.

I tried using the thing for 2 or 3 weeks but it never actually got me to anywhere reliably, I always had to use streetmap on my pda to actually get to my customers premises.

I have now installed TomTom, and from a couple of weeks use it appears to be brilliant! Watch this space!

I wouldn't recommend Co-pilot to my worst enemy.....2nd thoughts maybe i would coz then he'd never find me :-)
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't purchase this unfriendly rubbish in a million years.....having used my sons....even he's given up on it and jumped into bed with TT.
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Probably the last time I post on this Copilot forum, because I have deserted Copilot and gone with Route 66 Navigator.

I have stayed with Copilot ever since it was originallly iNS(iPaq navigation system)

I have waited patiently for new versions and looked forward to new features - yet all the time I watched other products released and offering more features, especially with the release of the new portable TomTom's

I think biggest issue for me was traffic updates. Its ok for customers on T-mobile but how about the rest of us!!!!

So I spent £40 (yes thats all) on getting Route 66 navigator that includes the maps for GB/IRL. By the way these maps are the latest released via Navtech at Q2 2006 (august). The installation CD did not have the latest version of navigator, so going to R66's website I downloaded the latest version, along with the safety camera update application. The safety camera app, allows you to just click an update button and all of the camera dB's etc are updated.

Upon use, how do they compare.....well i miss the full postcode entry to find a location (R66 offers 4/5 char postcode entry) - however R66 offers "Fuzzysearch", for example finding 129 Victoria Street, London could be entered as vic st 129 lon - and it finds it, also searching POI's I could enter thom hosp for St Thomas' Hospital - so although different I think i will get used to it.

Even on my VGA M5000, the 3d screen refresh is more smooth than the 3d view in copilot. POI's (of which speed cameras are part of) are alerted fabulously along with the detail of speed limits. You get a nice big speed alert when going above either current speed limit or if youve set a separate limit for your max speed.

Although upon first install you have to format the destination memory card, afterwards you can just transfer the files to your main card and reinstall the app from the 2577 directory and it works fine. Another bonus is that the app doesnt install hundreds of bmp's into the main memory (this takes up about 1.2mb) so the footprint is very small.

Finally the biggest advantage is traffic - its free, and updates when you want (Never, 10min, 20min, 30min or on demand) and delivers dynamic rerouting when incidents have occured.

Additional features not tried yet are sending SMS of your position and to automatically call a poi.

So thats it comparison over. Negative comments on R66 are that sometimes the interface is not user friendly. Planning a route and switching to navigating is a little cumbersome and if launching without access to a GPS device it can take about a minute to fully launch. But, overall I am pleased I took the plunge and bought this product.

I hope CP7 is a massive improvement and solves all the issues mentioned on this board, but given the choice of £110 upgrade to CP7 or purchasing R66 for £40 and with the most update maps possible - it was a no brainer!!

Matt

Last edited by matt1971 on Fri May 11, 2007 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
ahenry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that is annoying me the most about CoPilot 6 at the moment is the way that they have sent out 2-3 updates to the original, but to install them, you have to start from the original version, uninstall it, install the first patch, uninstall that, twice, and so on.

I've got the European maps for CP6, so I might keep it on a memory card in case I'm abroad, but switching to something else for day to day use in the UK is sounding better and better.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the maps showing railwaylines or not is not a very big issue since buying a t-mobile compact3 and getting copilot with it I've used it as my main satnav as its all one unit also with my girlfreind living in another country at the moment and being a driver the live tracking has come in handy

the routing is ok not perfect but what is postcode search for me is adequate enough to find every place I've used it to guide me to (long distance hgv driver) though I'd wait for v7 to come out

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: