Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Observer on Sony Nav-U50/70: full instructions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Observer on Sony Nav-U50/70: full instructions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All satnav maps on all systems are always outdated. Even when they are crisp and shiney new, they are about a year behind the reality on the roads, as far as I can see.
JD76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dippy you are some sort of cool dude to come up with this but I'm afraid I've hit a snag at virtually stage one.
Prologue: I've got the unit connected via ActiveSync and all appears well there.
However when I hit "explore" all that's in there in mounted volume is a file called install and that contains nothing at all.
I've downloaded windows ce 5.0.
I've downloaded showtaskbar.exe (4 kb...can that be right??)
When I try to open that I'm told it's not a valid win32 application.
Same thing happens with nav-u.exe which I extracted from the cd.
Which screamingly obvious bit (to you clever guys) am I missing here?
Yours in desperation, Confused
JD
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you don't need to download win ce at all - it's part of the unit, so forget that bit!

Does the unit still work, firstly?
JD76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, all works a treat, even gettings gps signals in my home office.
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you can't see any folder names on the unit when exploring the device via Activesync? Not even the Windows folder? You ARE exploring the device, not your pc?
JD76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me the procedure please and I'll tell you where I'm going wrong.
I connect the unit to the PC and the screen shows "connecting" and a series of blue dots running between an icon for the PC and an arrow in a circle which I assume is the icon for the unit.
ActiveSync window appears on PC screen showing that it is connected and synchronised.
Go from here please.
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choose the explore device option from within Activesync and the window that opens will be the folders on your Sony.
paul9619
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guide Dippy. Got everything working a treat on my nv-50.

Does anyone else find that the cameras are reporting at about 20-30meters out. I have the distance set to 300m and it very rarely hits 0m as I go bar its more like 20-30???

Is this just the way it is?
Elena
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Problem Reply with quote

I've got a problem: when i Launch POI Observer first time, it didn't complain that it can't find wav/bmp files nor a poi database. And when I see a coloured bell in the task bar at the bottom, it's only yellow, it doesn't go green.
When I finished all the steps, navigator couldn't find gps. It says: 'A GPS reseiver has been detected, but a convenient GPS signal is not available. The reseption is obstructed or the reseiver is being initialised' Don't know what to do now. If you have any idea, I would be gratefull.
paul9619
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem Reply with quote

Elena wrote:
I've got a problem: when i Launch POI Observer first time, it didn't complain that it can't find wav/bmp files nor a poi database. And when I see a coloured bell in the task bar at the bottom, it's only yellow, it doesn't go green.
When I finished all the steps, navigator couldn't find gps. It says: 'A GPS reseiver has been detected, but a convenient GPS signal is not available. The reseption is obstructed or the reseiver is being initialised' Don't know what to do now. If you have any idea, I would be gratefull.

Hi, mine did the same as this so don't worry about the errors not coming up. Are you in an area that you will get a GPS Signal???

The bell will only turn green if you have a GPS Signal. I take it you have taken the unit outside to test it. As you will obviously not get a GPS signal indoors.

Or if you have used the on/off switch at the bottom of the unit then it can sometimes take 10-15 minutes for the unit to find a GPS Lock.

The only other thing I can suggest is to press deactivate on the POIObserver software and then check that it says VirtualCom and not Standalone. Then activate it again.

Hope that helps
Dippy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you successfully changed prefs.ini and saved it to the Sony? Sounds like you didn't forward the gps signals from port 5 perhaps?
Elena
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine, everything is working now, thank you very much!!! :D
r4bkk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Really cant do this Reply with quote

Hi can any one tell me if their is someplace in the UK to send the sony unit to get the software installed, and also the cost thanks
Vikash_sinha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just be patient. sony has laucnhed a website through which you can download speed camera database. it was actve in dec for few days , but now probably they are workng on it. here is the link. http://www.navu.sony-europe.com/
tox99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dippy wrote:
Choose the explore device option from within Activesync and the window that opens will be the folders on your Sony.

well i have a u50 atm and when i explore the device i can c the folders but they are all empty atm only the mounted folder has a my flash disk folder witch is empty aswell so im stuck here help please cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: