Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD Cards.. Is High speed worth it....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD Cards.. Is High speed worth it....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyrant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: SD Cards.. Is High speed worth it.... Reply with quote

I see there are "High Speed" SD cards available..

Are they worthwhile buying.. Is there a marked difference in speed.
I am going to be running Tomtom Nav 5, on my Ipaq H4150.

Just not sure whether its worth paying extra for a high speed card, or to go with a standard card. Will it make the sat nav run any smoother.

Rgds
neil
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my own experience, since using the Kingston Ultimate 512MB 133x High Speed card, the blue arrow on screen shows me actually passing a turning when I'm doing so, with my previous card, Kingston 1 Gig Standard, it always showed slightly behind where I was. Also the final voice indication, turn right or left, at, for example, a T junction, now comes about 20 yards ahead of the junction instead of at it.

Check the speed of your device, it may be 133x or 166x, get a card to match.

Have a look http://www.choicestationery.com/index.html
Tyrant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas how to check the speed of my Ipaq..
I am trying to find out some info on the internet which tells me what speed , but cant find anything..

Rgds
Neil
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the following information on several sites.

Quote:
Expansion slot Integrated SD slot - supports SD/MMC type standard memory, SDIO options

It looks like Standard memory is your only option.

Check out the different standard cards, maybe some are faster than others. I would check but just realised the time.

If you are getting 'lag', try turning off any points of interest you have shown, this can make quite a difference.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrant wrote:
Any ideas how to check the speed of my Ipaq..
I am trying to find out some info on the internet which tells me what speed , but cant find anything..

Rgds
Neil

Bench test with the Pocket Mechanic demo. http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?associateid=373&id=12178
Note that you are not only testing the card speed but the ability of the device to read it.
Though a card may be fast, the device interface probably will not be able to take advantage (unlike a digicam) making card speed less important than most people assume.
Here is an example of others findings http://www.durrans.com/cardspeed/
After defragging my 60x MSD card, the read speed is only 6.5x. So card speed is far less important than card/device manufacturer compatibility.
MDA Vario
Kingston 512 MSD
WM5 OS
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Though a card may be fast, the device interface probably will not be able to take advantage

Exactly. That's why I didn't bother with a 166x.

My 1GB Kingston Standard Card is now in my digital camera, which allows me to take 62 TIFF pics, less than 1 second delay before ready for next shot, or 402 High Res jpeg with no delay between shots.

I suppose the only possible advanage Tyrant may have of using a 133x is, at least he'll know his device interface will be working full speed. Although would a few milliseconds make much difference?

Maybe others with an Ipaq H4150 running Tomtom Nav 5 could say which card they use.
Tyrant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the replies.

I kinda guessed that the cards would be faster than the IPaq could process. I am thinking on getting a 256mb Kingston elite pro , which is one up from the standard card, but not the ultimate which is fastest.
I think that maybe it would be better to put my four maps on 2 seperate 256 cards, rather than put them all on a 1gb card..
My guessing is more space on the card to search , maybe the slower the sat nav might display the info... It might only be a matter of hundredths or thousands of a second, but maybe more efficient all the same.
Tyrant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a live web troubleshooting session with an HP Engineer, and he told me that the Maximum rate for the H4150's SD slot was 17MBps.

Therefore I am gonna get a card which transfers at about that amount.

Thanks for all your help.

Rgds
Neil
nobbybob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i realise this might be slightly off topic but the hp ipaq helpsite trys to install some somftware to analyze my ipaq which keeps crashing my pc.
so here goes i got an ipaq 3870 and am trying to install tomtom nav 5 but my ipaq can not see some sd cards at all and some it tells me to format but when i try it gives me an error code 31 or 20 . i have upgraded the rom on my ipaq ( 2.20) but still no joy . these sd cards work fine in my 2210 so its not an sd card problem ,, any ideas //?? cheers
chapsworth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just puchased one of the £17.99 (although it's gone down a £1 this week!) SD cards (Dane Elec badged Toshiba) from 7dayshop. Using this with Memory Map on my 2210 and the speed seems fine.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: