Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How often do you get this kind of instruction?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How often do you get this kind of instruction?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TraceT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: How often do you get this kind of instruction? Reply with quote

Travelling southbound through Rotherham, I was instructed to take a left and two rights less than 300 yds apart only to end up on the road I was already on. I 'm familiar with this road so I ignored the instruction{although it's probably the map data TomTom had at the time it was made}. What I want to know is; does this happen often as wouldn't know any different in an unfamiliar area. Confused
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously it thinks there's no right turn at the fork.
I've not had this happen with TomTom, but I have encountered something similar with Mapopolis. Strangely, CoPilot doesn't do it at the same junction, though they both get their map data from Navteq.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
TraceT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Robin,

You don't actually turn right at the "fork" as it's the same continuous road, you stay in the right side lane to carry on south as it's now like a dual carriageway. The "fork" is actually only for a left turn if your travelling southbound. It used to be a bog standered junction til they implemented dual lanes, actually qiute some time ago.

I'm still interested to hear from anyone else experiencing a similar instruction in other parts of the country, so I can be aware Smile .
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming down the M56 from Chester to Manchester, I was told to come off at J9 only to see that I was to go back on to the M56 again...

No idea why and I ignored it.

This is with TT5 and the maps that came with my purchase last year.
TraceT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmn, Thanks any way

Its strange to me why too but interesting to know.
I only bought my package last December.
The road I go on has been like it is now for the last few years at least. It was a simple junction on the left now it forks to that road. Still can't understand why TomTom would want to navigate off to come back on 300yds further down. To me it clearly shows the route you can take with the little black arrows on the maps.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a check for Quickest and Shortest route and both routed the same as yours TraceT

Quote:
Coming down the M56 from Chester to Manchester, I was told to come off at J9 only to see that I was to go back on to the M56 again...

Couldn't duplicate your route problem alan_sh.

There is an error when using Dartford Tunnel. It routes you along the M25 then via the off ramp towards the A296, it then sends you across the roundabout and back down on to the M25. (Only really worth it if there is a 'snarl-up' and you want to gain a couple of hundred yards). :P

A word of warning to anyone driving via the Chatham, Kent, Town centre. Road works have started to convert back to a two-way system from the present one-way. It will be done in stages and if the Medway Council plan and work to their normal abilty..................... Say no more!
elyl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the USA at the moment, and was routing home from Orlando to Tampa, on the interstate it told me on 3 seperate occasions to take the off-ramp and go directly back onto the interstate again. I remember this happening a fewt times back in the UK on various routes. I can't understand how this bug occurs!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a theory. Not sure if it's valid. Confused

Imaging going from A to B on level ground and say it takes 'x' seconds.

Now imagine the same road but going up a hill (or down one). The fact is the hill, although the same distance, would show you've travelled faster than you actually have. This in turn would show the quickest route as being via the ramps.

So by being directed up an exit ramp and then down on the entry ramp, the system thinks it's faster.

To see the effect, point your index fingers towards each other then place one above the other. Same length. Now raise the top one to say 45 deg. Next turn your hands so you can look down on your fingers. Lo and behold the top one looks relatively shorter.
Wink
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i've had that before once near hythe and the other is on the m25 although you don't actually leave the m25 it just tells you to keep left then keep right
TraceT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
I have a theory. Not sure if it's valid. Confused

Imaging going from A to B on level ground and say it takes 'x' seconds.

Now imagine the same road but going up a hill (or down one). The fact is the hill, although the same distance, would show you've travelled faster than you actually have. This in turn would show the quickest route as being via the ramps.

So by being directed up an exit ramp and then down on the entry ramp, the system thinks it's faster.

To see the effect, point your index fingers towards each other then place one above the other. Same length. Now raise the top one to say 45 deg. Next turn your hands so you can look down on your fingers. Lo and behold the top one looks relatively shorter.
Wink

Thanks everyone,
Laughing Out Loud This is very interesting. I actually think a logical route should be the obvious one, not down to quickest or shortest especially on level ground ,as is my query. I'm expecting too much from the limitations of the software there. Wink
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you don't actually leave the m25 it just tells you to keep left then keep right

I've had that too. It appears to want you to 'keep left' ready for the ramp but shortly after it says 'keep right' I assume for the right hand tunnel or maybe the 'auto-tolls'.

Mind you, I'd hate to have to go back to a lap full of maps. :P
TraceT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mind you, I'd hate to have to go back to a lap full of maps

Here Here.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I actually think a logical route should be the obvious one

If that's so then I guess my wife is right, ditch the Sat Nav and listen to her instructions. :P

Seriously though, my wife really enjoys our journeys now, no more peering at maps, no more minor disputes if we are travelling North to South and she says 'Turn left' when it should be 'Right', but 'the map is the wrong way up' and I say 'turn it upside down then' but she says 'I can't read it upside down'.................................. No more of that. Smile Smile

TomTom's not perfect but would anyone really want to go back to 'paper maps' after using it?
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did this to me when turning right at Old Sarum when approaching from the North. I did not know the junction so assumed TT knew it was no right turn - was sent round some narrow back streets and back on the main road, now approaching fro mthe South - only to have to stop to let someone turn right intothe road I was aiming for all along!
TraceT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I've found useful to see what your letting yourself infor is to browse the journeymap demo before you depart, but not knowing whether a two street has become a one way etc is no good at all in an unfamiliar area. Other peoples experiences are nice to know to boost your own knowledege!

Thanks too everyone for sharing your experiences with me, I can become more aware of these peculiararitites. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: