Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: Origin b2 Speed Trap Warning System
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: Origin b2 Speed Trap Warning System
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general consensus of opinion on one of the other forums that I visit is that if monetary funds were unlimited, get the following in the order:

GPS detector
Laser jammer
Radar detector

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Supatramp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Radar detector Reply with quote

I've been told by a local and internet supplier that radar detectors are now almost a waste of money as very little radar is now in use in the UK. It's seemingly still used in some countries in mainland Europe though.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All static GATSO's use radar, which I would say counts for a large selection of cameras. Also the Mobile cameras on tripods also use radar, but other mobile cameras, laser guns and Truvello's don't use radar.
Supatramp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I would certainly agree that there are plenty of GATSOs about, however, I was only repeating what I'd been told by Radar Express.
Do you know anything about them??? As they're semi local to me and were very helpful on the phone, I was considering giving them my business, however, I've since found Radar Girl and MCN Group are considerably cheaper. In the course of my 2nd conversation with Radar Express I quoted the cheaper prices to them but they told me that the companies involved had been up to 'naughties' and were buying their supplies in a roundabout way because the manufacturers wouldn't supply them direct.
I would appreciate any information you can give me on Radar Express, Radar Girl and MCN Group.
Supatramp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

I posted a query elsewhere at PGPSW but got only one reply, concerning the GPS database side of things and the radar detection side.
GATSO sites are on the database and you are warned accordingly, but that doesn't tell you whether they're live or not, so presumably the radar detector does. Yes??? or am I going wrong somewhere?? I would therefore think it more useful to go down the radar detecting route, as of course only a minority of GATSO boxes actually have a camera installed at any given time.
Your comments would be appreciated.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supatramp wrote:
that doesn't tell you whether they're live or not, so presumably the radar detector does. Yes???
A radar detector connected to a GPS speed camera device will tell you whether the device is active but won't link the radar signal to the GPS data, so will always warn you, even if you are under the speed limit.

Also, I think that when the camera is rear-facing, if you are speeding, by the time the radar is detected, it will be difficult to slow down enough. I'm not sure I would want to speed past a fixed camera simply because no radar was being emitted (I think some work on wires in the road, and hence have no radar at all).

My view would be to trust the GPS speed camera device and obey the speed limit past the camera (irrespective of radar / laser signals) and only use the radar / laser signals as an additional warning when no camera is listed by the device.

Of course, none of this prevents a VASCAR or a simple two policeman in the same car (whether marked or unmarked) conviction Smile

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radar in a Gatso installation will be live regardless of whether there is a live camera unit installed and operating so this doesn't really help.

The best advice is to treat all cameras as live, some will flash when tripped with or without a camera pack installed.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily, there's a lot of GATSO boxes around Dorset that don't ommit radar, and aren't live. I found out one day as I drove by and it didn't set off the Bel Euro 550, and then the next day someone over took me when I was doing the legal speed limit, he must have been doing 20mph over and it didn't flash. 8O
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that these are triggered by inductive loops? I know that some Gatso installations use this method rather than radar. I'm heading that way on Saturday so will check the two I know of in Chideock Thumbs Up
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It is possible that these are triggered by inductive loops?
There certainly are some Gatso that use inductive loop to trigger I believe.

However, I wouldn't speed past any camera site that where the GPS SCD System said I was speeding, just in case.

Steve
frmarcus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Readers will be interested to know that the Origin B2 just came out top in AutoExepress's test (www.autoexpress.co.uk)
AKay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..back to the topic ;)

i have both the RA and the B2, and i can say the B2 has a lot more features, i love the voice alerts. Although i miss the Accident Blackspots from te RA when im in the other vehicle,

The RA is nice and simple, and very effective, the bonus is that i use the Nema output with the Holux lead withTomTom Navigator.
The RA has a nice sequence of beeps that speed up when you approach the trap. (nice and simple)

... and so this means? i love em both :D
i cant chose one over the other Laughing Out Loud Thumbs Up
BlueBox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

i have installed my B2 works well got a small problem there is some hissing noise coming checked all wires still no luck Sad

the laser defuser does it go in blue or green connecter Confused
LostAtSea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the manual here :

http://www.originb2.com/members/manual.pdf

It's blue, by the way.

You need to install a carbon choke round the cable to remove the interference ...
A1Dox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostAtSea wrote:

You need to install a carbon choke round the cable to remove the interference ...

I had to install one around the 12v lead to stop laser false alarms when I first installed the B2 in my Subaru.

Origin support told me they were designing a new part to overcome the problem and after it didn't appear for several months I asked what it was and they said it was just a choke. I got several different sizes from Maplins and it took the biggest one to cure the problem completely...

Dox.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: