Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Purchasing Maps from TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchasing Maps from TomTom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Purchasing Maps from TomTom Reply with quote

My friend has a Mio 168 and wants to purchase TTN5 Software and maps of Europe + GB. The cost is about £125.

He can purchase the above, maps only, from TT site for 59.95 Euros.

So, if he downloads TTN5.21 Software, am I right in thinking the maps would work OK or does he have to go the dearer route?
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT 5.21 upgrade is just that - an upgrade. So, he will be missing lots of bits. Do you not think that TT thought about this ?????
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The TT 5.21 upgrade is just that - an upgrade. So, he will be missing lots of bits. Do you not think that TT thought about this ?????

I thought I'd read somewhere in these forums that although an upgrade, it was actually the full programme. I could be wrong. Confused

When I purchased the upgrade from TTN3 to 5, although an upgrade, it was actually the full programme. I was hoping this situation would be the same.

I'll have to have another browse through the threads to see if I can find it.

I don't want to tell him him will have to buy the software and maps when all he'll need to do is download 5.21 and only have to purchase the maps.

I wish he hadn't asked me. Sad
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a full program (minus the Post Code db). not sure what maps you get for 59 - maybe just UK, and not MRE?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation re 5.21 Ibendlin.

He really only needs GB and France. However....

Map of Great Britain 59.95 Euros
Map of France 59.95 Euros
Maps of Western Europe for 119.85 Euros

I'll give him the details and let him choose.

Thanks for the help.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the maps of Western Europe can only be used if you have already purchased the application and one region (eg UK)
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
MikeProcter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to disapoint you, but, your friend will have to activate the maps before he can use them, and to do that he will have to buy the full package to get a code. Tom Tom aren't stupid, or we'd all just download the full software & purchase the maps for approx. 60 euros.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the info. really appreciated.

Quote:
I don't want to tell him him will have to buy the software and maps when all he'll need to do is download 5.21 and only have to purchase the maps.

I didn't want to, but have.

He says he will now buy TomTom Navigator 5 Software & Maps of Western Europe (including GB) from GlobalPositioningSystems at £124.95.
Axonrus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after reading some of these posts, I am not sure if I am understanding what I am reading. I live in the US and use TTN5 on my Siemens SX66 (XDAII Blue Angel). Of course, I use the North America maps that came with my TTN5. However, my wife and I are planning a trip to Italy in October. If I purchase a map of Italy from TomTom, will it work on my US TTN5 when we go there?

Thanks.
Axonrus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, one more question. If I go to the TomTom site to purchase a map, how do I know what version it is? I would like to get a more up to date map of the area I live in, but I dont want to purchase a new map only to find out later that it is the same map. The TomTom site does not show version numbers on their download site for the maps.

Thanks again, and I am sorry if this is a repeat question, but I have not been able to find a direct answer to my question by searching.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axonrus wrote:
Ok, after reading some of these posts, I am not sure if I am understanding what I am reading. I live in the US and use TTN5 on my Siemens SX66 (XDAII Blue Angel). Of course, I use the North America maps that came with my TTN5. However, my wife and I are planning a trip to Italy in October. If I purchase a map of Italy from TomTom, will it work on my US TTN5 when we go there?

Thanks.

Yes it will Laughing

Axonrus wrote:
Sorry, one more question. If I go to the TomTom site to purchase a map, how do I know what version it is? I would like to get a more up to date map of the area I live in, but I dont want to purchase a new map only to find out later that it is the same map. The TomTom site does not show version numbers on their download site for the maps.

You could try sending theman email and asking them. Strange, you would have thought they would have put a version number on it Rolling Eyes
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you would have thought they would have put a version number on it

Which has awoken my second brain cell, together with the other one I think to myself.

If there were a 'sticky' thread where people could add their maps and version numbers, we could get a better idea of how far behind we are.

Also, if people adding to the list could say if and when they downloaded from tomtom, we would get a better idea of the latest version/s.

Second brain cell now closing down. :P
Axonrus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks!
Axonrus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently sent the TomTom support department an email regarding map versions and what version of maps they had on their website. Below is what I said in the email. I will follow it with their reply. Very interesting...

----------------------------------------
Since you do not include version numbers for the maps you have on your site, how am I to determine if the map you have for download is not the same map as I already have? For intstance, I have the plains-map version 567. It would be nice if your website showed what version of the plains map you have for download so I can see if the map you have is later than mine. Also, lets say I purchased a new map on your site, and later down the road wanted to upgrade again. It would then even more critical to determine the map version before I downloaded the new map since it is possible that the map you have on your site is the same map I already downloaded depending on how long it has been since I downloaded it. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Question Reference #060323-001908
Product Level 1: PDA navigation
Product Level 2: TomTom NAVIGATOR 5
Product Level 3: Bluetooth GPS
Category Level 1: Maps
Category Level 2: Downloads
Date Created: 03/23/2006 03:37 PM
Last Updated: 03/23/2006 06:20 PM
GPS type: TomTom Bluetooth Mk II
GPSType(other):
PC Operating system:
PDA OS version:
PDA model:
PDA manufacturer:

-----------------------------------------------------

Here is their response...

The maps on our website are not updated maps.
The Tomtom GO 300, 700, Rider and Navigator 5 all has the latest map data from TeleAtlas.
TomTom and its map suppliers are dependent on local authorities and other organizations in the whole US to obtain correct map data. These organizations provide TomTom and its map suppliers with the most recent information about millions of roads and streets.

On average, 5 % of the US road network changes at any given time. Our map suppliers have hundreds of persons in their employment who drive through the US and analyze satellite images to register and implement these changes. This process takes up a lot of time and is challenging from a logistics point of view. There are but a few map suppliers in the world that offer good and qualitative digital map information.

The digital map data market is growing quickly. Thousands of miles of roads are being added each year as well as the information regarding the 5% of roads that change. The coverage of the map data, however, is more than 99% in most US states. Exceptions are, of course, possible, but the digital map information that is used by TomTom is the best data that is available on the market.

Our maps have a version number and a date. The date refers to the moment all changes are to be implemented that has been found up to this moment.
Once the changes have been implemented, the map data is compressed by TomTom to ensure it fits on an SD map. This complex process involving millions of changes and the compression of the data takes up time, which means that the maps will always be a few months' old when purchased by consumers.

As already mentioned, we greatly appreciate being informed about errors in our map data through our website. We send these notifications to our map suppliers. They will deal with these notifications. This will mean in many cases that the relevant location will have to be visited to verify the error on site. We attempt to provide our customers with the best possible information in this quickly growing market segment thus ensuring we meet the high standard that we have set for ourselves.

• Follow the steps given below to make us aware of map errors:

1. Go to our web page (http://www.tomtom.com) and log in using your e-mail address and password.
2. Click "Support" at the top of the window.
3. Next, click "Report Map Feedback" in My Account.
4. Fill in the data in the form and, next, click "Submit".

Now you will have reported the map error and we will ensure that an investigation is started. Map and application updates are done every 6 – 8 months. When the next map update is available, you will receive an email with instructions on how to obtain them. The next update will be with in the next 2-3 months. There is a cost associated with map updates and the prices are to be determined upon the release of the email notification. Application updates are free and will be posted on our Support website when available.

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.
TomTom Bluetooth MkII
GPS Driver v1.20
Main Map Used: North_America v665.1293
Parker, CO (USA)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axonrus wrote:
I recently sent the TomTom support department an email regarding map versions and what version of maps they had on their website. Below is what I said in the email. I will follow it with their reply. Very interesting...

So they answered your question then QuestionConfused

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: