Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - D6 Irish Coverage Review.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

D6 Irish Coverage Review.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corkonian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: D6 Irish Coverage Review. Reply with quote

Since D6 is claimed by some to have full Irish coverage I'll start this thread to get peoples opinion on that.

Just got my P350 from GPSforless this morning - unbelievably quick service!

Loaded up the Irish map and had a look - It does have full coverage - every minor road around my place exists - I live in a rural area.
Despite what everyone thinks - that kind of detail was available back with the 2002 version of Route 66 for Mac.
I don't know why it was dropped by the map suppliers between then and now???????
Where D6 really outshines it is in the townland names - everyone around my place is listed - some I've never heard of but don't doubt they are correct Wink
I haven't navigated anywhere with it yet but just for map coverage alone this is all you could want - highly recommended.

So far the only thing extra I'd like to see would be for the bridges to be named.
ChampionC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't agree more with you. They really do seem to have the whole of Ireland. I have been looking around the Skerries / Rush area and it's all there.

In addition, V6 to me seems faster and also the display items are better. I like the fact that I can have the distance and time to destination displayed together.

All buttons are much bigger so you don't have to use a stylus for everything. I have an iMate JAM so the screen is slightly smaller than many PDA's but the onscreen buttons are still perfect.

The other thing I like is the fact that when not using the GPS, V4 always seemed to lock up for about 5 to 10 secs when searching for the GPS but V6 just keep on going.

Add to favourites and Home also works perfectly.

It really is first class and well woth the money - especially for those with small screen PDA's who hate poking around the screen with the stylus while Driving !!

C
aris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
ChampionC wrote:
I can't agree more with you. They really do seem to have the whole of Ireland. I have been looking around the Skerries / Rush area and it's all there.

In addition, V6 to me seems faster and also the display items are better. I like the fact that I can have the distance and time to destination displayed together.

All buttons are much bigger so you don't have to use a stylus for everything. I have an iMate JAM so the screen is slightly smaller than many PDA's but the onscreen buttons are still perfect.

The other thing I like is the fact that when not using the GPS, V4 always seemed to lock up for about 5 to 10 secs when searching for the GPS but V6 just keep on going.

It really is first class and well woth the money - especially for those with small screen PDA's who hate poking around the screen with the stylus while Driving !!

C

I went to Ireland to pick up my daughter (She was the summer term learnig English) only for three days. I didnīt know Ireland so I canīt give good information, but the maps were good.
I went to Kells (Co Meath) but I think (I canīt remember the Co) it was wrong, but no problem at all.

Dublin and arounds really well covered.

I agree with you about the information for those with small screen PDA's , not only the information is great but the input data is really easy aswell.

I liked a lot Ireland and Irish people.

B.R.,
aris
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had any problems with yours? mine seams to freeze then crash out while navigating.

ChampionC wrote:

C
ProfessorIB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree

The postcode and house numbering now works fully - presumably navtech have finally got their act together in Ireland. I had noticed a couple of navtech vans with big aerials over the last year or so obviously plotting the data in and around my area and this has come though with improved maps. It is now as good ad GB.

Good Stuff

Ian
bond-007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the irish maps installed and in the whole is very good, I have found a balck hole , Co. Tipperary. I can follow the back road from my home in Co. Laois to Roscrea in Co. Tipperary but as soon as you hit the county border their is no more road u are turn to u turn in the middele of a straight road. There is nothing on screen for the next 7 miles except all the rivers and lakes but no roads. You don't see another road on screen till you meet the N7 in Roscrea. Madness!
Corkonian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any hangs yet and I use it fairly often - it's installed on a Mio P350.
I have another post on here showing the problems I have found though.

Bond - I used it to go to Drangan Co. Tipp a few weeks ago - detail seemed perfect in that part of the county and it took me by the quicker route - I followed the signposts before and ended up on some brutal roads.

I can't get the multi-stop thing to work though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: